Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve had my car for 12 years and I’ve never made a build thread before on my car. I don’t have every step of the build and can’t remember all the details of everything so I’m just going to share my build via a story/history of the car. I have taken pictures here and there during this time so I was able to toss this thread together.

The car: 91 CRX HF
Purpose of the car: Weekend cruiser/highway destroyer/maybe some 1/4 mile passes at the track

Under the bonnet:
D16y8 Head
D16Y7 Block
ARP Head studs
Eagle rods
Vitara Pistons
Hondata IM Gasket
Big 16G TD05HR Evo VIII Turbo
Johnny Racecar 6" FMIC
Blitz BOV
Deatschwerks 1000cc Injectors
AEM Fuel Rail
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Nocturnal 2.5" Custom Downpipe
Bi-state Custom/Davinci Custom 2 3/4" Exhaust piping
Vibrant Flat Black Muffler
Civic Si Cable Tranny
ACT Xtreme Pressure Plate
XACT Street Flywheel
ACT 6 Puck Clutch
NGK Blue Sparkplug wires
J's Racing Magnetic Drain Plug
GO-AUTOWERKS HALF RADIATOR
Battery relocated to rear
Optima red top battery

ELECTRONIC STUFF
Crome
Apex-i VAFC
Greddy/TRUST Boost Gauge
Greddy/TRUST Air fuel Gauge
Greddy/TRUST EGT Gauge
Greddy/TRUST Boost Controller
HKS Turbo timer
GM 3 BAR MAF SENSOR

Stiff Stuff
JSP CF hood
PIC Apex Coilovers 8k front/6k rear
Skunk2 Lower Control Arms
Neuspeed Front Strutbar
EBay rear strut bar
15" Rota Slips
Falken Azenis
KYO-EI Industries Black Lug nuts
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Goodridge Steel Brakeline kit
Si Front and Rear disc conversion
Power slot front and rear rotors

Inside
B&M Short Shifter
Spoon shift knob
Sparco Torino Seat
CUSTOM GAUGE POD

OWNED BUT NOT INSTALLED
Autometer Oil Pressure Gauge
Greddy/Trust oil catch tank
Aero catch hood pins

So I first saw the car while at a local meet. I just had my 89 accord then.

The former owner invited me to ride around with him and his friends that night. It was the first turbo Honda I had ever actually seen. I remember thinking wow I really like that car and I would want one just like that one day.
Well a few month later that day came. It popped up for sale.

Here is the exact description from the posting:

91 Honda CRX HF

D16Y8 SOHC V-tec from 98 civic ex
29,000 miles
greddy sohc turbo kit
walbro 255 forced induction fuel pump
blitz blow off valve
aem fuel rail
aem fuel pressure regulator
ACT Cluth
B&M short shifter
Gun Metal Rota Slipstreams
Ractive strut bar

These are the original pics from the sale ad posted on a local street racing board In 2003

I went to buy the car with out even knowing how to drive a car with a manual transmission. I actually had a friend drive it home for me and I went and learned how to drive it myself in a empty mall parking lot.
That week I took it out to a local meet.

The car already had a autometer boost gauge and AF guage. I added a turbo timer and got rid of the manual boost controller and replaced it with the Greddy Profec B.

I took the car to get dyno’d and it put down 184 hp/156 tq on the greddy kit with fmu and stock injectors. It warped a piston that day due to the car running lean. I swapped that block out and got rid of the fmu, bought some DSM injectors and a VAFC and started running the hack a la turbod16.com . The car ran ok for a while after that. I ended up having some issue with it (sorry I forget what it was) and then shortly after that I got married and had a kid and the car was parked for a few years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
After being parked for a couple of years, I felt like it was time to get back into it and get this thing back on the road. And I had a little help this time.

Here it is, all cleaned up after its revival.

Got rid of the Auto Meter boost/af gauge and added a Greddy boost, AF, and EGT gauge. Also moved the turbo time and stripped all the interior. Also made a little center console display for the VAFC and some other misc gauges that I had.

I then cleaned up a few other things that were ugly about the car. I had a 6" Johnny Racecar Front mount Intercooler (like I said turbod16.com!) sitting around for a long time. I sprayed it and had a local shop install it Along with cleaning up some of my intercooler piping and new downpipe.

I had a sparco torino sitting around forever. I finally got the bracket for it and installed it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

At the same time, I got rid of the ricer crooked exhaust and went with a Vibrant Flat Black muffler.

crx-1817 https://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/

Although my car had lost its sleeper status by this point, I still wanted to paint the ic piping too.

In this condition the car dyno’d 194 hp/ 210 tq on the greddy kit. The biggest difference with this set up was that I had the DSM injectors, chrome, and cometic thick head gasket.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Then like clock work the car started having a fuel problem that I couldn’t figure out and my wife told me she was pregnant. The car had to sit again.
The car again sat for a couple of years, but all during that time I was accumulating things to make it bigger and badder for whenever I had the time to get back to it.

I converted to Si brakes front and rear (my car is an HF.) I went with powerslot slotted rotors all the way around.

I found a good deal on this Pic suspension. A friend was getting rid of his EVO Big 16g TD05HR

Tossed in some Eagle rods and vitara pistons, new water pump, oil pump, arp studs.

IMG_2318 https://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/

The new turbo needed some fabbing to work. I got rid of my fluidyne radiator and went with a go-auto radiator. I had a local shop do the fab work and now I have the only(as far as I could find on google) big 16g, d16, crx in the world. Its a tight fit but it works great.

IMG_2291 https://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/

In effort to help clean things up a little more, I had my valve cover powder coated Gunmetal.
IMG_2021 https://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/

My friend that’s been helping with the build for years made a new set up for my gauges.
IMG_1971 by https://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/, on Flickr

And here is how the car sits today.
FullSizeRender https://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/

I just got rid of the dsm injectors and the resistor box for some Deatcshwerks 1000cc injectors. Now I’m just trying to set up my appoint me to get it tuned. We also plan to clean up the bay a little and do a mild wire tuck on it.

I’m open to all suggestions/opinions on the car. I’m actually pretty anxious to hear everyone’s thoughts as I’ve always been very tight lipped regarding the happenings of my car and this is the first time I’ve openly shared everything about it publicly.

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
its good to see a crx added, especially one using the HF manifold. does it seem restrictive? is it ported?

ill be upgrading to a evo 3 16G and I realy like the way everything fits with the HF manifold. every other cast turbo manifold I come across has a lean or a weird angle.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Nice rex man. Like the story behind it too.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
AWESOME! You have almost EXACTLY the same set up as I do. Same turbo, hf manifold, same adapter plate, almost the same engine build except mine in is a 4g hatch and I did my intercooler set up differently. How did you make the wastegate not hit the block? I ran an external wastegate. Your car is way cleaner than mine. Have you dynoed it with the big 16g?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I would 2nd the black moldings. Other than that everything is great! Love red CRX's (hate red cars normally though).
Thanks a lot man, I'm thinking of painting the car gunmetal, black moldings, and maybe painting the hood. I might paint the car without painting the hood to see how I like it.

its good to see a crx added, especially one using the HF manifold. does it seem restrictive? is it ported?

ill be upgrading to a evo 3 16G and I realy like the way everything fits with the HF manifold. every other cast turbo manifold I come across has a lean or a weird angle.
I actually just got the new turbo set up finished just a couple of weeks ago. The car isn't my daily driver and its been bad-ish weather out. So I've barely put any miles on the car with the new set up. From the little driving I've done with it though, it seems to pull much harder than the greddy kit did. Its kind of hard to explain. The Greddy kit seemed to accelerate a lot more smoothly, almost like it was supposed to be there. With the new set up, the spool is a bit slower but when it comes on it much more savage than the previous set up. I think the HF manifold is very similar to the greddy manifold. I don't know the specs on either but to my naked untrained eye, they look similar. Its not ported.

Nice rex man. Like the story behind it too.
Thanks man. Its been a wild and long journey. But I was fortunate enough to have a garage, paitence, and time to do mostly everything I wanted with the car. And I have also been lucky enough to have good friends around who all know way more than me when it comes to cars so that made it easy too.

AWESOME! You have almost EXACTLY the same set up as I do. Same turbo, hf manifold, same adapter plate, almost the same engine build except mine in is a 4g hatch and I did my intercooler set up differently. How did you make the wastegate not hit the block? I ran an external wastegate. Your car is way cleaner than mine. Have you dynoed it with the big 16g?
The shop that did the fab work had to modify the bracket on the actuator a bit if I recall (i'm interanally wastegated) I'll try to take a picture tonight if I can. The car sits low and it may be a little difficult to get light under there to take the picture of how it all looks. I haven't had it dynoed yet. Both tuners that are close to me are refusing to touch any cars right now because of how cold it is

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts

nice setup.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Are you running a traction bar? Front motor mount? I'm really curious about your hot side piping, oil return and downpipe. I had to run a traction bar, an evo o2 housing open dump and a same side inlet/outlet intercooler to get everything to fit.

LMK if you want me to take the pictures down, I'm not trying to thread jack,you are just the first person I've came across with the same turbo/manifold set up as me and I'm curious how you tackled the issues I ran into.

EDIT: DUDE!!! I just remembered this. Take the adapter plate off and remove the thin strip that goes between the two scrolls. It cracks with heat and will fall into your turbo. I just happened to be removing my turbo for an exhaust leak and noticed it cracked on both ends and 1/16" away from falling into my $350 FP rebuilt turbo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how much psi are you running?
I'm not really going into boost right now since I'm still waiting to get the car tuned. But on the couple of pulls we did just to get the car to run, it saw 7psi before it wanted to got too lean. I will definitely report back once I get the car tuned with How much boost/ hp/tq for the new set up.

Loving this build. Clean
Thank you.

Are you running a traction bar? Front motor mount? I'm really curious about your hot side piping, oil return and downpipe. I had to run a traction bar, an evo o2 housing open dump and a same side inlet/outlet intercooler to get everything to fit.

LMK if you want me to take the pictures down, I'm not trying to thread jack,you are just the first person I've came across with the same turbo/manifold set up as me and I'm curious how you tackled the issues I ran into.

EDIT: DUDE!!! I just remembered this. Take the adapter plate off and remove the thin strip that goes between the two scrolls. It cracks with heat and will fall into your turbo. I just happened to be removing my turbo for an exhaust leak and noticed it cracked on both ends and 1/16" away from falling into my $350 FP rebuilt turbo.
I didn't get home until late last night and it was just too cold to do anything in the garage last night. I'll go out there this evening to try to get pictures that show how everything is arranged. But there is no traction bar, just the factory front crossmember/engine mount. I had actually bought a outlet adapter but it wouldn't work for that turn you have pictured there so the shop welded a 90 degree pipe right to the outlet in order to not to hit the front crossmember. it was the only way to make this work.

I'll try to get pictures tonight showing the actuator, oil lines, outlet, etc tonight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are a couple of old vids of the car

This dyno pull was from a dyno day. This is on the old Greddy set up. the car dyno’d 194 hp/ 210 tq on the greddy kit. This is stock internals, DSM injectors, chrome, and cometic thick head gasket.

http://youtu.be/S3oN46bba34?t=1m8s

This is another old video of it against a friends turbo b18 delsol.

http://youtu.be/uKo2IqcYtk8

Both vids are from 2009.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts