Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
96 civic cx hatch
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i bought a 1996 Honda Civic CX hatchback off a friend of mine a while back, made a couple of post's on here, havent made a thread for the car just its problem's....

so here it is, its going to be a CONSTANTLY updated build page....im going to try to keep this post with up to date pic's...

mod's so far

motor:
d16y7 block (decked .010", line bored, honed)
d17a2 crank
d17a2 piston's/rod's
b18 crank pulley
d17 oil pump/water pump/crank seal's
d16y7 oil pan (w/ hole drilled for d17 dipstick)
y8 im, fuel rail, dizzy, harness, p2p ecu
k4f y8 transmission
8lb random flywheel
stage 2 pressure plate
exedy stage 2 clutch
half ass tucked bay
4-2-1 header
2.5" exhaust 18" resonator, random muffler
satin purple paint

interior:
zebra headliner
gsr gauge cluster
b&m short shifter
gsr shift knob
little bump in the trunk....
little tree air freshner
pw/pl/pm/tweeter conversion
fusebox under the air bag tray

exterior:
fancy lightbulb's (tag, blinker, hid's,etc, etc)
random coilover's maxed out
si wheel's
99 si front w/ebay grille, foglight's
95 accord REAR lip
type r rear lip
integra brake's all around (including rear disc swap)

nothing fancy under the hood...

comment's are welcome as well as criticism, its been a LONG journey, and ive learned alot, upnext is a t3/t04 .52/.57 turbo im gonna throw on it...so be sure and stay tuned!

diy or go home

·
Registered
96 civic cx hatch
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
that out of the way....

ill start this show...

started working on a harness a couple of day's ago for this turbo motor....

before...

where im at now....

already mocked up, zip tied and ready for sleeving, im using techflex PET uptown purple (black w/thin puprle stripe) and purple for the 1".....$44 worth....should get it hopefully at the beginning of the week....then the "fun" begin's....

its gonna look sexy when its done ;)

milehighef8: thanks!! i cant take credit for the exterior...i bought it like that, but i have fixed a bunch of random thing's on it...the front clip is actually aligned, ALL the light's work....ive got a bunch of time in this car and its not stopping anytime soon....

·
Registered
96 civic cx hatch
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tbh im not looking forward to it at all....im having to leave the big junction's in the harness on because honda-tech is a bunch of weiner's and wont help me look just give me a "search noob" a noob doesnt get this far lol...

its going to be interesting...and i have 2 more harnesses just incase anything goes deathly wrong....

·
Registered
96 civic cx hatch
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bunch of progress pictures, ill start from when i bought it to now...youll see a couple of different motor's lol...

sibling rivalry....

i wet sanded the shit out of the car too... 3 day's and a week's worth of tennis elbow worth of sanding with 1000,2000, 3000...its smoother then butter, it still needs a FINAL HEAVY cut with a high speed buffer and it would gleam like new....

after about an hour of cutting and polishing...

·
Registered
96 civic cx hatch
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so after around 2 month's of loving the hell out of this car, short shifting like a mother (under 5k) turning into the mall, 2nd gear 20mph, sob start's knocking....throw some 20w50 in it and i beat the piss out of it and got it home (15 miles away)

2 day's later i had a d16y8 in my driveway....2 week's later it was in....

decided i was gonna paint the bay while i was at it, i asked my little 4 yo daughter what color we should paint it and she said purple so.....
nothing like painting an engine bay in your front yard on a busy street....

well...60 miles on the motor...disaster...

the largest piece of piston i found was about the size of a pecan....it just poof...disappeared...to this day i still dont know what happened, i had oil pressure, fuel, spark, never ran hot, never threw a code, 40mph it sputters a little bit and POOF! white smoke....timing is the only real guess i have....

·
Registered
96 civic cx hatch
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
block, girdle, crank and piston's were all dropped off this morning at Cylinder Head Service's....should get it back monday or tuesday...

blocked honed, decked, rod's straightened out, crank turned, and cleaned....for a grand total of.....

$200....

after i get everything back im ordering part's....then the real fun begin's ;)

ALSO!!!

swapping door's and making your own floor harness suck's ass....had the door apart to get the lock's out and i had the frame off....wife hit the window down button....now i cant get the damn window back on track....im going to pull the window out and start over.....so far ive only got one door swapped and its not a big of weight difference as i thought it would be....

SELL ME BLACK INTERIOR PIECES!!!!

·
Registered
96 civic cx hatch
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got the other door on....now the fun part, what feel's like 6 miles of wiring....such a cluster, and im going off a diagram i found on the interweb that seem's to work, its gotten the window's rolled down with my drill battery...

tip for those that have never hung door's....floor jack and a 2x4...pick it up in the middle and you dont have to fight it...i was able to get the door swapped in under 15 minutes using that method...

also, backordered on my uptown purple in 1/8" and 1/4" so i just asked for a refund, went to harbor freight bought some wire loom and just did it that way for the time being, ive still got another harness that i can do the sleeving to...

progress pic's from today...

harness..i still have to get some 1" but so far ive got $6 in it for 1/8" and 1/2" loom...

and later on down the road i can always sleeve this harness....but after looming it, it shouldnt be that bad, you gotta do it in order or else it look's like a cluster fuck....looking at the pictures though if i had some wire tape (the non sticky kind) it would almost look oem....too bad youll never see it lol...

·
Registered
193 Posts
nice progress, sorry about the engine, but why whould u jack up the door with a floor jack? just get a buddy to help u hold it. unless u wanna chip your paint.

·
Registered
96 civic cx hatch
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats what the 2x4 is for, something soft to support it....

i had my wife helping me, and she just wasnt cutting it, its the same principle as hanging a commercial door (2x4 wedge's and you hammer them in to level the door up and make it easier to hang....and i figured out on the 2nd door its SOO much easier to leave the hinge attached to the car rather then swap it to the door....

ive kinda ran into a brick wall though, ive got the lock's working, but only the driver side window rolls up and down, now i can run over to the passenger door and use a drill battery and it roll's up and down fine, somewhere in my wiring something isnt right, its only 3 wire's, a positive and an up and a down, my only guess is my wiring isnt strong enough to carry the 12v from the passenger side and counter clockwise around the car into the right rear where the battery is.....idk, its late, it all kinda work's, ill work on it tomorrow...

and i LOVE the dynomat in the door's, makes the stereo sound soo much crisper and cleaner..

·
Registered
193 Posts
yeah lol i know what u mean on the hinges. i did the same just left them on the body so i wouldnt have to mess around with them to get them to sit correctly. does dynomat really help that much? i never used it but heard it kinda spendy.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
love the black and purple told boss i wanted a black and purple truck

·
Registered
94 ej1, 99 328I
13 Posts
Looking good so far! I hope I can get brave like you and dive into a full tuck. How/where are you going to run the wires into the cabin?

·
Registered
96 civic cx hatch
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
honestly, from someone who would rather shit it n get it then bump loud music (only reason theres a sub in my car now is to make up for it being slow as ball's...) but i think im going to keep it....theres a whole lot less road noise, hell my exhaust even sound's different now...

all in all, id buy it, theres a LOT cheaper products out there though, ill ask my audio guru's what its called and ill let you know...i want to say its just seam sealer sheet's (like for duct work and what not) from home depot/lowes and they swear by it...

thanks! i have my day's with that purple, 98% of the time i love it, but then theres that 2% (like when muscle car guy's pop my hood) that makes me want to paint it a generic blood red...

New hole in the firewall....going to take a 1" drill bit pop two holes directly under the intake manifold (think behind the radio area but lower) and run them through it, im going to try my best to keep the stock gromet because im cheap and dont wanna buy another one....in a perfect world i would buy one of those $4 million fancy clip in screw on plug's...but its not in the budget lol...ill take a bunch of pictures when i do that though, ill have the motor out so itll be a whole lot easier...i wish i would have taken pic's of my mocked up motor with the harness on it...

1 - 20 of 164 Posts