Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have. 94 dx hatch with disc all the way around. I recently bought front pads for it and it ended up needing pads for a gsr. I ordered them for a 98 gsr 2dr an that went well and I am having no problems. Anyways on to my questions. I read up on the rear disk set up and I believe my hatch has rear disk conversion from a 98 gsr as well... Is that even possible? And also how do I know if it has the right proportioning valve and correct master cylinder? Any have any part numbers or casting codes I could look for to identify what exactly I have on this hatch? Any help woul be appreciated greatly

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
yes you could put gsr rear disk on your hatch...on the side of the master cylinder it should say 13/16 15/16 7/8 or 1 inch... on the side in the middle of the proportioning valve should say something like 30/30 or 40/40..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes you could put gsr rear disk on your hatch...on the side of the master cylinder it should say 13/16 15/16 7/8 or 1 inch... on the side in the middle of the proportioning valve should say something like 30/30 or 40/40..

Ok which master cylinder is correct for the gsr brakes All the way Round? Obviously it's the bore size and which prop valve is correct for this setup?

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
either 15/16" or 1" MC will work, but remember you'll need the brake booster and master cylinder together. I'm not 100% sure but you will probably have to re-flare and/or bend some lines to get either to work so make sure you get the flare nuts on your BB/MC. As for the prop valve, you'd need a 40/40 Teg prop valve. IIRC you can get it off of any 94-01 Teg w/o ABS or even use a 96-00 Civic DX/Si (which will definitely require bending lines) and again, you'll probably need to re-flare/bend some lines so again, make sure you get a prop valve w/ nuts. You might as well do them both at once so you can pump in new fluid and bleed your brakes just one time instead of twice.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Ok which master cylinder is correct for the gsr brakes All the way Round? Obviously it's the bore size and which prop valve is correct for this setup?
either 15/16" or 1" MC will work, but remember you'll need the brake booster and master cylinder together. I'm not 100% sure but you will probably have to re-flare and/or bend some lines to get either to work so make sure you get the flare nuts on your BB/MC. As for the prop valve, you'd need a 40/40 Teg prop valve. IIRC you can get it off of any 94-01 Teg w/o ABS or even use a 96-00 Civic DX/Si (which will definitely require bending lines) and again, you'll probably need to re-flare/bend some lines so again, make sure you get a prop valve w/ nuts. You might as well do them both at once so you can pump in new fluid and bleed your brakes just one time instead of twice.
^this

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 15/16 mc. And I have a 30/30 prop valve. Btw I'm not doing this work this is what is on the cAr now.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
I have 15/16 mc. And I have a 30/30 prop valve. Btw I'm not doing this work this is what is on the cAr now.
you should be good then...i have the same set up on my car and it works grate...i all so have steel braided brake lines too...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What does this 4040 do that the 3030 doesn't do?? Confused. So as far I know now my mc is good but may need to change the prop valve

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have goodridge ss brake lines all the way Around As well.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
What does this 4040 do that the 3030 doesn't do?? Confused. So as far I know now my mc is good but may need to change the prop valve
The numbers refer to the braking force the front and rear brakes will get but IIRC it's just an arbitrary number. The true amount of braking force depends on the MC/BB that you are using. If you can lock up your rears before your fronts (and you probably can) then switch to a 4040, which is what the GSR came with

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
They're just "numbers". There's no "/" in the numbers yet people put them in which makes it seem like it's the bias ratio(considering there's also a 3040 prop valve, we can safely assume that it does not describe the bias ratio). It may have something to do with orifice size/plunger and spring. I don't know if anyone has measured the actual ratios and knee points but a race shop should be able to(pressure gauges on the F and R ports). I mean, it's possible that the ratios are similar but the knee point is different.

For master cylinders and brake boosters there's quite a few combos you can use; but, ignoring booster size, smaller MCs can exert more force onto the braking system while larger MCs help with pedal feel/modulation.

·
I also have a cool title
3,124 Posts
4040 sends less fluid to the brakes than a 3030. you can lock up the brakes faster with a 3030 than a 4040. In the EJ8 EX they come with 4030 because the drums in the rear need more fluid to stop than rear disk brakes.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
When it comes to Integra front brakes there is only 3 pad designs 94-97 p/n 45022-ST7-020, 98-01 p/n 45022-ST7-405 and 97-01 Type R p/n 45022-ST7-R02.

The 92-95 Civic w/ABS front pads are the same as 94-97 p/n 45022-ST7-020 down to the same p/n(the whole set up is the same). 92-95 non-ABS Ex/Si don't use the same designed pads but still use 262mm rotors as all the tegs(except ITR 282mm).

Integra rear brakes have 3 pad designs 94-97 p/n 43022-SR2-030, 98-01 p/n 43022-SR3-506, 97-01 Type R p/n 43022-S84-A50. P/N 43022-SR2-030 and 43022-SR3-506 interchange with each other and with 92-95 rear pad p/n 43022-SR3-030. They all have 240mm rotors(except ITR 260mm).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Uh my front rotors are massive compared to a oem civic rotor.... Soooo... I understand the pads interchange but why would my hatch have integr gsr front brake setup if it were no different than a oem civic rotor size. I remember on my 92 vx that I out a h22 in it had little tiny bAby sized rotors on the front. ???? Confused

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Not all Civics have the same rotor size. The EXs and the Si's have 10.3" rotors like the Integras. IIRC the CRX HF has even smaller/thinner rotors.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My hatch is a dx so I'm assuming it had baby rotors on it to begin with and drums on the back. It currently has 98 gsr brakes all the way Around. So my front rotors are the same as a ex or si 92 95? I don't see how ej/egs even though as far as I know usdm hatches are actually eh2's, why would gsrs have the same size brakes? You'd think the tegs would have bigger brAkes. And my rear wheels don't lock up unless I yank the ebrake. If you brake really hard the front will lock up a bit

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Even the 90-91 Civic EXs had 10.3" brakes. The ITRs(and CTR) have bigger brakes, that's about it. There was really no need for bigger brakes on the Integras over the higher-end Civics.

Rear wheels aren't supposed to lock up(at least not first). Stock systems are designed to lock the front first because it's just much safer(rear locking up first could cause the car to spin).

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
rotors from the si/ex are the same as the integra but their calipers are a bit smaller the the integras hence why you get better braking power.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
rotors from the si/ex are the same as the integra but their calipers are a bit smaller the the integras hence why you get better braking power.

All most true, 92-95 Ex/Si w/ABS p/n for caliber (right)06452-ST7-505RM (left)06453-ST7-505RM. 94-01 Integra(except ITR) (right)06452-ST7-505RM (left)06453-ST7-505RM. RM in the part number means its re-manufactured instead of NOS.

The 92-95 Ex non-ABS have a slightly smaller piston(less then 2mm smaller) vs. the ABS models but still a 262mm rotor. The 92 Si was four wheel disk but DID NOT have ABS, it still had the same calibers as the Integra and a 15/16th master.

Integra's have better braking because the ABS models have a 1" inch master, and non-ABS have 15/16th of an inch master. Civic's with ABS have a 15/16th master, and non-ABS have a 13/16th master.

In the 95 model year they ran out stock so some non-ABS Ex's have a 15/16th master and ABS calibers.

92-95 Vx/Cx/Dx/Lx non-ABS rotor size is 240mm

Reactions: Sammo115
1 - 19 of 19 Posts