Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im always paranoid about my car being stolen, and have recently been looking for ways to deter the thought of it.

searching through old posts, i found a link to these:
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/SPT4261.htm

they would prevent a thief from popping the hood and disconnecting an alarm, battery, etc. what do you all think? im going to have a lot of money tied up into my car/build, and i dont want to worry all the time about it. i was thinking about maybe painting them white to match the hood, and get rid of the ricer effect...

that along with a few other tricks, i.e. re-routing the hood release, hidden alarm brain with hidden backup power source, extra piezo siren...

thoughts? input?

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
well that is one way to make it an extra step to slow a thief down. anything you can do to slow them down will make them move onto an easier target. install some kill switches in the car, hide them of course. get a good alarm and hide the brain in a really hard spot to get to. use a back up battery as well. put in 2 sirens, one under the seat if possible. also use one of those clutch lock bars. if you really want to get serious, get a wheel lock. I am talking about the boot!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
well that is one way to make it an extra step to slow a thief down. anything you can do to slow them down will make them move onto an easier target. install some kill switches in the car, hide them of course. get a good alarm and hide the brain in a really hard spot to get to. use a back up battery as well. put in 2 sirens, one under the seat if possible. also use one of those clutch lock bars. if you really want to get serious, get a wheel lock. I am talking about the boot!
those are probably the best idea out there. Two sirens, each with dual power source. Cut one wire and itll still be blaring. Hide the second battery and you are golden. The clutch bar is a great idea, I havent heard one bad thing about it. And kill switches are great as well. I would first go through these steps first, and if you are still paranoid, then go for hoodpins (IF YOU MUST)

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
hes to pussy to put the boot on his car levi lol.... and id agree with the whole "hood pins give built motor signs under" or rice.... and judging by you looks it aint rice...
id say go with all the alarm and kill options listed above man

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
hood pins i think are ghetto, there are plenty of ways to stop a thief, ultimately kill switches, and a backup battery alarm switch, when they cut the power on ur battery the alarm goes nuts. hide the brain like levi said. i mean i'd rather have my seats stolen than my car, if they can't get her started then i can live with that.

·
Registered
06 coupe
1,464 Posts
that is pretty much what i would do or get a homeless guy to watch it for ya for a mc chicken a day or something haha

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
A buddy of mine has always had a problem with people jacking his subs, so he ran some steel cable through the trunk with a padlock so it would only open 2-3 inches, just enough to unlock the padlock. With some creativity, I'm sure you could do the same for your hood, and it won't be visible outside the car, so it doesn't make you a target like the hood pins.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
im always paranoid about my car being stolen, and have recently been looking for ways to deter the thought of it.

searching through old posts, i found a link to these:
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/SPT4261.htm

they would prevent a thief from popping the hood and disconnecting an alarm, battery, etc. what do you all think? im going to have a lot of money tied up into my car/build, and i dont want to worry all the time about it. i was thinking about maybe painting them white to match the hood, and get rid of the ricer effect...

that along with a few other tricks, i.e. re-routing the hood release, hidden alarm brain with hidden backup power source, extra piezo siren...

thoughts? input?
if you do use hoodpins, use your stock latch also. i have seen too many nice cars here get fucked up because the dumb asses just remove the stock latch, then those little locks dont get turned all the way. a wham. guaranteed having to buy a new hood and winsheild, more than likely the roof is fucked up. and your lucky if you dont wreck.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
i had the hood locks on my rex. i liked em and you could always hide it with a stock bra;)

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
Road Runner

A friend of mine actually has something similiar on his road runner. The car is a perfect numbers matching car and the only thing not original is the hood pin locks. It has the hood that has four hood pins not hinges. He upgraded to this hood pin locks after another local car owner with a numbers matching 302 Camaro has his hood popped at a car show while we were at the dance/social, and had all serial number tags stolen and badges. His locks are satin black and the lock is not visible. You push down on the center of the lock and it then pops up something like a glass door on an entertainment center. push it in and it locks push it again it lets go, then there is a key inserted and the hood pin releases. Having horizontal locks like the ones shown look like debris and acid rain and such would have their way with them after awhile. Just a thought if you're interested I'll see if I can get ahold of him to quiz them up on them, maybe snap some pics if I can get to it in storage.

-TAG

·
Registered
Honda Civic LX
402 Posts
kill swtich FTW..as far as the hood pins...with a CF hood they look alright...im not a fan of them on stock hoods...but yeah if it lets u sleep better at night..y not...its ur car..ur effort and money...do what u can...

edit: and honestly..with the way the world is today..can barley trust anybody..thats my opinion...its u against the world if u ask me...granted there r a select few in my life...that i know would lay down their necks for me as i would for them..but damn some people are just straight up grimey...

ok that was my little sermon on how i dont trust many ppl..

·
Registered
721 Posts
while all of these are insanely great ideas....they have all been done before...but theives are deterred by hard targets, especially stupid ones, and most people that steel shit ARE retarded...however, I had the same problems with my subs gettin stolen, and my insurance company put a stop to replacing my shit after the 4th time in 6 months...SO, I added the second alarm with the hidden battery...and then I had another battery put in the back, not only to run my stereo, but it was also hooked up to my alarm, so then I had 3 batteries on 2 alarms....the battery in the front and back armed the main alarm and the second battery back up the secondary...then I put two of those huge fukin flashing blue LED strips on the dash, and just above my subs in the back, so when the alarm was armed, everyone from 6 blocks away could tell...and I realise this attracts attention, but I don't care.

After carefull thought, and no recent problems, I want to figure out way to run a circuit of wire all the way around every lip and handle of the outside of the car, and charge it with a capacitor via solar powered battery, you don't need much power, just enough to shock the shit out of someone once...I want to then put a switch somewhere on the outside of the car, so that I can turn the current on and off manually, cause I don't have power locks, and I can't figure out a way to trip the circuit without em...so when I walk away from the car, flip the switch, car is TOTALLY armed, and if someone happens to try my door handle, or pop my hood/trunk, or pry open my door...someone is goin to get there ass hair singed...Just a thought lol...! :D

pretty much like one big electric fence attached to your car...

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i think ur just paranoid. but just so it calms u down do all that are listed above that way u can atleast sleep at nite.
well look at the people you know...

in reality, if a car isnt "easy" to take, thieves will just move on. a car is never impossible to steal, but if the locks give me enough time to grab my shotgun and run outside before the car is gone, then i think they accomplished their job.

fuel cutoff and ecu power switch are both options that i will put into use, as well as a few others mentioned here. thanks to everyone that contributed ideas :TU:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,249 Posts
starter circuit wired thru brake relay

Crome double crank setting

but none of those modes will defeat a flatbed or tow truck......

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
starter circuit wired thru brake relay

Crome double crank setting

but none of those modes will defeat a flatbed or tow truck......
When was the last time you heard of people stealing civics with flatbeds? I realize it's possible and probably has been done, but I'm thinking the probability is kinda low.

@ryan89crx:
Thats exactly how I see it. Nothing will stop someone from stealing my car apart from me shooting them while they are doing it. My goal is only to make it take long enough that they will move on.

I love the 2nd horn under the seat idea, but I think I'll place it somewhere a little less accessible, and I will try to find one that comes with a warning about ears bleeding. :D:D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts