EJ8
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·

·
Registered
EJ8
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Decided to rebuild the distributor since buying one new is incredibly expensive, so the spare one I had, I swapped over the bits that were cooked from the original one and upgraded the ignition coil while I was at it.

Table Wood Gas Engineering Machine

I forgot that I didn't have the right oil seal and had it jacked in there covered in gasket maker, so I just cleaned it all off and went the same route. Hopefully doesn't bite me in the ass.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Font

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Electrical wiring

Carnage. Everywhere.. and I stabbed myself in the thumb. Found a few wires that were split, it was all a big mess.
Finger Gas Auto part Wire Cable

I will be installing it tomorrow as it is again freezing out there.

New headlights came in this morning which I am really happy about. The ones on my car now are projectors and they no longer aim, they go way left.. and blind everyone.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

The new adjustable cat arrived on Friday - Yes, it is time.. the angry housewife will be installed the same day I install this.
Brick Automotive tire Gas Cylinder Brickwork

Ahh yes, the lake entertainment. I watched these people try and get their car out of a little bit of snow for three hours. I could have helped them, but.. meh this was more entertaining. Eventually, they did get help from this side by side. it took a long time though. All they would do is get pulled out of their ruts and then hammer on the gas and put themselves right back in the same situation... I don't understand how people can be so dumb. Luckily for them, even if they did go through, it's not very deep there. Maybe ankle height once they drop the levels in the fall.. You can walk out 500ft or so and it will only be shoulder height if you're 5'11 at least.
Automotive tire Water Snow Vehicle Motor vehicle

That's all for now :)

·
Registered
EJ8
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Map sensor made a huge difference in terms of performance, I drove the car for two.. TWO days and my oil pan gasket took a big shit. I knew it needed to be changed as I did notice some leaks. I ordered one from Honda Canada but it was back-ordered and didn't get here in time so I used a Fel pro.

I noticed some shrapnel in the pickup housing but I don't think it's from this motor. I want to say it was overlooked when swapped from the original Y8 this was on. I pulled out as many pieces of whatever it was (it felt like paper) at least. A few very small flakes of metal shavings in the pan but nothing that concerns me. Everything looks pretty nice in there.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Circuit component Electronic component Automotive exterior

·
Registered
EJ8
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
That oil looks crazy, it must be the camera lol, looks like catalina dressing being all red!

Or you did an oil change with ATF at one point haha
It's just the blood of my enemies. Nothing to see here.

·
Registered
EJ8
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
What a rough few weeks it has been...

So installed the new headlights, but once plugged in I was having electrical issues. The driver-side plug had been t-tapped by previous (I guess it melted at some point). Drivers' side low beam wouldn't work very well, side marker would stay on all the time when I would turn on my high beams, the passenger light turned off and everything just did its own thing. I looked like a train crossing.

Hand Helmet Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Stop looking at the rust.

Cut all that crap off and soldered the existing gray plug into the original harness and now everything works as it should and it's not some janky ass garbage.

Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

They look nice. I am unsure if I am going to put those eyelids back on or not. Kind of like it without them but it does make the car stand out since it's not a popular cosmetic "mod" around here.

So everything was going well and then on my way home a week ago, a dump truck gave birth to a boulder-sized ice egg and I had two options. Play chicken with oncoming traffic or try and go around it while it bounced towards the ditch. I choose the latter and it nailed my passenger front wheel and the impact was loud.. which also resulted in an instantaneous flat tire.

Tire Footwear Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

A local tire shop offered me two front pairs of cheap ass china tires for $400 installed. I found a set of Hakkapeliitta tires on FB marketplace for $300 with only a season on them, with steelies. Apparently, these are great tires from what I have been told, never even heard of them before.

My wheel is fine by the way. No cracks or bends from what I can see, I am happy. I like those wheels.

I made it home this week with no issues, I took the highway this time. Pretty dead at 3 AM, fewer chances of hitting icebergs. It needed a break from all that for one night. :p

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,438 Posts

·
Registered
EJ8
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
I guess I am due for an update ...

• Bought 205/50/15 Falken Azenis RT660s for the Buddyclubs - I look forward to using those for AutoX days.
  • Timken rear hub assembly, was cheaper than I thought it would be. Only doing one side for now.
  • The rest of my gaskets and flanges came in for the exhaust so now it's just finding the time.
  • Ordered the drivers' side upper wheelhouse, Honda Canada said "No" so I grabbed one from the US.
  • Ordered new primed front fenders

.. I reconnected with an old friend, we have always been in talks but never really rekindled if that makes sense. I used to hang out at her mechanics for parties and such back in the day, totally forgot he moved his shop but was still actually doing things, so I dropped my car off to him on Wednesday morning and he did my transmission swap with the new clutch, flywheel, did the rear main seal at the same time. He said the guy who sold me the transmission didn't lie, it's working great and it was in fact the input shaft bearing that was toast. I look forward to tearing the transmission apart and learning how to rebuild one.. but handle more power.

Now all the major mechanical stuff I wanted to get done is done and I am going to focus on bodywork, it needs it. I have everything to do with the quarter panels, the hood and trunk aren't a huge concern right now. I have decided to just do the rust repair and send my car off to a friend's body shop in the fall/winter and get him to fix anything I messed up or any new dings/dents and re-spray it over the winter. I was going to wrap it but meh... I don't have the patience and I guess I am old, prefer paint.

Still need to do suspension stuff but I am having an issue with my drum brakes. I have redone them twice now, I don't know wtf i am doing wrong.. They work and then they suck. I changed everything but the wheel cylinders. As soon as it gets cold or damp, they are incredibly noisy and once warmed up, the car nose dives like crazy so.. they aren't working.

I am going to hit the wreckers in the nicer weather, maybe I will come across some disc brakes on an integra. :p

Have a great Easter.

·
Registered
EJ8
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Dropping the car off for its next big/last mechanic service of the year on Monday to do the following..

• Front brakes (Rotor screw stripped and won't come out.. of course, it won't..)
  • Rear drum rebuild
  • "New" rust-free shift linkage installed with energy suspension bushings, B&M Dual bend shifter
  • Fuel filter replaced
  • Rear passenger hub replaced
  • The RT660s are to be mounted on the Buddy clubs.

The clutch is nicely broken in now, feels great. Was definitely due. I have no idea when it was done last, I am sure it was.. but who knows.

Bought myself an early b-day gift since I finally cooked my old Kaption SPL1200s. I got them for free from an old friend who did comp. with 4 of them, and they were the only two that survived and then lasted 6 years. They owe me nothing! So I decided to toss em and start fresh with something new, a Skar SDR 12" 1200w. I am contemplating on waiting and buying a 1ohm stable amp or use my current Rockville DB45, bridge it and running it on a 2ch. I don't know, I have asked a few and some say to wait and some say it'll be fine with the Rockville.
Output device Water Product Public address system Audio equipment

Washed my car for the first time this spring and guess what happened.. My 3yr old bondo job caved in.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

I have patch panels but my welder got covid and now he has a light sensitivity issue, so he can't weld for a few months. So I am going to fibreglass mat patch it and hopefully that holds for the time being and stops water from leaking into my trunk. I am not driving the car in the winters anymore so I am not as paranoid about the rust. It's pretty bad but.. it could be worse.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Plant

Looks nice from a distance though ;)

141 - 160 of 160 Posts