Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Its time for a new build thread. I bought this car back in 2012 as a stock unmolested 190k mile 2000 civic ex. It had a bad input shaft bearing so I decided to just replace the trans with one I bought on ebay. I didnt plan on doing much to the car, maybe some suspension and rims.

Here I am working on swapping the transmission.

Then I got a yonaka cat back and some integra snowflake rims

About a month after putting in the new trans, this happened. I was just driving normally and all of the sudden heard a big boom. So I went for a jdm del sol transmission from ebay the 2nd time around.

At this period in my life I had just gone through a tough breakup with my longterm girlfriend. We had bought a house together and I moved out. It was a difficult period and I was pretty depressed. I think I wanted a distraction so I started thinking about a turbo build. I always wanted to do a turbo on previous cars but was always broke. I started saving my pennies and in the summer of 2013 I purchased the go-autoworks starter turbo kit and sourced all the other things I needed.

The setup was a garrett t3 60 .42/.48 that made 210 whp on 9 psi. I drove around like that for the next year and a half.

I ran some yonaka coil overs for awhile but they were way too stiff. It looked cool though. I ditched them for the stock suspension.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I love driving in the snow!

I then bought some 5zigen fn01r-c rims I painted gunmetal grey

I did some other small stuff like swapped in integra seats, put on some junk 2 lca's and tie bar. Replaced the front upper control arms. Basic maintenance. But I wanted more power so in the winter of 2014 I started working on a vitara build.

I picked up a good used block from a member on here and ordered up some vitara pistons, and rc autoworks rods. Drop the parts off to the engine builder and he went to work.

I picked this stuff up then I got to work.

I got motor mounts from the junkyard and filled them with 60a urethane

I assembled the new motor in my 2nd floor apartment

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In January 2015 I swapped the motor. This was my first time ever swapping a motor and took me the entire weekend. I decided the easiest way was to drop the motor from the bottom.

Here I am taking a selfie trying to clean up all the oil in the engine bay from my old leaky motor.

Old motor out

My buddy welding up a new downpipe for me since I had to turn the turbo around and ditch ac

To be continued...

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Doing work, keep it up. In for moar.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So I got that vitara motor up and running this time with a garrett t3/t4 57 trim with the stage 3 wheel. Got it tuned and made 373 whp at 21psi on e85 stock head revving to 7200. Heres the dyno video

Then on the way home from the tuner the motor let go. Big plume of smoke and just died during a pull about 50 miles from home. Luckily my boss lives close to where I broke down and was kind enough to store my car at his house for a couple months. This was the carnage.

I had no idea why it blew until just recently I found the wires going to cylinder 4 injector were exposed and probably shorted out causing detonation. I was really upset and almost gave up. People on here really encouraged me to continue, a few even gave me a few bucks to help out. I got a big tax return shortly after and was able to buy a new daily driver 1993 BMW 325i.

I found a new block online that had srp pistons and eagle rods.

Scored it for $300 and thought I got a great deal. Well not so much...turns out the ptw clearance was huge and needed to be bored. Ok I ordered up some arias 75.5 pistons and took it to my engine builder. He was really backed up I guess and I had to wait almost 2 months to get the motor back. Then it looked like this

I was pissed. Talked to the engine builder and he offered to do all the machine work for free if I brought him another block. I still had the original motor that came out of the car so I brought that block to him. This was the day I picked it up

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I got the new motor in the car back at the end of june. Ran NA so I could pass emissions with the stock ecu. Here are my two very green cars

Passed emissions and put the turbo on. Sprung for some new charge piping from go-autoworks. Much better than my old ebay setup.

The motor is running great. Im running my old tune from the vitara setup with extra fuel and less timing until I can see my tuner. He is really busy so hopefully I can see him in the next couple weeks. I plan on running a zeitronix ECA flex fuel sensor for e85. Im hoping for close to 400whp but we shall see.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
I was following when the cracked sleeve happened. Nice bounce back. Money is one thing the experience is A whole other.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So last night a new style Camaro SS wanted to run. He got the jump on me but I stayed with him through third and 4th. He was cool and gave me a thumbs up. I need to get tuned asap. Im running super rich in the higher rpms like 10.6-10.8. Id guess im probably around 280whp right now at 18psi. Hopefully John at j-k tuning can see me next week!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Nice, car looks like a sleeper, turbo, what turbo? I bet it is surprises folks when you get on it, most civics are so slow, like mine.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Couple small updates. I wrapped my down pipe with some thermal exhaust wrap this morning. I have about 2 mm of clearance between the radiator and the dp so I figured some insulation would be good. It didnt come with any metal ties like I thought so Im going to the store to get some metal hose clamps. That zip tie is temporary and I wont drive it like that lol. This is what I used http://www.ebay.com/itm/THERMAL-ZERO-LAVA-EXHAUST-WRAP-HEADER-PIPE-HEAT-INSULATION-TAPE-ROLL-2-x-50-FT-/121685995558?hash=item1c550cf026&vxp=mtr

I also picked up some tokico illumina struts and progress lowering springs from 1.5Slowmatic here on the forums. One of the struts was blown so I ordered a new one. Ill post up pics when I get around to installing those. Its too hot right now. Just taking the downpipe off, my whole shirt was soaked in sweat like I jumped in a pool.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts