Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's lessons tell me my grammar is wrong.

It's communications test says both the dictionary and my own definitions of the word, "Connections" is wrong.

It's Professors have Tenure and can not get fired.

It's Professors have too many students to grade Homework.

It's Professors make mistakes during lecture.

The Professors are single-faceted, my Biology teach knows absolutely no Chemistry or Math.

It's Professors are too busy getting grants for personal projects and don't hand back test till >2 weeks.

It's Homework is online through a separate company that charges subscriptions fees.

The Company tips the school a Percent per subscription.

The Homework is disjointed to the lectures and book and is through another 3rd party company that pays a percent to the school.

More Graduates than ever are ending up not being able to use their degree to get a job as it is a standard to have one, and without one, you are hardly considered.

The students do not know how to do anything outside of the tiny scope of their life.

There is no street smart.

They have no sense of conservation among any sense. Not themselves, not their resources, nothing.

Just a Brain Dump. Not sure what to do about all this.

I want to go work and get a house and kids and get this ball rolling here...

I don't see hardly any profit coming out of this, in any way.

I learn much more by myself.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
So many things, so true, on so many levels.

What college was and what college is now are 2 totally different things.

I know people with doctorates that are unable to do simple everyday things. I have known multiple PHD holding people who were baffled by small things.

College now days is a rip off. You pay all this money for a piece of paper saying yes you toughed it out and yes your a good test taker, but this person is still likely no smarter then when they came into college, only slightly more mature.

I feel community colleges and tech colleges offer a better place to learn to a certain extent. The professors are generally, not always, more down to earth and the class sizes are much much smaller.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
if it's engineering school, add "the professors have accents so thick you can't understand a word they're saying" :rolleyes:

I hated school

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
What about the practice of modern medicine. You gonna practice that with street smarts? That's a played out term and concept. You don't make shit playing that card.

It's called manning the fuck up, stop bitching and get it fucking done. Period.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
What about the practice of modern medicine. You gonna practice that with street smarts? That's a played out term and concept. You don't make shit playing that card.

They tried that in China ... it didn't work so well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Science > arts

A.S. > B.A

B.S > D.A

As long as your degree says "science" and not "art" you should be able to do okay in life. My girlie's room mate has a Bachelors of Arts in digital design and she pumps gasoline. I have a G.E.D and I make more per hour.

School isn't everything. But without that 'worthless' piece of paper, a lot of doors will stay closed for you. And if you get a graduate degree in an arts program you might as well practice painting signs that say "will work for food"

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

What? No, You sound like a Sour, Grumpy Meathead

That wont get anything done. Obviously you don't like it based off your attitude, so why not make a change, rather than act bitter?

Get them out of the class room and into a viewing office to watch, have apprentices, Show them surgeries,

Teach them applicable things not a bunch of random facts they will shortly forget and never apply.

You're wasting young minds polluting them with garbage, making it harder to learn the actual job when they get there.

Teach them on the job and shit can the people than are inferior.

That's what college was designed for, it's spiraled outta control into a system of control and bullshit to watch and train the socially immature.

Just like Public Schooling is Daycare.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Mr Toaster, I do not think that man is a doctor or in any position of authority to have interns skip medical school.

I do agree that alot of school is stupid, pointless memorizing.

College is a racket, its just another business. Another revenue generator. Another way to help the rich to get richer and to force the poor to get poorer.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
I can see how my tone sounds that way. I look at individuals in our generation and honestly I see a bunch of self-entitled lazy fucks. I'm no saint and it's taken me very long to get where I am in life.

I like to look at school as an opportunity. Sure they wanna squeeze every last dollar out of you. Shit, you're not even guaranteed a job. Yet alone a successful career with benefits and what not. But like you said about my burst of anger earlier. It's attitude.

And attitude is why so many people complain about school. Making a blanket generalization of the whole education system and saying how broken it is you forget maybe that the student is just as much at blame. I have been fortunate enough to experience college both here in the United States and in the Philippines.

Your right about the money. It's a business. Gotta keep the share holders happy. But on the flip side, you have students not mature enough to continue education in pursuit of a Bachelor's degree or even an Associate's degree. To put it simply if an individual wants to truly succeed, they will find a way to succeed. Irregardless of circumstance.

You reap the seeds you sow. Hardwork and sacrifice.

·
Registered
359 Posts
American society is a cultural wasteland. I cant find it in myself to blame individuals when our entire culture is so fucked.

Education is exactly where it needs to start being fixed. Instead of teaching people how we do now, we need to truly make educated and intelligent individual. As others have said, there are highly educated individuals who aren't 'smart'. Public schools today are 2 parts daycare, 1 part prison, 3 parts indoctrination into our decaying culture.

Everyone in this thread has blamed the individual, but really, its our entire culture that is the problem.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
I know that im damn tired of sittin in my Auto tech classes. I want to get out in the damn field all ready. But I dont want to change oil. The auto industry is A fuckin joke they wont give kids like me A chance to start out doing something...........

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
American society is a cultural wasteland. I cant find it in myself to blame individuals when our entire culture is so fucked.

Education is exactly where it needs to start being fixed. Instead of teaching people how we do now, we need to truly make educated and intelligent individual. As others have said, there are highly educated individuals who aren't 'smart'. Public schools today are 2 parts daycare, 1 part prison, 3 parts indoctrination into our decaying culture.

Everyone in this thread has blamed the individual, but really, its our entire culture that is the problem.
But who allows society to be the way it is?

Per Merriam-Webster dictionary.

so·ci·e·ty

2: a voluntary association of individuals for common ends; especially : an organized group working together or periodically meeting because of common interests, beliefs, or profession

Society - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Do you guys have kids? Have you guys experienced a child going through the education system from a third person point of view? I have a child and all I see are teacher's trying to do the best they can with what they have available to them. Don't take that away from the teachers. Some of them bust ass to be where they are at.

I've been to both public and private school. I've experienced the whole spectrum of "formal education". You know who are the best students? The students that actually give a fuck and want to be there. Attitude.

You know what is lost? Personally accountability. No one wants to accept fault. Remember when you start pointing a finger, you got three pointing right back at you.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
I know that im damn tired of sittin in my Auto tech classes. I want to get out in the damn field all ready. But I dont want to change oil. The auto industry is A fuckin joke they wont give kids like me A chance to start out doing something...........
I started as a lube tech a few years back at a big Honda dealership. I don't have any formal training in the automotive field. My BS is in nursing. All my co-workers were unitek or UTI trained. We all got paid the same.

Go out and do it, you gotta start somewhere. It took on average 1.5 years for techs to be bumped up to flat rate. At our shop that was a tech 3. Brake services, alignments, motor mounts, shit like that. Started at $20/hr. That's flat rate too.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Society should be controlled by individuals, America should be We The People, 90% of media shouldn't be a handful of conglomerates, television & magazines (paper or website) shouldn't be creating cultural norms.

But if a very specific group of a few hundred people, at most, wanted to profoundly effect our culture, they have the complete ability to do so. Most Americans will eat up whatever b.s is fed to em on the telly. Its exactly like Orwell's 1984, or Huxley's A Brave New World. ignore it if you want but those philosophers called it out generations ago. Thats why they wrote those books in the first place.

Changing the status quo isn't easy sir, the mid evil European noblemen might as well still be in their positions of authority. Its my belief that many of their descendants still are.

Don't get me wrong, I think its up to the individual to make something of themself, but I think its getting more and more difficult for common folk to pull themselves up by their boot straps.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Society should be controlled by individuals, America should be We The People, 90% of media shouldn't be a handful of conglomerates, television & magazines (paper or website) shouldn't be creating cultural norms.

But if a very specific group of a few hundred people, at most, wanted to profoundly effect our culture, they have the complete ability to do so. Most Americans will eat up whatever b.s is fed to em on the telly. Its exactly like Orwell's 1984, or Huxley's A Brave New World. ignore it if you want but those philosophers called it out generations ago. Thats why they wrote those books in the first place.

Changing the status quo isn't easy sir, the mid evil European noblemen might as well still be in their positions of authority. Its my belief that many of their descendants still are.

Don't get me wrong, I think its up to the individual to make something of themself, but I think its getting more and more difficult for common folk to pull themselves up by their boot straps.
When you look at the big picture like that sure it can be depressing. But at the end of the day, as long as you and yours are ok, that's all that matters. I'll check those books out as well.

What is your solution to fixing the problems? The advent of the internet has changed the game though. True globalization is occurring at breakneck speeds. The internet is a tool though and just like anything else, it's only as good as the person using it.

No I agree. It is hard. But when has it ever been easy? Both my parents are immigrants that moved to this country 28 years ago with nothing but the clothes on their backs. They've accumulated wealth and success through hard work and perseverance. Not blaming anybody for the hardship they had to endure to get a better life.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts