359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mythbusters, Lexus, and me.

^clay.......... ^ Custom panels....

Wtf am I gonna do?

So far my ideas are:

Hard foam spray, sand, dimple, paint.

Find plastic garbage and glue it on.

Beat the car with a ballpeen hammer, following the Lexus model.

It needs to be weather resistant (car is not garbage kept), 100mph winds. I dont care how it looks as long as my car is a golf ball

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
wtf is going on here

·
Registered
2014 Honda Civic Si
753 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
why....and spray foam would be the simplest way to do it

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'm just worried about weather resistance. It needs to be tough enough to take 100mph winds, rain. And bumps.

Anything to get more MPG to my POS project

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Just beat the shit out of your car how it sits with a hammer save yourself time and it cost effective !!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am seriously considering that option. I got spare panels hanging around to get good at getting nice dimples before I do it on the 1/4 panels and roof

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The fiberglass would give it a nice shell that I could paint. More great idea, thanks

Basically it needs to be hurricane proof, just incase I ever visit Florida. And hopefully it'l save some gas on the drive there

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
https://www.generalplastics.com/fr-7100.html
"It can also be cut cleanly with [...] traditional wood-carving tools. Modeling foam is available in densities of 4 to 40 lbs. per cubic ft. as sheet stock"

Someone suggested modeling foam over on hondur tech, and I figure this stuff would actually work pretty well to cover the roof, doors, hood, etc. I dunno how flexible it is but if its anything like DuPont foam it won't be a problem, fill in the space with spray foam and Then I can cover it with fiber glass like Scott suggested.

Seems like I got my products all in order

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So that modeling foam is like 1,000$ according to the local retailer.

Idk about the better distributor they didnt get back incontact with me yet.

The DuPont home insulation board is 51.50$ for 10sq ft. I figure at most ill need 30sq ft maybe doubled up to 2inch thick thats like 150-300 respectively. Then spray foam for the gaps, sand, dimple, fiber glass, sand, paint. Maybe 750$ total?

Best aeromod ever for the price of a nice carbon fiber hood lol

·
Registered
Ek sedan
382 Posts
I had to do a double take to make sure this wasn't thetoaster going off on another weird tangent
Couldn't rep you or I would! LOL

OP: Nice work so far keep it up. The classic DuPont home insulation board technique sounds perfect for this job

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was just trying to figure out a way to get it done without spending more than I should. I'm gonna do my hood and bumper first, in nice pink insulation board, not even wrapped in fiber glass. I am gonna see how the shit reacts to glue, fiberglass, and the sprayfoam though.

Hopefully majestic Honda finally ships me my last few parts to put my engine in this rusty pos so I can take further steps in my hair brained scheme

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Maybe you should try searching here for the info. Long before Mythbusters one of our long time members had the idea.

Was also used by a head porter.....

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
So that modeling foam is like 1,000$ according to the local retailer.

Idk about the better distributor they didnt get back incontact with me yet.

The DuPont home insulation board is 51.50$ for 10sq ft. I figure at most ill need 30sq ft maybe doubled up to 2inch thick thats like 150-300 respectively. Then spray foam for the gaps, sand, dimple, fiber glass, sand, paint. Maybe 750$ total?

Best aeromod ever for the price of a nice carbon fiber hood lol
Think of all the weight you are adding when for $100 better aero can be achieved using products from the lawn and garden department at Hone Depot?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The home insulation board is actually pretty light, not sure about the fiber glass but I doubt its that bad. Compared to using over 1,000lbs of clay it doesn't seem like alot.

What are you suggesting with the home depot supplies?

And wow thats creative doing it in a cyl head, I didnt notice it at first I looked at it a second time and all I think i could say is

"wow I wonder if that works". I know a way to find out

1 - 20 of 38 Posts