Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got me another d-series civic. I have taken a vacation from them for about 3 years now and in that time I have owned a 07 Honda Civic SI, 2007 Acura RDX (still own), and a 2012 Honda Civic LX (god I hated that car).

I don't know how many of you remember me. I know some of you will; however, I see a lot of new faces and a lot of old usernames still. Here is my old car and the one I should have never sold, I think we all have one that we wish we'd never sold.

I've now owned 7 ED civics and sold all 7 of them. I finally got me the year model I've always wanted and it's not a bad start giving how clean the paint / body is on it.

Anyways, let's jump in here. I know this time around I want to start with suspension and rims.

A.) Because out of the thousands of dollars I spent on my 91 Hatch I think the best money I ever spent was the $220.00 I spent on Ball Joints, UCA's, End Links, Knuckles, and Urethane Bushing Kit. That was the most noticeable thing I did was get the old , worn out crap out of there.

B.) Rims are the most noticeable of all modifications, even people who don't give a damn notice rims.

Here is where I start to get confused about future plans tho. I know this is a d-series website and I must admit it feels dumb to post this here, but I am considering 3 different routes with this car. I only have experience with obd0-obd1 conversions, and my a6/z6 mini me I did. I don't know too damn much about y7/y8's or their common problems outside of oiling issues with turbo.

I have to keep my ac, it isn't even an option to lose it since this vehicle will transport my son from my moms to my house every day while the wife and I go to work. I want a fun DD, so I don't want an all out track car but I'd love for it to have enough pep to not be the miserably slow car that it currently is.

Options I'm considering this time around.

a.) b16a2 NA w/ Cams while retaining ac.
b.) b16a2 swap with JRSC or similar supercharger while retaining ac.
c.) LSVtec with a b18c head.
d.) d16xx swap with small turbo pushing 180-220whp and retaining ac.

I don't know a lot about DOHC's, but I think it's the direction I need to go with this car. I would love to throw a small turbo on the d-series and shoot for 200 whp , but I don't know a lot about the y7/y8 and maybe I need to do my homework, because to be honest. It probably will be the most straightforward option that is the least expensive.

I don't know, y'all sound off let me know what you think?

I'm a little confused about the plans for this car outside of suspension. I just know that if I do go turbo it will have to be reliable and not junk parts.

Oh, and here is the car.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Clean looking car, personally I dont see a point in wasting money on a swap, just turbo it. A goautoworks setup will retain ac and get you up to 280whp+ if you build the block, check out my build thread for my sedan I am just about read to reinstall my turbo

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
So I finally got me another d-series civic. I have taken a vacation from them for about 3 years now and in that time I have owned a 07 Honda Civic SI, 2007 Acura RDX (still own), and a 2012 Honda Civic LX (god I hated that car). (I don't know you as I'm fairly new here but welcome back just the same)

I don't know how many of you remember me. I know some of you will; however, I see a lot of new faces and a lot of old usernames still. Here is my old car and the one I should have never sold, I think we all have one that we wish we'd never sold. (1964 MkI MG Midget RHD, wish I had a place to just squirrel that car away, I'd never have sold it lol)

I've now owned 7 ED civics and sold all 7 of them. I finally got me the year model I've always wanted and it's not a bad start giving how clean the paint / body is on it. (Well played, paint body is a deal breaker on our cars, if it has too great of needs, it becomes economically insane to prcede)

Anyways, let's jump in here. I know this time around I want to start with suspension and rims. (Always a good place to start, you don't always get to use hp, but you always drive your suspension no matter how slow you go)

A.) Because out of the thousands of dollars I spent on my 91 Hatch I think the best money I ever spent was the $220.00 I spent on Ball Joints, UCA's, End Links, Knuckles, and Urethane Bushing Kit. That was the most noticeable thing I did was get the old , worn out crap out of there. (I wouldn't set about on my first "upgrade" until I knew all the "needs" were sorted out)

B.) Rims are the most noticeable of all modifications, even people who don't give a damn notice rims. (unless these people are financing your build, give no fucks what they think)

Here is where I start to get confused about future plans tho. I know this is a d-series website and I must admit it feels dumb to post this here, but I am considering 3 different routes with this car. I only have experience with obd0-obd1 conversions, and my a6/z6 mini me (technically a "vtec swap", I digress) I did. I don't know too damn much about y7/y8's or their common problems outside of oiling issues with turbo. (google is your friend)

I have to keep my ac, it isn't even an option to lose it since this vehicle will transport my son from my moms to my house every day while the wife and I go to work. I want a fun DD, so I don't want an all out track car but I'd love for it to have enough pep to not be the miserably slow car that it currently is. (I'd keep the AC too, just remember, turbo + ac + a LOT of extra heat under the hood)

Options I'm considering this time around.

a.) b16a2 NA w/ Cams while retaining ac.
b.) b16a2 swap with JRSC or similar supercharger while retaining ac.
c.) LSVtec with a b18c head. (straight up LS swap will be your easiest higher hp NA setup whilst keeping AC. To retain OE driveability, this is the path I'd be searching first)
d.) d16xx swap with small turbo pushing 180-220whp and retaining ac.

I don't know a lot about DOHC's, but I think it's the direction I need to go with this car. I would love to throw a small turbo on the d-series and shoot for 200 whp , but I don't know a lot about the y7/y8 and maybe I need to do my homework, because to be honest. It probably will be the most straightforward option that is the least expensive.

I don't know, y'all sound off let me know what you think?

I'm a little confused about the plans for this car outside of suspension. I just know that if I do go turbo it will have to be reliable and not junk parts.

Oh, and here is the car.

Everyone here loves their turbo D's, I'm not sold yet personally, if I'm going to take the time money and effort to build a car, I'd like for it to be reliable and driveable. If I was building a max HP drag car, I'd turbo the shit out of it but I'm a take the dd to the track and run laps and then drive home on the mountain roads and sit in traffic from time to time kind of guy, peaky horsepower and engines that generate more heat than they can effectively shed at low speed doesn't work for me.

But I'm not paying for you car so you need to figure out what works for you lol. Take your time, do your homeword, read lot's of threads, make good decisions...and post up your work, we love that shit

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look's good man. I am glad Greg (Go-Autoworks) is only about 1hour and 10 minutes away from my house. I will be driving down there if I decide to go ahead with this build just to ensure he can see the turbo housing etc. and mock it to my car.

I am the kind of person tho that likes to have a spare in front of me to build while I retain the drive ability of my car, plus I kind of have to do it that way. So in order for me to plan boost I have to buy a broken down d16y8 off of someone and buy the non tec to vtec conversion harnesses.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reply to Calinoob.

That is the thing I keep in mind while turbo + ac is the extra heat out put from underneath the hood of these cars. For some reason these d-series motors seem to be hotter than others, or maybe that is just Honda in general given the engine bay design and size.

When going ac + aftermarket turbo you're going to have to heat wrap as much of the turbo kit as you can to displace unwanted heat. I don't exactly want to melt down a hot/cold side line in the process of trying to do something "fun" with my car, plus that is all my wife needs is fuel for the fire of reasons I should just "leave the car alone".

The rim thing, the wife in an indirect way is "financing" the build and through everything I do to the car I can almost guarantee that will be the only thing she notices; otherwise, she just wishes "I'd grow up and get a new hobby." Hah

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
Ac compaitble turbo D > supercharged b16 anyday. Run a smaller nissan t25 greddy manifold or some other ac compatible manifold and make a downpipe. Quick spool itll make almost the same power as the jrsc b16 itll make you happy enough to go bigger haha. I understand the need to keep ac i have 2 step kids and a wife lol

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
If you only need 200hp there is no need for a spare block unless you want a built block for high hp, I had my hx d16y5 turbo for almost 2 years with not a single problem. The heat under the hood almost felt the same as stock to but that could be because I was only making 166hp 149tq (that extra 40/50 hp and 50tq makes a huge difference in the way the car feels also). I had no problems passing 3-4 cars at once on a single passing lane road and I see no reason to go above 220hp besides to say you have done it.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the reasoning for wanting a spare block is this.

While the car is incredibly clean, it also has 179,112 miles on it as of right now, now I know Honda's will last 300k + easy (my 91 crx si had 275,500 original miles on it when I sold it) once again it is my DD to get my son 12 miles from moms to my house every day and I'm the type of person that doesn't feel great about boosting those kind of miles. Now if I put like a JDM d15b in the car, I may not feel so bad about it since I would have a spare engine laying around and I know I can swap these things in a matter of hours.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
If you take your time and install everything correct and get it tuned conservatively it will last, my hx had 175xxx miles when I boosted it and it lasted to 210xxx when my car was rearended with not one problem, I owned the car 4 years and put over 120,000 miles on it (with the last 1.5-2 years being boosted). I do understand wanting a spare block for backup but I dd'ed my hx and boosted was just as reliable as stock

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True, I don't know. I am going to sit down tonight and figure everything out price vs. price etc.

I may just end up picking a full kit from Greg and tuning it on low psi until I build the block, that way I've got the turbo there for 300-350 whp, but I don't know. We will see what comes along between now and then.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
sexy fodo, mr. fry!

man that 4th gen hatch looked tits.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw it the other day hovering in town Ed. The guy who bought it flew from New York to his aunts to buy it and then drove it back home. He called me when he got in town and I wish I had not deleted the picture of it now, because we all would have cried.

He has z3 fenders, got a "nice" $300.00 paint job w/ orange peel galore and it now has some ugly ass 18' rims on it, so needless to say it is riced out. The z6 mini me is still in there with the wire tuck, but the rest of it is junk lookin now.

·
Registered
557 Posts
honestly its cheaper in the long run to just build a engine. go to a junk yard, find a z6 long block($200) Rods($350) Pistons ($125vitaras/or others$400) bearings and a head refresh($200ish) and that isn't much. Machine work is pretty cheap if you can put together yourself. Its not to hard. Just throwing that out there

·
Registered
Ek sedan
382 Posts
Your car looks just like mine did stock lol I would ls swap it for what you are saying. B16s have no guts they just rev high and make noise. I think a supercharged ls swap would be a lot more fun a lot more reliably than a turbo d, hell people use ls rods in built d series.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Welcome back sir. This is, after all, d-series.org ... none of this two cam nonsense will be tolerated.

I keed ... a little.

Turbo can be just as reliable as NA with proper precautions taken ... and a turbo D make gobs of torque. For a fun DD weekend warrior ... I vote turbo D.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I saw it the other day hovering in town Ed. The guy who bought it flew from New York to his aunts to buy it and then drove it back home. He called me when he got in town and I wish I had not deleted the picture of it now, because we all would have cried.

He has z3 fenders, got a "nice" $300.00 paint job w/ orange peel galore and it now has some ugly ass 18' rims on it, so needless to say it is riced out. The z6 mini me is still in there with the wire tuck, but the rest of it is junk lookin now.
Damn ricers! I'm crying now! That car was gorgeous! What a tool for ruining sexiness.:TD:

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm very much in favor of the Turbo D-series. I am a bit particular when it comes to preparing for such an event tho. It will take me some time to find me a z6 / y8 to build while I still drive the Civic every day.

Since this is my "dd" the swap will have to be done in a day for the most part, or I will have to do it the week my wife is off work so that there is no need for my civic at that time.

I wish I had all the engines that I sold back, but hey don't we all.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

:bigugh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts