Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, OBD1 is going to be your best option, *IF* you choose not to use the AFC, and go ECU tuning.

If you are hard-pressed to stay OBD2, you still have two options, expensive Hondata reflash, or the AFC hack. I have personally run the AFC hack on a Y7/Y8 mini reliably for 8 months. Boost transistion is smooth, yes it advances timing, but you can compensate with a static retard at the distributor.

Now, if you were to convert to OBD1, and say run Hondata (Blah) or Uberdata, you would not only get full tunability of your fuel and ignition maps, you would also get extra features like launch control, shift light, blah, blah, blah.. definately worth the effort.

Really depends on your budget. Both are reliable. Both have thier pros, and cons..

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
TurboEF9 said:
Now, if you were to convert to OBD1, and say run Hondata (Blah) or Uberdata, you would not only get full tunability of your fuel and ignition maps, you would also get extra features like launch control, shift light, blah, blah, blah.. definately worth the effort.
After finding out that the county I live in does not require emissions testing, and a few conversations with Uberdata users, I have decided to go with uberdata

·
I used to be Admin.....
763 Posts
Not sure wtf happened, but here is my original post:

Im weighing my options for a turbo system for my 97 EX. Im for sure going to go with a homemade setup. All stock internals on my y8, so Im keeping the boost @ 10psi and below. The only thing really puzzling me is the tuning aspect. I have seen many people convert to obd1, but is that necessary? Im looking for the easiest and most inexpensive (not sure if those belong in the same sentence) way to get this thing streetable. I know if I convert to obd1 I can run a resistor box with some DSM 450's and use Hondata, but I would prefer to stay obd2 if possible. What are my options? Beerbong.....??

I am more or less trying to price this out so i can see how much in debt it will put me.

Mods plz keep this in the FI forum if you dont mind. Thx.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty much what TurboEF9 said. I vote for converting to obd1 and going with uberdata. This will require a little more effort and research than just wiring up an afc hack, but I think you will be happier with uberdata.

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
why stay obdII ? what advantages does that give ? just trying to figure out why you want to stay obdII ? ... fuck OBDII .. it causes nothing but trouble .. Deck .. you live in Cali. right ? for obdI requires one less 02 sensor .. and if your having problems , they can pass you and not have to " report " it to anyone .. less harsh smog penalties when it comes to obdI ... obdII smog checks they have to report to the government .. obdI can be an " under the table " kinda thing .. which is VERY good if you plan on going turbo .. cause if they send you to a somg ref. and he sees the turbo on the obdII car .. :? and besides the easier smog pass ( which us Cali folk have to live with ) your options also increase in the ECU/tuning category ..... again .. im not trying to argue with you .. just tryin to understand why you want to stay obdII ?

·
I used to be Admin.....
763 Posts
I dont have a DESIRE to stay obd2 for any reason. It just seemed cheaper and easier. I guess going turbo isnt something you really want to skimp on. I'll have to really read about Uberdata because I have never tuned a car before. But if its free.....shit, I'll try it.

Here's how I see it:
obd2--->obd1 harness
p28 (chipped or not chipped)
Resistor box
DSM 450's
Uberdata
FPR
Higher volume fuel pump

Is that it as far as tuning goes?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been using my stock FPR and I don't plan on getting another one. I have also been using my stock fuel pump, but I do have a walbro 255lph I just haven't installed it yet. It would be a good idea to get a burner so you can make changes to your ROMs without having to rely on somebody else doing this for you. I am using a batronix burner and they can be had for $75 to $125. A wideband o2 is always a good idea, but not necessary (I don't have one yet, but plan on getting one soon to tune my part throttle).

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
you can cut down on costs by getting a p06 or other obd1 ecu and converting it to run Vtec. just takes a few electronic parts that can be purchased with a few dollars and some soldering skills. i learned all this at pgmfi.org... you will have to solder components anyways when you chip the ecu.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there anything out there for the PG6 ECU?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PGs get no love..

Red, I didn't ignore your PM.. I'm trying to figure something out for you. .You're like the 5th person that has asked me about it, and I don't have a good answer yet.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TurboEF9 said:
PGs get no love..

Red, I didn't ignore your PM.. I'm trying to figure something out for you. .You're like the 5th person that has asked me about it, and I don't have a good answer yet.
Oh, thanks. What I'm down to is trying to mate a GM 3bar and my S-AFC into a tame animal. :shock:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya.. I've had numerous people trying to get 3bar to work with AFCs and it's just a huge cluster [email protected]#$. The MAP sensor input gets so muddled that it never actually tunes itself out.

Have you tried that "Convert to PM6" idea? I hadn't heard of it, but then again, I don't have a lot of experience with 1st gens.

·
No more Honda's :-(
3,223 Posts
beerbongskickass said:
I have been using my stock FPR and I don't plan on getting another one. I have also been using my stock fuel pump, but I do have a walbro 255lph I just haven't installed it yet. It would be a good idea to get a burner so you can make changes to your ROMs without having to rely on somebody else doing this for you. I am using a batronix burner and they can be had for $75 to $125. A wideband o2 is always a good idea, but not necessary (I don't have one yet, but plan on getting one soon to tune my part throttle).
is there a burner that can program both 28 and 32 pin roms?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts