Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so it all starts with the idea!

ok so i was thinking of going with either d16y8 or z6....i doest matter because ive been doing a bit of reading here about the disputes over which is better and have come to the conclusion that when it comes down to it....it really doesnt matter with the type of build i have in mind.

im hoping to have a 250-300 hp sohc turbo build.

i did some ebaying and some craigslist surfing.....i was wondering...is it safe to buy a complete BARE block since most of the internals are going to be AM or bought new? thats excluding the Crank and Head. or should i buy a complete longblock and just replace parts?

·
Registered
537 Posts
You can come up on some cheap blocks and heads sometimes. But its always a gamble on the condition you know. When I buy engine cores, at least half will have some issue with it. Bad crank, cracked sleeves, stripped threads, etc. So its a chance you take if you're buying used cores. Same goes with a longblock, if you're buying from a private party. You just never know the condition when they sell it, unless its guaranteed and it was running recently.

If you're having someone build the block, check if the place has cores. We provide engine and head cores to customers and we guarantee that we're using a good core for them. We take the hassle out of you having to tear the cores apart and finding bad ones.

In my opinion, y8 or z6 doesnt matter. Z6 seems to be more common and certain little things are cheaper on the z6, such as new oil pan, etc. Whatever is easier for you to get, I guess is what i'd use.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
if you have done research and have neither bottom end yet...id think you would want a Z6/a6/ and no Y series. since they have less oiling holes, and shitty oil pumps. and shitty oil dipstick location/setup. as far as the heads go. If its just a dd setup.(250-300whp) id go with the Y8 due to its power coming on earlier than the z6. id do the z6 head if you are planning on an high hp car in future. Why does the Y8 head make power earlier? and why does Z6 make power a lil higher? that research you did im sure told you. good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts