Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1996 civic ex. sohc nothing fancy but some dc headers and k&n fliter. It had been havin ruff start ups in the mornings for a week or so, then one day i drove it to work, and it would not start up anymore after i had gotten there and was about to drive again.

when it was hard to start in the mornings initially, id turn it over but nothing but the starter spinning and cranking but no combustion. when i would let off the starter, it would sometimes very ruffly make a weak combustion but more like a cough.

when i got stranded at work, we were able to push start it three times but it died out very shortly after, and wont start at all any longer.

There was no spark from the plugs or pulse to my injectors... i started looking into my distributor, which >had a light pooling of oil inside at the bottom < (of the dist cap) the ICM kinda sits right there were all the mess was... my cap was tight, maybe it needs a new cap and gasket along this repairs way... **my engine bleeds oil slowly all over***

so i'm testing my ignition stuff as instructed here:

PART IV: Testing the Honda Civic's Ignition System for the Switching Signal

ok i m not sure what to make of my results from TEST 5 test in the link above. My Test light lights up with ignition on but when i crank it, it doesnt FLASH on and Off, it turns off until i stop cranking it, then it comes back on. Is this flashing off and on? I didnt really consider it that.

Also, when i plug the clip to the + and the other to the neg as instructed in this test the test light comes on without the key being in at all.

So assuming its not "flashing" in step six i get the LEd on without a key in the ignition, and when i crank the motor, it flashes...

anyone dealt with testing their distributer much that can offer suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so i went with ICM diagnosis, the new IgnitionControlModule cost $111.04 from Jim McNatt Honda, and....

It works again!!

The rotor cap etc will have to wait for a min, but I got a good recommendation to get a replacement Distributor seal from PartsTrain.com PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts - Distributor Seal For 1996 Honda Civic EX 4 Cyl 1.6L

The dist seal is only $12 bucks and apparently honda doesnt sell them without an attached distributor housing for around $300... That was what was recomended for the oil inside my cap situation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts