Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well here I am and now my own chapter begins. My name is Derek and I own a 93 white civic hatchback dx with the d15b7. No power options, manual(duh), and it has power steering. Wanted it to be as light as possible for DRAG racing. The car was completely stock when i bought it. Now I'll tell the story.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a Pm3(d16a6) cylinder head from a buddy for free. Yes i know the heads are the same but hey it was free so why not.

As you can tell from the pictures the head appeared to be in pretty good condition. My bud said the block had bearing knock but ran perfectly fine besides that. I did not find any marks on the head from piston contact. He stored it in a shed, that's why it has straw and webs on it lol

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
1988 d16a6 heads/cam/gear will work fine, 89-91 16 heads/cam/gear need to have a d16y7 or y8 cam gear installed to correct timing

freeFTW

EDIT saw your last few words, but its been 15-20 minutes lol. im impatient!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I picked up the d16y7 cam gear for proper timing with the a6 head on the 1.5 block thinking that i might get some runs with the a6 cam before the season ends but i have given up on doing that, too busy at work. Oh well here is the pic of the two just to show the difference for those who don't know. Y7 top, A6 bottom.

I also picked up another special treat for torqueing bolts accurately :)

THE MIGHTY EXCALIBER!!!
The range is 5-100 ft/lb and 60-240 inch/lb. Also has a gyro in it so i can do torque by degree as well. Price tag: you do not want to know lol lets put it this way, i don't use it at work and it does not stay at the shop either :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1988 d16a6 heads/cam/gear will work fine, 89-91 16 heads/cam/gear need to have a d16y7 or y8 cam gear installed to correct timing

freeFTW

EDIT saw your last few words, but its been 15-20 minutes lol. im impatient!
read next post lol and be patient young man lol got much much more to post :) driving home right now, will post more in 30.

Also technically the head was free but it still cost me a tank of gas to go pick it up at his place. But hey for a head that he is sure is in great condition it is worth it. I can trust his opinion, he buys scraps/wrecks and puts parts together to build civics and swifts. He pretty much knows what he is going to need to do on what and what the damage will be for certain engine failures. I trust the majority of his opinions. He said to just clean the head up and put her on and go.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So still in stock form i headed to the 1320 for some baselines times, but i had a trick up my sleeve. My goal was to get into the 16.xx My best time last year was a 17.2xx, but this year i had already went to the strip once and could not get better than a 17.8xx Figured it had something to do with the super dusty yard i had to drive through to get to work for the past few months. So i did my first run. Here is the time slip.

The run felt perfect but when i saw the time slip i blew a gasket in my brain lol and pulled off to the side. I pulled out my passenger seat and rear passenger seat and pulled my rabbit out of the bag. I pulled the passenger head light and ripped out the factory airbox plumbing. I then used a 3" piece of exhaust pipe to couple a k&n filter to the factory tube.

The end result was amazing! time slip after the quick moding:

I could have got 16's that night but i kept on gripping after these runs on the launch and bogging, but even still i was hitting 17.2's.
But the season is almost over and I am desperate. I want my 16's but now i have changed my goal to a 16.8. Stay tuned for next post as to how. Just for your guys info, the dragstrip here is at a higher altitude hence the slower times.

Just for a bit of nastalgia. Check this out. This is my uncle's helmet.

I tore the inside fabric out because the glue and stuffing was flaking off lol. so nasty.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The strip down begins.

My lovely assisstant, beautiful wife, and chubby prego lol I feel bad for her somedays. Luckily the holding the baby in her belly part is done beginning of december, then the rest starts lol

Wifey still working hard :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
so here is the pick of the scale weights from the dump.Lost 150 pounds!! Not including the passenger seat. This car now weighs under 2000 pounds!! Just barely but it still does!!!

Don't forget this weight is with me about 190 and my wife thinks she is like 150ish.
I will get a picture when i do a midnight run to a closed truck weigh station with me, my wife and the passenger seat out of the car.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a couple more tricks up my sleeve to get that kick but baseline.

Hmmmmm.... something is missing here...?

There it is!

It's a catalytic converter...

Without the catalyst :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I drove around with the cat gutted and no muffler for one day and came up with a new idea because staright pipe is cool at the track but way to hardcore for the city lol Also wifey said baby went crazy in her stomach at wot lmao

What i decided is to put the heavy junk muffler back on so what i did is bought a connecting peice of pipe, welded it to the muffler, Cut some grooves on the other end, slipped it over the exhaust pipe and clamped it down. Now next time i go to the strip i can do a run with the muffler on and then easily on bolt it and get a time with staright pipe and see the difference. Fun little experiment :)

Also sprayed the welds with rust paint because i used steel mig wire. I don't need it to last forever lol i know it is not permanent and it will rust out. Just need another month out of it. Also painted the gay tip black because it just looks a little less hurtin.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Finally the plans in the making:
Clean up the a6 head, shave it like 0.030"ish and put on z6 block with z6 pistons to get 9ish:1 compression. Possibly buy cheap mild turbo cam. Z6 intake manifold, hf/std exhaust manifold and t25 mitsu turbo and dsm injectors. Custom made 3 inch exhaust made by me, custom turbo piping done by me, and a set of b18a/b rods. I think i will buy s300 for tuning. not to sure yet but i believe that would be the best program to use. Yes total junkyard build, that's why i am not sure if i want to buy a mild cam or not :)

For tranny's i will try my dx tranny and an si tranny to see the difference for myself.

Change power steering to a standard rack for weight loss. Throw deck and speakers in garbage. Other idea i had is to strip out entire dash/ heater core, then make two brackets one on each side of the car on the inside facing the front window that will hold a small ceramic heater and a harness and switch for them. That way i can take them off at the track and stash em somewhere and then if it is humid out or the track gets rained out i can just turn them on and keep the window unfogged while i drive home. My goal is to have the car weigh 2000 pounds with me in it ready to race.

As for quarter mile times and horsepower goals. I'm shooting for 200 horse and 13.5. I think that is conservative. I am pretty sure i could get more horses than that reliably with the different rods and i bet with more than 200 i could rip into the 12's with some slicks. This is all bench racing of course and seeing different cars run at the track with similarities.

Questions, comments, criticism. Bring it on. All are welcome :)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Lol. This thread made me laugh. I like it haha. Actually the thing I really liked was the snap on trq wrench.

-Luke

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i just ran to a closed truck scale outside of the city, i know it is late but i am not working tomorrow so i got to do something with my time and i can't go to the scale when they are open during the day. What am I going to say, "hey guys i think my civic is overweight" lol

So here is the pic of the weight with the car only, how it would be driven on race day, except that it had more then half a tank of fuel. I usually run it right on the red empty mark at the track. Oh yes, I am that anal. I am about to go on a diet, that's how serious I am lol oh and this weight is with the muffler on so minus ten pounds for straight pipe.

wondering about the scales accuracy for lower weights(since it is meant for loaded trucks and trailers) i hopped in and found the result to be suprisingly accurate.

according to the truck scale i weigh approximately 198 pounds(1kg=2.2lbs) and no I am not fat:wacko:, just a husky build. I know someone out there would be thinking it so i better clear it up. You can see my abs, let's put it that way lol

So I will do the math for you guys. According to this scale my car weighs 1980lbs which meets my first goal which was to get the car under 2000lbs. My second goal is to get me and the car to weigh 2000 or less and right now we sit at roughly 2180 So that means i got to lose the body out of the trunk,....er.. i mean shed the weight of a man. Got a ways to go but i know when i get far enough that a full cage is neccessary it will probably add 200lbs back on, but that is a couple years down the road anyways. Might have a carbon fiber fedish by then, or maybe just throw the frame and body parts in the garbage, buy a trailer, build full frame out of tubing and mount fiberglass civic shell and go for9 second passes :3dbiggrin:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is just for people that do not know what the inside of a catalytic converter looks like. The entire space is filled with a porous material that looks like small square holes that go from the front all the way back.

Just buy a long punch and a hammer and beat it senseless. It will eventually all come out with some screwing around. Welding a piece of tubing in place is a better alternative but i know not everyone has a mig welder with a stainless reel in it,(flame on) or you could be like the totally super coolest boy(or girl) in school and spend hella fat chunk of green on a test pipe. That would be so cool, you would be down right the sickest dude at school man. People would think you got mad cash cause you spent 100 bucks on a piece of pipe.... lmao sorry couldn't resist.

Look forward to feed back.

Oh quick question, some mr2 driving doosh bag know-it-all was ragging on the honda engines and saying they are not made for boost and that I am going to "twist blocks" and to be careful, blah blah blah. He was a dink, didn't like his attitude much. Nonetheless though I have never heard/read about twisting blocks. Any insight on what mr2 boy was talking about?

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
no twisting blocks

but its dumb to gut a cat

makes the car sound shitty, and the sudden open and closing space of the cat hurts performance and exhaust scavenging pretty bad

a highflow cat is only 120, and BTW cats only slow performance from pipe diameter, not for BEING a cat

find a cat from a factory 2 inch exhaust or something and weld it in, if you need to pass emissions

1 - 20 of 26 Posts