Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone.

I finally got around to trimming the videos from the Open Lapping event I went to on May 22, 2017 at the Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (Driver Development Track). I captured on video the moment that the motor said goodbye to this world...

I was chasing a 4-door Honda Civic Si (K20) down a slight right stretch. I attempted to upshift into 3rd and missed the gate. I over-revved the motor and you can hear a "clunk". That's the exact moment that the exhaust valve broke at the neck in cylinder two. Of course I simply thought I missed the gate, put it into 3rd and attempted to accelerate. Little did I know that I was destroying the head and chewing a hole through the piston. The video ends with an anti-climactic roll into the grass.

Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/z9-E02wohU4

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch, well it sounded pretty good up until that point.
Thanks.

I posted a few videos on the Just Racing forum. It was running well until it wasn't.

Now just focused on getting it back on the track. I've had an OBD2 JDM d15b with a y8 sitting in the garage for the last couple of years "just in case". I'm going to drop that in for now with the simple bolt-ons. At least it'll get me down the track. Hopefully it'll run well. The z6 was essentially a fully rebuilt motor. This d15b is a bit of a question mark...

I think next year I'll toss the Rocket Motorsports stage-4 camshaft, springs and retainers into a spare z6 I have. Maybe get that ported and polished as well with NEW valves... I still have the RDX injectors that I didn't get to use this year. I'll be happy if I'm making around 140-150whp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts