Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I bought a set of coilovers and I didn't realize I had to use my oem tophat from my oem struts. When I tried removing them the bolts they were seized and the whole strut was turning as I tried loosening the bolts. My question is, if anyone's using tein street advanced coilovers would an aftermarket extended top hat work just as well as oem? For example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
The nuts likely aren't seized. Take a look at the top of the threaded part there should be a couple of flat spots where you can get a wrench or a vice on to hold that part of the strut still so it won't spin.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Also if you are throwing the old struts away, you can use vice grips to clamp the rod
Only do this if you never pan to use the shocks again. The vice grips with marr the surface of the shock piston, which will tear up seals, and cause oil to leak out. It wont work for very long after you mark the nice chrome surface.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up buying some mounts online off of autozone since they had a sale. I didn't want to ruin the oem struts in case I do ever need them again. Also I have to go to the junkyard to get a new fork for the passenger side.. when I was taking it apart the bolt head snapped off. so I'm just gonna go to the junkyard and find a replacement for it. Kinda pissed the Tein don't really come with any hardware at all but oh well. I should've paid close attention to the details when I ordered them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was planning on buying new LCAs and subframe brace for the rear. Then installing them when I install the coils but i don't really want to wait any longer to install the coils. Hopefully everything goes okay. Gonna install them this upcoming week. Maybe I'll order the LCAs, might even arrive this week we'll see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts