Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My original purpose was to make a cai from readily available parts with minimal cost. However, the more I thought about it, the more I kept coming back to the stock airbox as a way of preserving bottom end torque. So, naturally, that kept leading me back to the stock hose. Initially, I was planning on using rigid urethane foam or polyisocyanate board because both have outrageous R values far in excess of other materials. One inch of rigid urethane foam is equivalent to over 5 inches of fiberglass batting! so this is some good stuff. The polyisocyanate is even better in that it has an even higher R value and it comes faced with aluminium. However, in any aplication where the polyurethane foam can acumulate once it melts -and it melts at 210 F- it represents a considerable fire hazzard. The Polyisocyanate is a bit better -in part due to the aluminium facing- but it is uproriously expensive. Hence, that was out. so... What if it could be done for nearly zero cost?

so...parts list:
1. 2 liter soda bottle
1. 3 liter soda bottle
50+ walmart bags
some styrofoam (expanded polystyrene) at least 1 inch thick
1 roll pro grade duct tape
utility scissors
1 Long Handled spatula

Ok, so the first picture is the 2 liter cut to fit over (not lengthwise) the pipe. The end was taped securely and bags began to get packed in. Do not worry about packing them too tight, we are not going for air insulation here. Pack the hell out of them...it only took three layers to put my hand in a sinkfull of nearly boiling water. I wouldn't want to keep it there all day but 3 layers were that good. Which is as it should be as polyethylene is a poor conductor of heat.
The second picture shows the 3 liter bottle I used to get around the bend without compromising the space I would have to stuff styrofoam in. You can see some styrofoam blocks before I packed them in with some bags. I used the styrofoam, not because it is better-it might be-, but because this is an ongoing experiment and the bags were heavier and I felt that would provide a kind of cantilever so that it was neutral to the tb.
The third picture shows the final product. The bulge is an extra 1 1/2 inch thick curved styrofoam piece that I added at the point where any intake piping would pass near a radiator hose. It turns out this is also the closest point of aproach to the engine as well so I had high hopes. It would come to be the most difficult part of the installation process.
The final picture -for some reason it has not uploaded from my phone yet- would show the finished installation. I did not have to remove the sway bar although if I had, it would have gone a lot easier. I kept the crank case ventilation for the time being to see how much of a difference over the way it was this approach makes. Undoubtedly, I will be replacing it with another "ghetto idea" ( fish tubing, funnel...)
I used a 1 foot square piece of aluminium foil to minimise radiative transfer on top of the insulation but I did not see the need for a picture of aluminum foil covering something.
So, next, I will be insulating the air box with some styrofoam -in keeping with the no money involved theme- which will be atached in some manner to either the car or the box.
One unexpected benefit of this project is that the cai blocks the heat transfer to the fuel filter from anything -i had to wedge it around- so it should be interesting to see what the butt dyno says -its all I have the money for right now :(
Now, everything use would have been garbage except for the duct tape. So the cost to insulate the stock hose was ~3.00 :)
Now, someone might improve on this by using coffee cups cut and glued to the hose (say three layers thick) then using three litter bottles all around. One would have to use up to seven layers on the inside of the turn as the fit is quite tight there but given used coffee cups, the cost should still be negligible.

so, burningwreck, here is one way to do a cai.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
GHETTO!

but dont worry, i wrapped my custom intake with styrofoam, they dont condut much heat, and i taped it up with duct tape, hehe

i did it over a month ago

i THINK there's a little difference, but yea, it's real cheap, just used junk parts and i had some duct tape already,
so cost: 30 minutes of labor in the 100+ degree heat

·
Registered
civic
1,750 Posts
ok , i have a home made CAI made from some UK spec drain pipe that is a few mm wider then the ome pipe that i slid it over , i extened it a few inches and fited a HKS type filter on and seeled it all up with plumbers pipe weld , so its has the same sort of efeced as the new AME LOLOL sort of , ie a biger pipe going in to a smaller one, i have to say i am very serprized at how well it works , it has given me a lot more pull and sounds good , my carb set up loves it !!!!!!!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My93Civic said:
OHH MY! LOOOL, ROLFMAO, haha...brings a tear to my eye...Still that IS Ghetto!

I guess if it works its fine but hahhaha :)
:werd: hahahaha

·
Registered
180 Posts
nice!!!!!!!! the pic wouldnt come up for me before. let us know about the butt dyno.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
shit, man, slap a k&n on there! at least it looks presentable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ghettolicious! Should be a great addition to those pimp-ass spinning hubcaps! LOL... just busting balls, don't get mad. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
if he could find a way to make pistons out of crushed pop cans he probably would have those installed hahaha

DSS gets the ghetto mod of the year award!! haha

also, let me get this stait, all you did was insulate the stock air hose, nothing else? so its still the same length/width and location + use of stock air box?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nah, dont crush the cans, just cut the bottoms off and you have "domed" pistons! Then you can just cut the tops off, and JB Weld all the cans together for a custom exhaust! Sorry DSS, couldn't help it. I guess for insulation on the cheap it works.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
to others if u guyz see his car perform the way it does, your mouths will be shut as i was when he pull away from modifie gsr...

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
u foolz c the picture not the point...it give the engine more cold air to use than 130 something $$$$ AEM or WHATEVER cai out there w/o DIY mod. to have true cold air and the system most likely weight in less than the other "stuff" unless like the carbonfiber sys. mad props to the engineer....(to others if u guyz see his car perform the way it does, your mouths will be shut as i was when he pull away from modifie gsr...)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts