Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i NEVER overheat, once lost coolant on a driving road because my overflow tipped over and siphoned out and the gauge indicated warm (started shooting moonward) so i know that works fine.

But once my cooling fans kick on (within 5 minutes of reaching closed loop) they stay on.

Our other obd1 civic kicks the fan on and then it switches off.

Data show ect at a nearly unwavering temp just below 190 (188-189 degrees) but rarely changes once warm, seems to register/change fine as it warms up. Is this normal? Fan operation doesnt effect ect temp. Temp seems to fluctuate at the gauge, but not at ect. For example if I take it out of gear and hold 1500 rpm coasting down a long hill on the highway, the temp gauge creeps down slightly, data shows ect does not.

We dont have datalogging on the other car so i cant compare.

Wanna make sure its not actually that close to being so hot that the fan has gotta run all day before i start forcing air into this thing.

Aside from that its kinda annoying.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,942 Posts
My fan doesn’t turn on until after 200F and will cycle on and off when idling in my garage with no outside airflow.

EBF055 makes a good point. Make sure it’s running off the switch and not an ECU parameter

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 96 accord....turns out the sending unit for the gauge was bad, hooked up to the obd2 port, was actually operating at ~240

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine kicked on at 182 today, and will kick on at idle and stay lit indefinitely. Iats today ranged from 88-136 so it was pretty warm and temp in tunerview stayed 188.2 in traffic, then at 60, then down a hill, then in hot azz traffic.... didnt budge .1 degree.

Either tunerview is messing up or the ect sensor is messin up or I'm gonna overheat when I go turbo... ive seen h22s run half rads tho so I should be nowhere near overloading the system as is, making maybe 100hp. Hmmm. I sure hope its a sensor issue.

What does an ect sensor act like when its on the fritz?

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that how one would go about testing the sensor? No, i dont though.

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah they are similar at cold startup. It rises to 188 and never higher, and the fans stay pegged.

Should I do a stress test and run it w less coolant to see if itll show over 188? Or just say effet and throw parts at it? I need to rewire my o2 sensor ground and clean the tstat housing up anyway, a new temp sensor and tstat are cheap

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Or hey, what if i just unpluggerred the fan and see if it heats up?

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah you'd think right? 90 degree day, high humidity with iats hovering near 115, no fan, hard drive then stop and go traffic. Ect stayed below 190, got to a point, wouldnt budge either way.... temp gauge also indicated completely normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts