Honda D Series Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
i would say yes it is simply because all of the nice turbo brands such as garrett, turbonetics, air research, ect........does not have their name on it. Also, from what ive seen, most chinese junk turbos are 57 trim with a .50 compressor side and .63 exhaust side.........this turbo is exactly that, so it is probably on of the cheaper chinese ones.

·
Registered
72 Posts
okay im a noob and dont have alot of money so would an ebay turbo kit be okay for like.... 6 psi or so. i mean im not goin to get 234094 hp out of it. the kit is really cheap obviously, the links below. i know greddys better but like i said im just starting out with this whole performane thing and am not tryin to have a racecar. its not ssac.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Intercooler-Kit-for-D16-Lx-Dx-Ex-CRX-Civic-SOHC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ017QQitemZ270130337979QQrdZ1

also where can i get crome for a good price?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
okay im a noob and dont have alot of money so would an ebay turbo kit be okay for like.... 6 psi or so. i mean im not goin to get 234094 hp out of it. the kit is really cheap obviously, the links below. i know greddys better but like i said im just starting out with this whole performane thing and am not tryin to have a racecar. its not ssac.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Intercooler-Kit-for-D16-Lx-Dx-Ex-CRX-Civic-SOHC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ017QQitemZ270130337979QQrdZ1

also where can i get crome for a good price?
everything will work, but im assuming that the intercooler piping will need to fitted correctly, which isnt a big deal. my main concern is the manifold. They are very easy to crack, and will crack. From what ive seen, (not expirienced) is that it is pretty much a hit or miss with these manifolds. Some run them for years without a problem, some for 5 months, others for 2 weeks before a problem or crack occurs. The same goes with the turbo......although as said many times before, if you run a restrictor with the turbo, it will last longer.

With these kits, like i said before, is a hit or miss. The wastegates, blow off valve, oil lines, and intercooler and piping really arent all that bad (not saying tehy are great but they will work, especially for 6 psi), its the manifold mainly and the turbo as well that i wuld worry about.

and crome is a free program. check out www.pgmfi.org to download it. Crome pro has datalogging and a few extra features that regular crome doesnt have, but crome pro is $150.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
so what do i all need for crome,(by the way i have a 00 civic dx any help?) i download it and what else........
you will need to convert to obd-1 from your current obd-2 setup. you then need to get a ecu capable of chipping....most widely used is the p28. chip the ecu with the necessary hardware, find a tuner, burn a basemap, hookup a wideband, and start tuning.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
ebay turbos are a lot like D-series motors. If they break, just buy another one for like $200.
yeah, but difference is, that if you buy another motor, you take corrective action of what not to do to blow the new one, so it wont happen again, or at least for a long while.

but if your ebay turbo goes out in 2 weeks and you buy another one for $200 more, you still have an ebay turbo that has a potential of going out. What then, buy another one or learn from your mistakes and have $400 extra invested in turbos when you could have spent $600 to get on that will pretty much hold up for several years like a garrett.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I got a T3/T4 hybrid turbo from SSAC a few years ago. It lasted about 3 miles, and then the wheel started rubbing on the exhaust housing and leaking oil into the exhaust. I removed it and took it apart, and found that both the compressor and exhaust wheel were apparently belt sanded "sorta" round and massively out of balance. Long story short it was a big waste of money and time, I had to wait 3 weeks and borrow a friends 87 toyota turdcell to have enough money to order a garrett and for it to get here, then I was finally back on the road.

I recently bought a manifold from them, only because it was so cheap that if it cracks I can utilize the flanges and use my own piping. Hasn't cracked yet. Maybe I got lucky or maybe tomorrow it will.

Generally I say it's all crap, and yes, we should put "it's all crap" in big red letters in the first post.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I got a T3/T4 hybrid turbo from SSAC a few years ago. It lasted about 3 miles, and then the wheel started rubbing on the exhaust housing and leaking oil into the exhaust. I removed it and took it apart, and found that both the compressor and exhaust wheel were apparently belt sanded "sorta" round and massively out of balance. Long story short it was a big waste of money and time, I had to wait 3 weeks and borrow a friends 87 toyota turdcell to have enough money to order a garrett and for it to get here, then I was finally back on the road.

I recently bought a manifold from them, only because it was so cheap that if it cracks I can utilize the flanges and use my own piping. Hasn't cracked yet. Maybe I got lucky or maybe tomorrow it will.

Generally I say it's all crap, and yes, we should put "it's all crap" in big red letters in the first post.
hmmmmm......never heard of anything that extreme from ssac......that sucks man. was it a used turbo, or brand new directly from their warehouse?

·
Registered
314 Posts
i've got an SSAC 38mm external wastegate and it's held up fine for the last 2 years. i had to change the spring when i got it, so i checked the internals and they all looked to be good quality and have pretty high tolerances. i think i paid 100$ shipped with 2 springs, gaskets, and flanges.

·
Registered
180 Posts
wg holding up fine really it came with a 7 spring and i just add a few washers on top of the spring to raise the boost and its working great i guess some of the cheap shit not that bad

·
Registered
4 Posts
I noticed a kit going by the name revspeed, they sell b & d series kits with cast manifolds.
Is this another ss auto company?
Anyone have an experience with said company?

41 - 60 of 68 Posts