Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im pretty sure ive spun my rod bearings in my y8 (so everyone tells me thats what ive done) so ive bought a z6 and got it into the car but dont have any luck on getting it to run. ive done jus about everything i know to get it to run but no luck. so in turn im thinkin about tearing down my y8 and seeing if its salvageable. and i have a couple questions on it.

first thing is when i start into this does the head come apart from the block so i dont have to worry about all the valve springs and makin sure theyre tightened down to spec when i put the motor back together. not sure if this is even how it comes apart.

second if my block is trashed can i swap the y8 head onto the z6 block. if i do this what will i need to get it to work properly. and would it be worth the money to rebuild the z6 block.

any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2001 TL1000R
509 Posts
just buy a reman'd z6 crank(fits like stock y8 just without as bad of oiling issues)- comes with bearings and install-that way if your y8 block is trashed(prob. not IF its just a spun bearing) u can use that crank in the z6 block- unless you plan on spending a good ammount of money to have someone knowledgeable to tune your car i'd fix the y8 and keep it all the same...ie y8 head with y8 block and/or z6 head,block

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im pretty sure its trashed since my wonderful father in law asked me to drive it about 50 miles to where he could pick it up and look at it and almost made it till about 5 miles away and im pretty sure i ruined it pretty good. anyways is it hard to replace the crank? also im almost positive the pistons and all that is garbage. so what would be a good fix for that. im gonna start into it tonight and see what i can find out.

again does anyone know if when i pull the topend off if it comes off in one piece or do i have to pull all the valves and that apart.

·
Registered
98 honda civic LX
1,765 Posts
i would suggest having somebody there that knows what their doing helping you and making sure you know what your looking at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would suggest having somebody there that knows what their doing helping you and making sure you know what your looking at.
im pretty sure i can handle it. i just swapped the y8 out for the z6 and changed all my obd2 to obd1. i just dont wanna have to do more work then i need to. like pullin all my valves and springs. unless its a good idea to do all that. so please i would like some actual help. and you cant learn anything about your car unless you do it yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and i dont have the luxury of havin honda gurus living by me. im out in the boon docks of montana. so i cant jus go to the a honda shop and ask for help. so again i have to learn it myself.

·
Registered
2001 TL1000R
509 Posts
no need to remove cam or spring in the head- honestly no need to remove the head @ all to do the bottom end- put the engine on a engine stand drain all fluids then turn it upsidedown and start taking off bolts- oil pan, girdle oil pump, rods then crank...may have missed a thing or two there but you get the picture...if your worried about missing something allong the way take pictures of the process before removing each part and use them as a reference- i recomend a reman'd z6 crank with bearings and new oem oil pump(port/shim) if you want... check all clearences and if you run into a snag don't be scared to ask the d-series community, they've always been helpfull for me!(do yourself a favor tho and become best friends with the forum search before you ask a simple question):dots:
good luck and hope it works out for you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts