Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to start removing my motor to send it off for rebuilt, but im trying to figure out why it over heats, temp gauge doesnt show it over heat, temp gauge shows it warm up to proper work order. Fan doesnt kick on but if I jump the temp sensor, the Fan kicks on indicating that my fan relay works.. I also have a blown head gasket

·
Registered
ek hatch
73 Posts
Faulty temp sensor.and if you have a blown headgasket dont run the motor until its fixed ,thats how heads get warped and more damage happens.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I know but wouldnt it show it on the twmo gauge
Yes and no.

If you burn all the coolant the. It wil cause the gasket to jump up.
If your just burnin a bit ot want show overheating for a while.

Either way. Dont drive the car with a mess up headgasket.
And do the workflow chart for testing the temp gauge.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
What in the absolute fuck?

"my motor is overheating, what can it be? BTW have a blown headgasket and bad temp sensor"

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Most temp sensors and/or senders need to be submerged to work so extra low coolant levels will not allow it to read the water temp.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,382 Posts
What in the absolute fuck?

"my motor is overheating, what can it be? BTW have a blown headgasket and bad temp sensor"

remember, you cant use logic here. itll only make your face hurt and the idiots more confused.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Most temp sensors and/or senders need to be submerged to work so extra low coolant levels will not allow it to read the water temp.
X2! this happened to me with an old pickup I had. kept boiling the coolant but gauge showed normal unless I topped it off after it cooled a little.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm trying to teach my self ohms law, to check if I'm getting the right amperes going to the temp sensor.. Ohms is kinda fuckin confusing me tho..

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
why are you waiting? the motor will need a rebuild anyways, and the temp sensor is $4 or so on ebay.

while you are at it, spend the $5-6 for a fan switch as well.

the sensors are the single pin under the distributor, and the 2 or 3 pin on the thermostat housing. Use teflon tape and wrap the threads 2 times or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
why are you waiting? the motor will need a rebuild anyways, and the temp sensor is $4 or so on ebay.

while you are at it, spend the $5-6 for a fan switch as well.

the sensors are the single pin under the distributor, and the 2 or 3 pin on the thermostat housing. Use teflon tape and wrap the threads 2 times or so.
i open her up , she looks pretty good. ama do the head gasket kit and a timing kit.. call it a day

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,382 Posts
no? you can always reset it when you put the head back on, just make sure none of the pistons are tdc when you do. then adjust number 1 to tdc and add belt..

seriously,

1) google
2) type in year, make, model
3) after step 2, add the words "factory service manual"
4) find link
5) click link
6) read
7) follow manual
8) read
9) repeat

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
lol @ opening up motor, looking at it, and thinking its good.

A motor needs tools to tell if its good or bad. not a "visual"

No guessing here. its a car that takes you to work and whatnot. Put some love into it or it will fail down the road

1 - 18 of 18 Posts