Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im a new member of this site and the hole point of me being a member here was because i am big fan of d-series motors and at this moment im doing a mini-me swap so i just have a question to ask u members of this site.Wat are some of the pros and cons of a mini-me swap (as in the title it says)What is the diffrence between a Y8 and Z6 and A6 heads (herd about A6 but not to familiur to it) thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
difference between Y8 and Z6 is one is OBD2 and one is OBD1, another difference is the combustion size, the Y8 has a smaller combustion room so the compression ratio will be a little higher then if using the z6. sure if u have an obd1 chassis u can use Y8 head, but u got to convert some sensors. so use which ever head is easiest for the year chassis.

pros: get more power
awesome sound of vtec
could be a sleeper cause someone might think it doesnt have it from car badge lol
cons: oil does get used up a bit if u hit vtec a crap load, but its a mega small amount.
maybe gas milage will go down cause u want to hit vtec all the time! lol...
but i still think vtec is worth it over a non vtec... who cares if its a SOHC, its still doing something over a non vtec... otherwise whered the extra 20 hp come from?

·
Registered
My Crix
1,169 Posts
SOHCpower said:
difference between Y8 and Z6 is one is OBD2 and one is OBD1, another difference is the combustion size, the Y8 has a smaller combustion room so the compression ratio will be a little higher then if using the z6. sure if u have an obd1 chassis u can use Y8 head, but u got to convert some sensors. so use which ever head is easiest for the year chassis.
not quite there buddy. you can use either head, the wiring will be he same with both. Im not sure if all y8's are OBD2 eiher. For me Id go with watever is cheaper. I got my Y8 head for 50 bucks off a kid cuz he went b-series in his civic. As far as the specifics, the combustion chamber is slightly smaller in the y8 over the z6 but there is something to offset this benefit, the z6 intake ports are of equal size. On the y8 the devider for the intake valves is slightly offset tto one side or the other to create a "swirl" effect to the incoming air charge. Honda did this to the y8 to increase gas mileage. But it is a con for high end air flow into the cylinders. The cams are different as well. But are swappable. Im not sure of the specific lobe lift specs. As far as wiring you can do a vtec conversio to your wiring haness and use a SOHC VTEC ecu. Mine was OBD0 so just wired a VAFC2 and was done with it. Otherwise, its your decision. BTW the search tool and google are your friend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yeah im just trying to find the correct answer because im doing a mini-me swap im just curiuos about some of the stuff that peopl tell me about it i mean like this friend of my told me that u get a lack of compresion when u do a mini-me swap on a dx block correct me if I'm wrong
thanks alot for the info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts