Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i just got my oil line in and was wondering if i had to use teflon tape on the threads or not? plz help me...

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
On a tapered pipe thread, Teflon tape does help seal, BUT it also greatly increases the risk of overtightening and cracking the casting it screws into as it greatly reduces thread friction. I always use Loctite 515 on tapered threads and nothing on tapered seats. If a tapered seat leaks you can sometimes fix it with valve grinding paste to lap the two faces to each other, but that is a time consuming long shot. Just make sure the seating faces are clean and not damaged and it should not leak.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Green or blue Loctite on npt. Also you can get a better sealing tape at places like tractor supply. It is yellow in color and is more resistant to oils and gasoline than regular plumbing Teflon tape. I believe it is made for natural gas pipes and is a pvc material.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
The yellow tape is for LPG.

It is still Teflon, just a better grade. It is what they call skived tape whereas the white is extruded. It most certainly is not PVC as PVC is very soft at about 90 deg C or about 190F

To extrude teflon they heat up a pates of Teflon powder and squeeze it together between rollers. The powder only bonds so well at those temps and pressures.

The skived tape is compression moulded into a big bar shape at much higher temperatures and pressures so it is really well fused or bonded then skived off like they make veneer from logs of wood. It is much more substantial in its structure.

Loctite 515 is a red syrup like compound like rasberry jam (rasberry jelly to the Yanks I think) and it is a lot tougher and more flexible than thread lock and is a more durable seal. It is described as a gasket material.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I believe it is made for natural gas pipes and is a pvc material.
The yellow tape is for LPG.

It is still Teflon, just a better grade. It is what they call skived tape whereas the white is extruded. It most certainly is not PVC as PVC is very soft at about 90 deg C or about 190F
I stand corrected. It's not pvc it's Teflon.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
I had a bit of a head start. I worked for about 10 years in market development and teck support for the ICI and one of my main products was PTFE which is what Teflon is.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
pipe dope, in a stick form.

Used on black pipe, but also works well on cars as well.

Dad was a gas servicemen, I have like 40-50 stick of this stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts