Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
eg
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i freshly rebuild my z6 with honda oem bearings i double checked the clearances and everything check out fine. the second time i turn the car on i kept hearing this medium fast ticking sound. almost like a rod knock. im running 2 1/2 castrol conventional 10w40 and one straight 30.

is that too thick oil to be running on a fresh engine? did that cause the ticking sound.

oil pressure is good.

please any advise

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
recheck valve lash in proper order.

Did you prime the oil pump????

Do you have oil flowing to the head????

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
1991 Honda Civic STD
810 Posts
First piece of advice: You are not a petrochemist, just run the right viscosity for the entire fill up & don't mix brands, weights, conventional & synthetic etc. Oils with more friction reducers can lose some of their intended lubricating properties if mixed with higher detergent oils, but that's a discussion for BITOG dorks. :p I use Mobil 1 10w30 or 5w30 synthetic when it's colder, and an HDEO (RotellaT or Delvac 5w40) when I'm broke lol.

If you used the FSM rebuild specs than tolerances are a little tighter than most cars out there, it's a tightly-wound Honda that can be noisier for the first few thousand miles before things settle & break in. When cold, thicker oil will make this slightly more noticeable.

A sweet, cheap tool to own is a stethoscope. Even the chintzy medical surplus ones can help you determine if its a valve, rod, bearing, piston slap or just a healthy Z6 breaking in & building compression & every day. :)

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
sounds like your valve lash is too loose, i'd go and re-check it. I would run a 5w30 oil (non-synthetic) for the first 500 miles for breaking the motor in right. Then use whatever strikes your fancy afterwards.

·
Registered
eg
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reason why the diff oils if cuz i ran out of oil and thats all i had. i too excited that i got the engine finish that i need to turn it on. i did prime the oil pump. the first start was fine no ticking. the second day that i start it so i can move the car is wen i heard the sound.

if it was the valves , wouldnt it make a higher faster pitch sound? but the stethoscope sounds like a great idea.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
what pistons and rods and all did you go back in with... i kno vitaras can make some noise.

·
Registered
eg
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
z6 block, z6 rods and crank, p29 pistons, oem rod and main bearings micro polished the crank.

it only sounds like its coming from one piston, well thats wat my ears tell me

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
If you are can tell its one rod then it could just need to finish seating. Valve lash is noisy like a drum beat. But some motors do have that valvetrain scratch noise if it out of spec on the lash. I would go thinner slightly and see if it gets worse. Anything thicker isn't what I would run in a fresh motor.

·
Registered
eg
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gear oil in the motor? never heard of that.

well i checked the valve lash after it got a bit warm and it was on point. so later i will buy some thinner oil and see what happens.

·
Registered
eg
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so i changed the oil and same thing. noise didnt change at all.

i was thinking, do you guys supposed the piston is hitting the head or headgasket?

its z6 block with p29 pistons and y8 head. block has NOT been shaved and head has NOT been shaved either

·
Registered
554 Posts
ok so i changed the oil and same thing. noise didnt change at all.

i was thinking, do you guys supposed the piston is hitting the head or headgasket?

its z6 block with p29 pistons and y8 head. block has NOT been shaved and head has NOT been shaved either
i doubt it if you say its only coming from one piston.

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
too much timing for the z6/y8 p29´s combo maybe???

and now something is fucked up??

the ecu was tuned ???

·
Registered
eg
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if i move mess with the distributor the car starts acting up but stock timing and it idles just fine.. so

stock timing and the ecu was chipped long time ago for just a mini me but dont know what exactly what program was put in

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
so, you was running a high compression setup without a new tune ????

sound as bad news, running mid´s 12 c/r setup on no custom tune, is a no no.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
To much timing or to little octane for the compression can cause a knock that sounds a lot like a big end knock.

I take it you did not check piston to head clearance, so how could we know if it hits if you did not measure.

Try some higher octane fuel.

Try retarding the ignition 5 deg.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts