Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided with a bit of help from my buddy's to put together a 24hr of LeMons car so we could have fun building something for dirt cheap, do whatever we want without worry. Oh and did I mention cheap!

After some searching a fellow Honda racer posted this EJ1 one up for sale on Facebook, I had already had another EJ1 sitting in my garage that I had purchased for $300 up in Oshkosh, WI. However after looking at the pictures of this other EJ1 I had to pull the trigger on it. So I contacted my bud and asked what he wanted for it, he said he'd take $150 that week or an EM1 driver side door for his SCCA STL car knowing I also raced an EM1. Well I didn't have a spare door laying around, but a quick search I found one that also color matched his car. Bought the door from a guy up in West Bend, WI for $50! After dropping the door off to King Motorsports, which happens to be where he has his race car serviced. I hauled ass in my brother's truck with my trailer in tow, to his house about 30 minutes south of Detroit, MI!

Upon arriving I find this gem sitting in his driveway. Louisiana car with little to no rust at all! RARE I KNOW!!! Cleanest EJ1 I had seen yet online for sale!

My buddy and I loaded it up and started the 4 hour trek back to Red Mist Automotive, my sponsor in Gilberts, IL. We unloaded the car and put it on the lift to see what we were working with. Shocked to see just how clean this car was! So the team arrived and we got right to work gutting the car!

Moldy seats had to go!

In about 30 minutes the car was completely gutted minus the dash which we decided to leave in for now.

That was when one of my buddy's went to clean out the trunk and he says to all of us, "UH..... THERE IS A DEAD CAT IN THE TRUNK.....". Figuring he was yanking our chains for a laugh we all laughed and called him an idiot. Then he says, "NO I'M F*CKING SERIOUS". We all go to the trunk and sure as sh*t there was indeed a dead kitten in the trunk..... The car was stored in a warehouse before my buddy picked it up and brought it to his house. So we're guessing it was a stray and it climbed in for warmth, and just died in there. Felt bad for the damn thing so we buried it out back and that's when we decided to call our team "NO LIVES RACING".

Seriously you can't make this up......

After all that we got back to work doing whatever stupid stuff we have always wanted to do to a car, but never to any of our nice cars. So of course cut bumpers and fenders for that back yard aero look!

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mike got to work customizing the stock exhaust to side exit, because WHY THE F*CK NOT!

And this was what was left just after only a couple of hours!

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is more to come, did i mention the car came with an eBay rear wing? Well you'll all just have to wait! But there is going to be some functional ricer parts as well as some seriously cheap but easy performance handling modifications happening to this thing over the winter!

2 eBay Wings (Front and Rear Mount)
Homemade Delrin Bushings
Homemade Motor Mount Bushings
Customized OEM Shocks
and much much more!

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Let me know if you have any questions!

If I could make one suggestion at this stage in the build, make the exhaust as quiet as you can. You don't want to be hearing a loud-assed fart can exhaust for 14-24 hours at a time.

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have it pretty well figured out already, just on the hunt for cheap parts because we have approximately $450 left in the budget for this car. Had my eyes set on a new Fidanza flywheel someone was selling on Facebook for $80, however he sold it out from underneath me while I was waiting for him to send me his Paypal information.

We are doing new seals and gaskets on the D16Z6 it came with, to ensure it'll last the 2 consecutive 12 hour days. However it's a car we're just having fun with!

Been really searching for a good set of used after market shocks in order to have a reliable suspension setup. One of our team mates is busy working on trying to modify the valving on the factory shocks. It's just such a sketchy setup that we're unsure will last any real time out on track.

As for the exhaust, well not really my decision. I was just going to do a fart can off of eBay because they're cheap and within budget. But then they got out the saw-zaw and started cutting the factory exhaust up, found some chinsy tip in the shop scrap pile and started making a side exit. LOL! We'll see how the car does after testing.

This is going to be a pretty well setup car that will be within budget, and no where near as crazy as my Honda Challenge car. If it's lasts the 24hrs cool. If not, well we are going to enjoy doing the build!

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me know if you have any questions!

If I could make one suggestion at this stage in the build, make the exhaust as quiet as you can. You don't want to be hearing a loud-assed fart can exhaust for 14-24 hours at a time.
If I run into any hiccups along the build I'll let you know. What modifications really helped your team out for the races? Other than the quiet exhaust?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
simplicity, this wins so many races in chump lemons racing.

Digging the thread so far.

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah well Chump is no longer the budget minded races like it should be. I have been told by a very reliable source that cars have budgets of over $30k that are racing now days! I couldn't believe I was hearing that.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
We have it pretty well figured out already, just on the hunt for cheap parts because we have approximately $450 left in the budget for this car. Had my eyes set on a new Fidanza flywheel someone was selling on Facebook for $80, however he sold it out from underneath me while I was waiting for him to send me his Paypal information.

We are doing new seals and gaskets on the D16Z6 it came with, to ensure it'll last the 2 consecutive 12 hour days. However it's a car we're just having fun with!

Been really searching for a good set of used after market shocks in order to have a reliable suspension setup. One of our team mates is busy working on trying to modify the valving on the factory shocks. It's just such a sketchy setup that we're unsure will last any real time out on track.

As for the exhaust, well not really my decision. I was just going to do a fart can off of eBay because they're cheap and within budget. But then they got out the saw-zaw and started cutting the factory exhaust up, found some chinsy tip in the shop scrap pile and started making a side exit. LOL! We'll see how the car does after testing.
Exhaust (from the cat-back), brakes, suspension components related to safety, wheels and tires are budget exempt. (read: shocks and springs are considered performance, not safety)

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exhaust (from the cat-back), brakes, suspension components related to safety, wheels and tires are budget exempt. (read: shocks and springs are considered performance, not safety)
I am familiar with the rules and budget. That is why my buddy is modifying our stock shocks to increase valving. He tinkers with all sorts of stuff that most would be boggled by it. So he has been testing out different oils for the shocks internally to make them stiffer. He messaged us to day saying he pretty much has them valved for a 450lb spring now. He tested them out on the street with his friends civic and he said they felt pretty nice. Whether they'll hold is a whole other question!

Trying to find a good set of used shocks in today's market is very rough going. Everyone wants a fortune and the team isn't willing to use $300 of our $450 budget on them. Most of the modifications we're doing to the car have been free. Only other parts I am looking into are lightweight flywheel, possibly a clutch, and by the looks of it eBay coilover sleeves with some used Eibach springs.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
This picture made me squint. Putting a death wheel to a metal fender with no face protection, let alone anything protecting his eyes. Haha. Freakin' sweet build, man. I've got a couple local friends that are building LeMons CRX-es. I'll be following this.

·
Registered
567 Posts
i'm so in for this thread! i would love to do this some day!!

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldn't have replied the way I did if you had made that readily apparent.
Not a problem bud! The guys wanted to keep the car super cheap. We'll probably fab up something nice down the road. More focused on training the other members new to wheel to wheel to focus on pacing the car versus trying to sprint to the finish.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
...to focus on pacing the car versus trying to sprint to the finish.
That's certainly one of the hardest lessons to learn. In my experience, it has been the new guys that catch on to this concept rather quickly and the guys that have done W2W sprint racing - but are new to endurance racing - are the hardest to reel-in.

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only 2 of us on the team hold comp licenses. I'm the only one without the endurance mentality, however it should come fairly easy to me. The rest of the boys have been tracking with us for years. They may be a challenge to reel in! Haha

1 - 20 of 29 Posts