Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so this thread is about what is the best combination of d-series motor parts to use for a build. i see alot of people use the z6 head, y8 intake, p29 pistons, etc. what do you guys feel is the best combo? include everything from the ecu to tranny. im interested cause im about to start a build myself (altho im probably going with the h22a because its cheap and pretty durable under high boost conditions)

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
I haven't really seen people switching to Y8 intakes. It was just a rumor if anything(that it's better).

Setup would depend on whether you're going NA or FI...and budget. What everybody is using is P29s or Vitara's.

·
Registered
936 Posts
it's more work to tune dual cam, especially non-stock cams.

sohc turbo built right will rape...at half the cost. d-series tranny with 4.435 fd, ex 1 and 2 gears, zc 3rd and 4th, obx lsd = sick. or skip the zc 3 and 4 gears and go with 4.7 fd.

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts
be an OG san... CVCC. FTW! :TU:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's more work to tune dual cam, especially non-stock cams.

sohc turbo built right will rape...at half the cost. d-series tranny with 4.435 fd, ex 1 and 2 gears, zc 3rd and 4th, obx lsd = sick. or skip the zc 3 and 4 gears and go with 4.7 fd.
it is just more of a precision tune. you can achieve more specific tuning with two cams. i just prefer it. don't get me wrong tho. the d series is what i drive everyday and i don't think ill change the motor in my dd but im gettin ready to build a turbo h22 and drop it in an older integra or mid 90's accord. 2 cams is just what i prefer with a turbo.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
lol i was walkin through a pick-n-pull one day and saw one of the 3 valves with out a VC and i was like what the fuck is that thing

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
11,969 Posts
i saw a super mint 81 Civic today...... still had the original factory paint and cheesey decal pinstripe grapics along the door. it was fucking beautiful!

on topic: i love me some fucking boost. just not on a honda. i prefer to have a NA honda.
i'm not shooting for a 200hp NA track car. its my DD with weekend autocross track capabilites.

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
11,969 Posts
If this thread cant shit and fly straight it to will be closed....

anyone care to keep it on topic
nobody is talking about their own personal set-up, might as well close it mods...
maybe the new guy could search the SHOWCASE section to learn about other's set-ups

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
A6+P29's+stage 1 or 2 cam+Y8 hg= NOICE!!!! LOL...atleast thats what I'm gonna do. :TU:

I'm just worried about valve clearence with a stage 2 cam and P29's.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
i agree with joe. You can make just as much or more power with non-vtec. Bisi stg 2 cam, P29's, good tune, and you got a nice lil ripper motor right there

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
well for a d-series build im gonna say we go na. honestly im not a huge fan of the sohc turbo concept. its easier to tune a turbo with dual cams.
How could you not be "a huge fan of the sohc turbo concept" but be a fan of N/A D series? I mean, sure throttle response is nice, but so is 300whp with a little less throttle response compared to 135whp with all the throttle response in the world...up to 135whp. I don't know, I guess I'm not a huge fan of putting more work into something and getting less results.

·
Formerly weebeastie
904 Posts
a6 with p29's

This has been covered a few times, and the search button does still work (last time I checked anyway). An a6 with P29's, .040 off the head, a Y8 head gasket, and a bisimoto level 2 cam have absolutely no clearance issues, unless your cam timing is screwed up. I'm about to put a carb'd version of that engine in my 91 hatchback Civic.

As for VTEC, if you've already got it then use it. If not buy a cheaper A6 engine core and go from there. P29's have been done a thousand times over, just don't get to thin with the head gasket. i.e. taking the middle layer out of a Y8 MLS gasket. Sure it might run without blowing (there's a chance), but I've rarely seen a stock 3 layer gasket blow with a p29 build. Just my experience.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts