Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw another member here started a build thread about a bike, so I figured what the hell I'll do one too. It is a Honda at least. If you're wondering about the name, I was drinking beer and trying to come up with a tough name for a bike. Stone Cold Steve Austin, who is an advocate of drinking alcohol, is about as tough as it gets.

So here it is, back in December of 2015 when I picked up my first bike.

I had my friends hold up the tailgate so I could take a picture... and because I had to get the bungee cords. FYI this is also the truck in my signature. I know it looks like a complete piece of shit... and that's because it is.

I got this bike for $100 for a couple reasons. First and foremost, I have a good friend that really would rather see the bike be used than sit in his apartment parking lot. The other reason is that it needed some TLC and he didn't really have the tools or know-how to make it happen. So I scooped it up and in early 2016 I started working on it. It really just needed the carbs rebuilt along with a few hose to be replaced to be running reliably. I took this time to also knock out a little bit of cosmetic work.

I now have an operational bike. Time to get my license. Just weeks before I got my license I had a friend get his license and then he went and scooped up a new Triumph Street Triple. So many jellies, I am.

Just weeks after I got my license, I had another friend get his license and scoop up a new KTM Duke 390. The jelly ensues.

Since I got my license (just last month) I have put hundreds of miles on my bike. It's now my DD and weekend toy. Since it's mechanically sorted I've started addressing some of the smaller issues like the ridiculous grandpa bars on it. After riding for a while the awkward angle of the bars will start to hurt your wrists. So I went for a much more comfortable and sportier feeling drag bar.

I also got a set of Biltwell grips and some bar end mirrors. It's amazing what a set of bars and grips can do for the overall feel of a bike.

I did also replace (and upgrade) the brakes today along with the bars. The $100 bike is coming along and for my first bike, I'm certainly having a lot of fun with it. Stay tuned for more.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Good running bikes. My advise, if the valve covers, usually the rear, start leaking. Just deal with it lol

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Those bars look sooo much better..

Any wheel plans for the future? Those 80's style wheels just make the bike look dated

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good running bikes. My advise, if the valve covers, usually the rear, start leaking. Just deal with it lol
Will heed the advice, but this bike doesn't leak at all currently. Or smoke/consume fluids. It's awesome, and it can haul ass.

Those bars look sooo much better..

Any wheel plans for the future? Those 80's style wheels just make the bike look dated
Possibly. I'd honestly like to get some spoked wheels, unless I can scoop up some wheels from a HD Iron 883. I don't really know how motorcycle wheel sizes work yet but I think my shaft driven bike might have me limited for wheel choices. I do need new tires as the there are cracks forming around the tread blocks so I'd like to get something figured out kind of soon. We'll see what happens I guess.

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
358 Posts
I haven't owned a bike of my own for a long, long time, although my son's a commmited rider.

One of my favourites was this one:

My lad's current ride is much like this:-

The difference?
Well, in my hands, probably death!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
When I went from cruiser to street bike I didnt die. Let me tell you I did not pussy foot around after I got to know her either. I used to shoot out of the sylvan tunnel like a bullet chasing or being chased way too many times to count. A wheely past an M3 as I beat him by 5 car lengths, giving the peace sign.

This is why I got rid of her, it was only a matter if time before one of my offs became serious as I got her rejetted and dialed in and was able to top 155, it was only a 600.....I miss her so much at times I tear up thinking of the night she rode away one last time. That kids saved my life though. He might not have survived, she was a mean bitch, step out in the rain like a scared horse, changes in acceleration after 9000 so hard it would make you second guess your motives and space, the sound of a dragon breathing and and expelling, noise all encompassing as you hit 11000rpms, the air sucking you into the tank, the wind hitting you like a slap when you sit up too fast when deceleration becomes necessary...damn gush much. Fuck, I need a bike bad.

edit: Oh yeah this is someone elses thread, OP she is a beaut, she will prepare you for what is most likely coming, a bigger faster more dangerous bike. Be easy, take your time, and remember to be vigilant, cars hate us.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of my favourites was this one:

If you haven't done so yet, I highly recommend visiting the museum at Barber Motorsports Park. That place really is a historical art gallery of internal combustion, mostly on two wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts