52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys, i need this solved asap.

The car:

Boosted d16z6 18psi.
8.8 C:R.
Forged pistons, eagle rods etc. etc.

Im the tuner, not the owner

I have a terrible misfire… when? Wot it + 4krevs + high gears.

Ive already checked:

Compression and leak down test: ITS ALL GOOD.

Ive already changed. Sparkplugs ( 6 & 7 iridium gapped to 0.30 or 0.28) happens the same.
New sparkplug wires.
New distributor, but not “tec” some chinesse I bought from ebay.
Inyectors are firing good.. they all work fine.
Replaced the intake manifold gasket and the throttle body gasket.
The fitv is blocked, but a little air bypass it, so I lost 5inhcg of vacuum.. it idles at 15inhcg. Need to fix that.
Timing is synched at 16 (red mark) and synched with Neptune.

This is the problem… To use the car in the city it behaves well… now when im on a highway and put 3rd or 4d gear and wot it… as soon as I touch the 4k revs, lets say at 10psi…. it misfires badly. When it does my tune is set up to be in that wot/revs at 12:1 air/fuel.. and it is in that range. If I wot it in 1st… it doesn’t happen…

THEN… After it makes the misfire… it start doing it more often, until you cant drive it anymore cause its undriveable.

BUT… I repeat… if you don’t “make” the misfire… meaning with that… that you don’t rev it up to 4k or you don’t wot it… the car can run fine all day long.. as soon as you do it, and it misfires the car does it everytime. THEN after it cools down, the misfire is gone.

I removed the NEW distributor and measured the resistance of each sensor and the ignition coil… they are all in spec… The only thing I can think of, after trying everything in the world… Is that the CHINESSE IGNITION MODULE WORKS FINE, UNTIL IT HEATS UP due to 10psi+ wot, 4k+revs… that would it explain why then, after its heated, it does the misfire everytime and then when it cools (the next day) it works fine…. Again.. until you wot it…

So please help me out what do you think? Ive tried everything, and im open to any ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
if you you can WOT in 1st and 2nd without issues i would try to do a couple pulls in those gears and get things hot to rule out the Module getting hot and malfunctioning. In higher gears i would think it would just be more load on the engine compared to say 1st and 2nd gear. Same cap and rotor? no leaks or seepage around the distributor that would cause the spark to arch and get weak enough to miss under a load?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you you can WOT in 1st and 2nd without issues i would try to do a couple pulls in those gears and get things hot to rule out the Module getting hot and malfunctioning. In higher gears i would think it would just be more load on the engine compared to say 1st and 2nd gear. Same cap and rotor? no leaks or seepage around the distributor that would cause the spark to arch and get weak enough to miss under a load?
Thanks for the help man. No, no leaks.. The dizzy is new. .. chinesse... but new. When i say the distributor is new, i mean everything... rotor, cap.. the whole thing...

This is the one i bought:

NEW COMPLETE IGNITION DISTRIBUTOR SI EX VTEC D16Z6 OBD1 - eBay (item 160532676471 end time Apr-15-11 00:30:11 PDT)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The condition you have described sounds like spark blowout, fix this problem, and I would be willing to bet it goes away.
You mean, misfire because of spark blowout due to the fact i bought a shitty distributor? So basically. you are telling me to buy the original one?... thats what im thinking... that was what you meant? sorry english is not my first language. Ohh... and thanks for helping me.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i'd lower the gap and for god's sake get rid of those iridium plugs.

you need copper plugs in a boosted car.

try the gap down around .025, i had the same issue on my car over 12psi, had to drop the gap to .022 at 18psi....

only in higher gears aswell.

also view the logs, make sure its not spiking to boost cut.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
You mean, misfire because of spark blowout due to the fact i bought a shitty distributor? So basically. you are telling me to buy the original one?... thats what im thinking... that was what you meant? sorry english is not my first language. Ohh... and thanks for helping me.

Yes, that is what I meant.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Ya, im thinking spark blowout as well. I had similar issue where it would just fall on its face at high load ranges under full boost, solution was smaller spark gap. Also, OEM coil?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'd lower the gap and for god's sake get rid of those iridium plugs.

you need copper plugs in a boosted car.

try the gap down around .025, i had the same issue on my car over 12psi, had to drop the gap to .022 at 18psi....

only in higher gears aswell.

also view the logs, make sure its not spiking to boost cut.
.025? Well.. I will try that... now im running range 6... I really dont know how much power it will deliver in the dyno. But i guess i will buy some ngk range 7 and i will gap them to that. Thanks for the input.

^^^ x2 BKR7E gapped at .030, then progressively less gap till blowout is gone.
Did you have a similar problem? I gapped mine to .30 then 0.28... now ill try 0.25. Thanks!

Yes, that is what I meant.
Thanks again.

Ya, im thinking spark blowout as well. I had similar issue where it would just fall on its face at high load ranges under full boost, solution was smaller spark gap. Also, OEM coil?
Chinesse coil... all the distributor is chinesse. I put the link in my second post. Maybe it heats up... maybe its the gapping...

Not trying to be a dick here, and i TRULY APPRECIATE EVERYTHING YOU ARE SAYING GUYS, but if you have any more ideas let me know...

Do you think a leaking blocked fitv... (like you put your finger in the lower hole and there is a very very little suction, would cause the car to misfire in high load???? i dont think so, since a lot of air is entering the engine at that load so a minor leak will be more than compensated...

Btw... when you block your fitv... do you also modify the tb gasket? or just the bottom part of the throttle body with a block of plate.

Thanks again... my priority here, of course is the misfire, but any help will be appreciate it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
change plugs and fix that all vacuum leak. i never had spark blow out and i had my plugs gap at .030 on stock plugs, could be the disi trying to fire at higher loads over heating it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
change plugs and fix that all vacuum leak. i never had spark blow out and i had my plugs gap at .030 on stock plugs, could be the disi trying to fire at higher loads over heating it.
Well Guys, thanks for the answers...

This is what i did today:

1) Gapped my plugs at .025 just as you guys told me.
2) Fixed the vacuum leak, now i have a solid idle at 900rpm and 20inhcg.
3) Went to a street drive in the highway.... Again.. the car runs fine until you wot it... after that.. its undriveable. I stopped for 20 minutes.. and then i could drive slowly...

So.. Again, this is my theory... The chinesse distributor works... but.. as soon as you wot it.. it overheats.. causing the misfires... once it does it.. it will keep doing it everytime, not just at wot until i let it cool down... then it will drive fine... unless i wot it, and then all happens again....

What do you guys think?

Thanks again for everything.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, i know i know... the thing is in my country they are like 1000 dollars new.. yep, you've read right.. and in USA i can get it new for likr 450 from hondapartdeal plus taxes plus shipping, and it will be a pain in the ass if that doesnt fix the problem... my customer will kill me... but oh well.. the car didnt even start up.. besides... and just like you... im positive the problem is in the dizzy.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
You could try to get an OEM Honda ignitor and coil or one form an OEM supplier. Those are the two pieces that are most likely to cause headaches.

Hell even a good used OEM distributor would be better than the Chinese hunk of crap. Do you not have access to another distributor to try out?

Over here we have distributors that sell parts for cars that are from the suppliers for various OEMs.

Dunno what you guys have for parts availability in your country.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
a NEW dizzy from "o'reilly's" cost 199.99 WITH a lifetime warrenty. order one online and have it sent to you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You could try to get an OEM Honda ignitor and coil or one form an OEM supplier. Those are the two pieces that are most likely to cause headaches.

Hell even a good used OEM distributor would be better than the Chinese hunk of crap. Do you not have access to another distributor to try out?

Over here we have distributors that sell parts for cars that are from the suppliers for various OEMs.

Dunno what you guys have for parts availability in your country.
As replacement parts, we have the same ebay junk ive bought at the price of you guys have the new oem parts... so its impossible... I dont have anyone to borrow one... Ill make some calls though. Now that i checked the link were i bought that dizzy (aip electronic or something) they have another distributor that says "exceed oem specifications" So the one i bought was even weaker than this other product they sell... obviously is all a crap.

a NEW dizzy from "o'reilly's" cost 199.99 WITH a lifetime warrenty. order one online and have it sent to you.
Thanks for that tip, ill definitly check it. Are those dizzys the same as buying a new one from honda? I mean, besides the warranty.. remember this is a 300whp+ car...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good news!!! Amazingly!!! a friend of mine is willing to remove his dizzy from his own d16 hatch to lend it to me, just to try!!! so on monday ill check it out and i will update this thread!!!! THANKS!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
good luck hope its the dizzy cause that would be an easy fix my dizzy was loose check your dizzy rotor see if its loose
Thanks man! The rotor is fine. But im preety sure its the dizzy ( i mean, some electronic part)... If this fixes the problem, i will end the car soon. Ill keep you guys updated. Thanks a lot.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts