Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 352 Posts

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok! Ive been a busy boy the last couple of weeks and figured I finally got enough done to start a build thread! :) OK some people will have seen the cage etc before on my cage thread but i wanna keep that seperate as there was a lot of questions bout materials etc that i dont want to take over here!

Ok first things first here she is just after I bought it last year, paid £250 for it thats like $400 I guess, without an engine, just a rolling shell with ineterior, had new brembo discs and EBC Green stuff pads on the back. Had NO wheels so i stuck my old Mitsi Colt stock wheels on for getting it around!

Next few days I stripped it out big style

mmmmmmmmmm messy lol

It was stripped out for a while just lying around for quite a while whilst I saved some cash up for the fabricating to begin! ;)

First thing I did was pull out that sunroof, they carry a LOAD of weight, ct some 1mm metal sheet out after, pop rivetted it on with sealant ane primed it, NEXT up - rollcage!

So I bought the front half of the Rollcage from Custom Cages its all weld in by the way I made all the rest of it myself at the workshop. Got stuck in straight away. Strength was the order of the day so i figured out how i was going to go about the extra mounting points of the cage. Id had a good looks at a few EG6's rallying out in Ireland before so i knew roughly where the front stays would break through the firewall to the front suspension housing. With the dash out I welded the front half in the car, I then had to make some holes in the firewall using a drill and holesaw to allow the cage to go thru.

I made the rest of the cage by lots of measuring of angles and lengths and then using a pillar drill and holesaw to drill through the tubing whilst it was held by a big bed vice, this job is annoying, holesaws are so easy to break drilling tubes but i only went through one on the whole cage! Typical as id bought 3 :( lol Everyplace the cage goes through or mounts onto a part of the car i welded plates to aswell for extra strength, I was gonna seem weld the front end too but think the EG shells are beefy enough anyways. Anywho PICS!

More pics up tomorrow guys cheers!

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok so here you can see where the Cage comes through the firewall and mounts to the Suspension housing,

After all that the tricky part, the rear stays, harness bars and diagonals...... In process of making and finished, beginning to paint it up WOO!

All done! :)

Ok after I made and welded in seat bars too, thats ALMOST the fabrication over with - but not quite. After finishing the cage I decided to slap a Vertical Hydraulic Handbrake in this thing, needed a mount for it though and before i could mount it I had to put the dash back in so i knew how much room I had to play with. But before I could put the frikkin dash back in I had to refit the the loom and heating blower which had nowhere to go seeing as its original spot had now been taking up by roll cage - GREAT. Ok so I got on the case slapped the loom back in and figured out where the blower had to go and where i could mount it, ended up using a dash bolt mounted on the firewall that wasnt being used and welding a bracket off the cage to attatch it, I then cut nearly all of the plastic off the side of it that leads to the heater matrix to shorten it, ended up lookin like this...

Great, that out of the way and the dash could go back in, needed a fair bit of nipping and tucking to go around the cage but eventually I got there. When the dash was plugged in and all sorted out I got a seat and sat in the car (and stayed there for quite a while pretending to drive it lol ) anyways haha, yea got a handbrake that I'd machined earlier ;) and sort figured out where it needed to go. I marked it out and cut out some steel plates, drilled some holes and welded nuts to faces of them to hold the handbrake. Welded it up and hey presto, one hydraulic handbrake stand.

And with the handbrake..............

Ok brake lines.............. SHIT JOB lol Right this isnt a MUST for my rallying class but Im not goin down an offroad section and breaking my brake lines or fuel lines so, I ripped all the origanal brake and fuel lines out from underneath the car cuz im gonna make new ones that run inside the cabin instead. Went down my local Plumbing centre and scored some Copper pipe - ideal! Would have used braided Stainless but the fittings are FREAKIN expensive. Anyways Got a few T-Pieces and a pipe bender at work so got down to it. The rear brake lines go back from the prop valve to a T-Piece becoming one brake pipe that goes through the Handbrake, out to the back and then another T-Piece and out to the rear wheels pics in next post....................

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry the pics arnt too great! Right Next! Ive done a few things on the car since then but I havnt got pics yet so ill post them up later this week. What I HAVE got pictures of is the Engine mmmmmmm. I bought for £120 - $200 with the headers and harness,

Its nothing special, just a standard D16Z6 and Tranny, and it will be staying that way for some time. I have a Egay headers, Egay Induction, I bought a CG Motorsports Paddle clutch for it, thats on but didnt take any pics, some mfactory magnet plugs on the way (thanks again to Aled aka civic88 ) and painted VC thats it. I slapped a new timing belt on it with tensioner pulley and a new water pump lol So I learnt how to do the VC off D-series! WOOO withot the VC painting thread I wouldnt have even attempted it so thanks ppl! Heres my first ever painted VC :)

And on the Engine..............

Manifold.....

So I guess the engines ready to go in!!! Exciting times! Here it is goin in Thanks a lot to Aled - civic88 for helping me drop it in, he be the tattoed one :) lol

BOOYA! lol

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again sorry for bad pics, my New nokia aint as good as the N95 lol pics- MOAR!? haha

Ok so after getting the Engine in friday night I hit it again on saturday for a couple of hours, I went to put the exhaust on, its an Egay 2inch stainless job - should be pretty sweet though - it cant be too loud because of noise restrictions in Rallying so it might end up in the scrap bin haha It didnt fit too well though so im gonna have to modify the mountings on it to fit high up closer to the car another time.

I also slapped the axles in and a couple of small jobs under the hood, I got rid of the charcoal cannsiter so I blanked off a couple of holes and connecting a few pipes up, need to go get my rad and fan off my donor civic soon, wait till you see what that thing looks like hahaha.

So the car looks pretty sorry for itself paint wise cuz of sun fade and dents here and there, when i bought it the boot had been rubbed down for smoothing anyway and ive done some rot repair on it (pics of that later), thats been primed and so has the roof sheet that replaces the sunroof so i figure im gonna get it painted ive done everything else to a high enough standard so im not gonna jib on getting it painted properly, here she is the other night...........

jeez needs paint quick before it goes freakin PINK!

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think I decided on two colours to paint the car............ Either the OEM red orrr................I stole the paint codes of one of these the other day, what do you guys think of the colour?? looks better in real life still!

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think I decided on two colours to paint the car............ Either the OEM red orrr................I stole the paint codes of one of these the other day, what do you guys think of the colour?? looks better in real life still!
QUOTE]

Shiny!! Awesome build. Any thougths on plating the shock mounts a bit?
Another thaought on suspension could be to run like a 2.0 fox, sway-a-way or king coil over. You can obviously do the fab to fit them.
Yea was thinking about strengthing the strut tops, Ill see how it bares up not sure yet. hmmm Sway-a-way/King coil over - never heard of these, ill have to investigate, thanks for the suggestion!

DO WORK!!

Props to your Friend for helping you out :td:

You should have left the Engine out to paint the Engine bay also.

That Red looks Cherry!
When are you going to paint it?
Yea I know I should of really but this has dragged on way too long already, I want it DONE! Plus its only my 1st Honda build - I never expected it to be too perfect, the crap camera phone pics make it look worse - honest! ;) Erm i dont know bout painting wont be too soon, need to get it up and running first - paint isnt gonna make me go faster hehe

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok did some work tonight but first up a couple more pics of the car in better quality and that rot repair I talked about earlier here you go......

I mentioned the plated roof that replaces the sunroof..............I know it looks barbaric but this is the common thing to be done and theres really not much else you can do about it without a lot of hassle...

Car earlier today while I was doing a bit of work.....

Someone asked about welding so heres a good example of what it should like - Wish it was all as tidy as this hahaha its not too easy sometimes!
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

And heres a bit of reconstructive surgery on the rear arch, I should have taken a before pic but I wasnt a member of D-Series when I did this, Jus basically cut the rust out and fabricated some plates to repair the gaps should look good as new with some filler and paint! Note it was around 7 months ago I did this hence the surface rust lol

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok those pics out the way back to the progress!!!! Here we go, so I said you guys would like to see my Doner D13...... So here it is LOL This was my first civic, Ive had it around 2 years, I drove it around 3 times, and then started stripping it to turn into a rally car. Soon lost interest due to the huge body damage on one side, I got the parts to repair but it just never happened, as the civic im currently building came up for sale and I just couldnt say no! So unfortunately this lil beast has been sat here ever since and its not looking too perky anymore, but its good for spair fenders etc bonnet and a few engine parts that are the same as the D16 its a D13B2 by the way.....

So yea tonight I paid the D13 a visit and stole some parts, the radiator, fan, coolant bottle and the slave cylinder gator, The rads not in bad condition, thought it would be screwed coming outta the other car haha

So fitted all those parts, also threw the Power Steering cooler back in just for kicks, I wasnt gonna bother but thought I should do to be safe,

Forgot to mention the other night that I JUST managed to squeeze the fusebox back in around the cage, ive been completely lucky it fits around the cage!

So the next small task I got is to sort out this very small mess of looms and washer bottle pipes and I can head in the next direction! Hmm what to do haha Ill update soon folks! Thanks for looking!!

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
*UPDATE*

So i finished plugging stuff back in today, put on some the remaining pipes etc, jus gotta attatch the loom to the car now and shes ready for some fire! Also got oils and ordered my beastly brake pads at a cost of £80 - like $170!

Note - I spent a LOT of money on oils today, I bought 10W-60 for the engine, jus read thru an oil thread and it was hardly mentioned over 17pages! Is 10w-60 gonna screw my engine up or what?? Will get more pics up soon!

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Success!! My parts finally arrived today, minus the throttle cables - Im gonna have to get them from Honda (££££££££££). Anyways got my fuel filter and Mintex 1155 racing pads, and oils again, (I traded the 10w60 back in for some 5w30 so alls good! Will have to try and do some work the next few days, gotta macine an adaptor for my fuel lines which will be interestin :) Looking forward to getting stuck in again now!

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aight got a lil more done, got stuck with the multi plugs in the engine bay so went to see a friends civic to see where I was going wrong, got those sorted.

Stuck the bumper on and bought some samco style hosing for a VC breather pipe, got some extra tubing for making a catch can another time too. Also stuck the clutch pedal back on so the clutch is ready for bleeding, just got to Machine fuel filter adapter and go get some braided fuel hosing and im gonna turn that key! Exciting stuff!

Mintex 1155's - 80 quid :S Theyd better last!!

Cancerous bumper - doesnt look too bad from a distance!

Will update soon people! Thanks for looking!

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Small world it is bennotben,
coming along nicely Honda-rallying.have you considered bypassing throttle body water
heater,and catchcanning or putting filters on valve cover and crankcase breathers,
these mods and a plastic inlet plenum gasget help keep inlet temps down.Over a nights rallying small changes add up.
Dont worry sunshine, Ive got plenty of tricks up my sleeve for later on, preparing rally cars is my job dont forget, I know what to do next and a filter on the rocker cover aint a good idea for me for a start! lol trust me. These things arnt important yet anyways, getting the bitch fired up is on the cards this weekend! When its started and if everything is OK, Ill start playing, will get more pics up soon and hopefully a vid...... stay tuned lol

:3dbiggrin:

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK - UPDATE -

Ive been busy again people, Finally got some bits last couple of weeks, pictures show....

First off, went to my local scrap yard to score a long length of battery cable for my battery relocation. Got it out of a FUBAR BMW. It turned out to be a mission cuz the battery cable ran inline with the car loom behind the dash and everything so had to remove the dash and cut the cable from the loom - anyways pics!!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

And finally my braided hosing arrived - WOOOOO

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Following this stuff I got to work on laying down my new braided fuel lines, I ran them round the door side by the way to avoid the fuel getting warm like it can do if it was mounted on the exhaust tunnel. I drilled holes in front of the fuel tank inside the car to attatch the hose through to the tank.....

Then I laid the hosing down - feed and return...

The I went and found some of my old original fuel lines and cut a straight piece off, then I re-flared it to sit in the fuel filter

Oh i forgot I fitted my Integra strut brace too......And mounted my feed to it....

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The new fuel feed is running onto this pipe now....

I have HALF mounted my new power cables, I got a length running from the fusebox with the fuel feed line to the starter (Pictured) and the battery positive cable from the BMW is now running from the starter through the firewall and down to the drivers side floor. I havnt mounted it in permanantly yet, cuz Im waiting on my dry cell battery to arrive =) before I know exactly how long its got to be....

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So as it stands now...............
I finally got her started at the weekend =) Lovely! A couple of issues, I was blowing Ignition fuses due to a bad starter connection, then she purred like a kitten........until

When revving its chucking out blue smoke so I figured Valve stem seals might be screwed, I performed a Compression Test and had 210PSi on all cylinders so I think the bottom end is good piston rings etc It also had really old fuel in the tank too so tonight I drained the tank and put new fuel in.

Now theres no blue smoke its swiftly turned to white smoke ........... SOOOOOOOOOO.............Im thinking Head gaskett is on the way out, as there is now pressure building in the radiator too, took the cap off earlier and it threw a fair bit of water out.....Early symptoms of head gaskett failure perhaps?? Worse case scenario Cracked head?? :S

Anyways I ordered my dry cell battery and Some stainless flexy brake hosing, Ill deal with those and getting the battery/killswitch in before I look at the head, its coming off whatever happens so might aswel rebuild it while its off too - more updates soon!!!!!!!!!

EDIT - Pressure dial was reading wrong, was actually 180psi

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I did a second compression test on the engine tonight, when it was cold, Logic being if the head is cracked, the crack will be biggest when the engine is cold, I also whipped out the plugs before doing so and Cylinders 1 and 2 seemed damp inside - not good. So the compression test came up as cylinders 1 and 2 down on pressure :( Then I started it and it had a miss straight away then cleaned up. So Heads coming off tomorrow night - fingers crossed the heads ok :s

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok head off? - NEGATIVE

Started at 5.30 today and Im sure the head could have been off by 7 IF i could have gotten the crank pulley bolt off grrrrrrrrrrrr! Pulled on it so hard with the car on the floor, wheels chocked that the belt slipped a tooth too - so i aint trusting that belt again - new one on the way! I know I could have slipped the belt off reasonably safely without slackening the tensioner but the point is ill need the pulley off in the future so I might aswell pull it off now - somehow.

Also got prices on a new head set today, gaskets, seals etc and cant get hold of one for less than £120 or like $190 which adds insult to injury. Im gonna try the pulley bolt again tomorrow, see if I can jam the flywheel somehow, for now ill have to stay disgruntled LOL Ill update tomorrow if I havnt set the car on fire haha

1 - 20 of 352 Posts