Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a underdrive pulley (crank) and being that i dont have a/c do you think it would be worth the extra hour at work putting it on the lathe and taking the middle rung out and re-balancing it. it weighs 1.3lbs (btw what is the stock weight on the pulley) and i was also thinking if i decide in the next week or so when i drop my motor, not to re-install my ps pump, to just go ahead and take that out as well since im taking out the a/c rung.....what do you guys think.....any noticalbe gains compared to stock puley, underdrive by itself, underdrive with a/c machined or underdrive with a/c and ps machined.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
risky business man. if you do it, be careful. i would just buy a single belt pulley if that is the route you want to go.

ryan

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
KABOOM..........

Cadillac decided not to use a rubber damper on their motors......

they bolted a 15 POUND weight to the crank instead.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well enought said im not going to do it. thanks for the info...was just an idea

thanks guys

·
Registered
681 Posts
KABOOM..........

Cadillac decided not to use a rubber damper on their motors......

they bolted a 15 POUND weight to the crank instead.
arnt their some d series engine that have solid pulleys on them pulled one of a del sol in a junk yard to put on mine and it was solid didn't last 3 months before it sheared the bolt of while i was 20 miles from home with out my cell long story short i have a new engine and one to build :) oh btw the new engine had one with rubber on it

·
Registered
11 Posts
ok sence were on the subject of the underdrive pulley im stuck bad and am seeking advise once agin. ok, i need to know how the hrll to get mine off. i have used a air copressor that went up to 145psi,and tryed prying it off with a 1/4 wratchet and all that happend was my freeking extention snaped in half lol and the bolt still didnt come loose
so if anyone have some great ideas id really apreciate it alot if youall could help me out thanks, justin

·
Registered
598 Posts
ok sence were on the subject of the underdrive pulley im stuck bad and am seeking advise once agin. ok, i need to know how the hrll to get mine off. i have used a air copressor that went up to 145psi,and tryed prying it off with a 1/4 wratchet and all that happend was my freeking extention snaped in half lol and the bolt still didnt come loose
so if anyone have some great ideas id really apreciate it alot if youall could help me out thanks, justin

Well if you used a 1/4 ratchet its hardly suprising....:noway: Im guessing thats a typo though.... i hope.

Anyway, i ended up using a 3/4 bar with a 6ft scaffold pole over the end of it. That bolt was not match for it then! Its all about leverage.

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
I just went through the same thing here's what it took to get mine off. I had to soak the bolt in PB Blaster like 4 times. I mean SOAK the bitch!!! Thes last time I let it sit over night, then I hit it after like 12 hours with an impact gun at full power. Came loose no problem. Check the thread out to see all the other shit I tried that didn't work.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59525

·
Banned
12 Posts
Yes, I've had a very rough time both times I had to get the crank pulley off. We even sent an air gun to over 200psi and it still wouldn't come off. To make an agonizingly long evening's story short, the crucial thing wasn't the applied torque: it was the rigid immobilization of the crank! The factory service manuals, which say to take the cover off the cluth cover and jam teeth into the starter gear with a large screwdriver, isn't outright wrong, but it's just inadequate: the crank itself has too much flex in it for that to work.

We ended up jamming a drift through a hole in the pulley to the boundary between the block and oil pan (can't remember if stock pulley had a hole or we had to drill one!), then putting the outboard (big) end of the drift on a separate jackstand. *THEN* the air gun blast finally met resistance solid enough, and it worked immediately.

Needless to say, we learned our lession, and have used copper Anti-Seize goo in that bolt ever since (both the bolt hreads AND its shoulder).

·
Banned
12 Posts
Whoops! Forgot the initial reason I wanted to post (what a dork)...
I've always wondered why the pulley manufacturers (such as Tru-Power) only offer a triple-pulley part, and don't offer single and dual pulley versions: anybody really serious about cutting power losses deleted their power steering a long time ago.

·
Registered
72 Posts
get a torch (or something that makes a good flame) and heat the bolt till it glows read, throw a cup of water on it, and zap it off with a gun.

gotta be quick or it wont work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yah thanks everyone i got it off lol yah it was a typo i was useing a bigger wrentch anyways i got it off and my cars running great ive put 20 miles on her now woohoo lol.thanks all and yah air guns just wont work ill aggre with yah man i had to use some brute force to break the bolt loose.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
I bought a $20 ebay underdrive. Milled the two outside rings off, bascially like what you thought of.

Definetly revs quicker (d15b2), really couldn't tell you if it actually did anything as the gain would be so minute you would probably need an engine dyno to measure it.

that was roughly 30,000 miles ago and no problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts