Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a small hole in my OEM catalytic converter on my 98 Hatchback with a y8 header/cat. Its on the piping so it's patchable via some welding. But I'm looking at maybe replacing it altogether as I got the cat used from a guy on HT (couldn't go wrong for $30 with a working O2!).

Here's my setup:
ebay y8 Header
OEM cat (unknown mileage, though I've put about 25k on it in the last year)
Spec Tuning Cat-back

I live in Ohio, so no need for emissions testing. I'm not looking for ridiculous loud, which is part of my question; if I go the test pipe route (such as the ebay option) how much louder is the exhaust going to be? Seeing as I'm OBD2, and running a 2nd O2 in the Cat, will it throw a CEL if I plug the O2 into the testpipe?

In my old 96 H22 Accord, I had a DC header, MagnaFlow hi-flow cat, and Apexi WS2 and loved that tone. If I can find it, a WS2 will be going on this, but that's for another day.

What is everyone's thoughts on a testpipe such as the ebay one linked above vs. a high-flow vs. an OEM?

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
i have a gutted cat and my butt dyno says its a very minimal gain but i had no choice since it was the cheapest option i had while appearing legal lol.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really looking at the performance gain factor. When you are sitting on 107hp to begin with, that's really not a factor. A swap a boost of some sort (turbo or SC) is down the line probably, but not anytime real soon.

Looking more at the loudness factor. This is my DD and I do over 100 miles a day for work. Not looking for a Harley or 88 Pontiac Sunfire sound....

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
it will be quite abit louder with a test pipe also it will be very raspy unless you have a good resonator in the mid pipe but it wont cure all, best bet is to install a short glasspack in place of the cat. i also beleave they make trick o2 sensors that let the ecm see what it wants to see regardless as to what really going on

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
Not really looking at the performance gain factor. When you are sitting on 107hp to begin with, that's really not a factor. A swap a boost of some sort (turbo or SC) is down the line probably, but not anytime real soon.

Looking more at the loudness factor. This is my DD and I do over 100 miles a day for work. Not looking for a Harley or 88 Pontiac Sunfire sound....
well seeing as i have a chambered muffler its doesn't get loud at all. when i had a oem cat you barley even noticed the sound if any. now that its gutted its noticeable but not annoying its not even in the cops radar which i like since im in cali. it should be louder though but if you run a resonator long enough it might help.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I've decided that I'll grab a test pipe and if its too loud and annoying, I'll just get the hole welded on the cat and put it back on. I'll be out $15 for the testpipe but at least won't have seen downtime.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Gutting a stock cat impedes flow and you will loose power. (No, I am not kidding.)

A test pipe is generally illegal. Weld the hole and go about your life polluting a little less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts