Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well in my mission to find a replacement for my sedans heart i finally managed to
grab a winner off of craigslist.
its a 93 dx coupe in the oh soo sexy color of teal.
motor is a d15b7 and sounds like the little ricer spun a bearing inside.
front passenger fender is crushed, and the bumper needs to be replaced. but the car cost me $300 so i could care less.
specs on the curbweight are 2224 lbs wich is about 300 pounds lighter than my old sedan that ran 11.4 and 127.
interior in mint with eg seats that i love soo much. interior does have a familiar sweet smell of pot which is kinda mellowing. im pretty excited and will have a few teaser pics up shortly:haha:
this coupe will see the tens.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
absolutely hated the color when i first got the car and planned on repainting it in the future. but honestly, the color is starting to grow on me lol.
id love to rip apart a rustang, or vette in a teal car.
i checked the structure and its factory strait even though there's front end damage.
anyways heres the 1st teaser picks.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks.
i will be replacing the front fender and bumper with new panels so it shouldnt look so bad when its done.
i was going to keep the hood if it where in decent condition, but its pretty dented up. so ill be throwing the cf hood on that i had on the sedan. im not too crazy about ricing this out, but im working with what i got.
rotas will be on this car as well. gold subzeros might look nice with the teal.

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
what does a spun bearing sound like... (at it's beginning and at it's near-end?)

Reactions: drunkinmaster1

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bang bang bang bang bang bang.....turn off the car and it goes
rattle rattle rattle

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
body damage = sleeper :wink:
rofl.
how can i go from my sedan to body damage?
im thinking of flat black trunk pinstriped with ''RAT ROD'' spray painted on it.
??????????????

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
So, when are you going to have the engine swapped in? I want vids. :hyper::hyper:

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, when are you going to have the engine swapped in? I want vids. :hyper::hyper:
right now im working on a few cosmetic things...tail lights, ripping the fender and bumper off, fitting the hood..etc.
ive been busy at work lately.
when the timing is just about right, Ryan is going to come over and help me with
one of his cherry pickers.
You got to understand that Ryan is a very busy guy as well working long late hours.
but ill definitly keep you guys posted.

one update about the condition of the teals car motor.
last week i actually had time to take a peek under the hood and laughed my ass off.
i remember that the kid told me that the car sounded like shit like he had spun a bearing and the motor was about the give up. he also told me that it wouldn't run that long before dying off.
i ran the car and indeed it sounded like a banging rattling sound.
anyways i found out that the crankshaft pully was all loose and wobbly, the belt to the alternator was gone ....rofl.
motor is fine.
and with cheap d15b7 rods comming soon, itll make for a nice little 300 hp build;)

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hahaha.
that would. but the motor has been sitting in hibernation for a good 6 months.
granted i have started it up with no problems once a month.
but i want to do a light break-inn with a few heat cycles just to make sure things are safe. injectors might have some deposits. i might run a tank of race gas just to make sure things are CLEAN inside.
im going with a newer exhaust settup as well. and its going to be 3''

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SMALL UPDATE

i managed to snap a few pics of the progress just to let you know things are at this point.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
i started by changing the taillights to the ones from the sedan. all red and not busted like the ones on the coupe.

then i did the tach swap. tanks for the info guys. swapped the mileage as well

heres how my garage looks right at this moment. my wife has a hell of alot of patience for letting me take up the whole garage with my car fetish. the garage is insulated. so instead of her having a nice warm car in the morning, we have 2 cars that dont quite run.

and this is why the kid thought he spun a bearing, the crankshaft pully was all loose and wobbly. the alternator is to the right and as you can see there isnt a belt between the 2. easy fix

hmmmm, this is what i noticed this afternoon. looks like a normal d15b7 right?
WRONG!
1st thing i noticed this evening was that the intake manifold looked a hell of alot like the z6 manifold on my sedan.

then i realized that it was. the block ( and hopefully transmission as well ) is a d16z6....LOL
looks like he mated it with either a d15b7 or d16a6 head, pretty much the same thing. not bad for $300

bent fender ripped off the side.

eg seats ftw. best seats for the money.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
transmission is stamped A000 so that means dx tranny:( oh well.

today i made myself productive and worked on a few things.

thats right kids, its fuel pump time.
with the carpet fulled back its time to rock and roll.

heres a little comparison between oem and the walbro unit.

i found some Mardi Gras beads and a quarter underneath the sedans seats.
YESSS!!! :eek:

im thinking those are jdm beads so im going to place them under the coupe's rear seat. maybe itll add 10 hp

other things that i accomplished today.
swapped the ecu,
wired for boost and oil pressure gauges,
and disconnected a majority of the wiring for the coupes motor.

ill have more done tomorrow:alky:

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got a bit more done today.
Being that it was a lazy Sunday, i didn't get quite as much done as last time.

i started by disconnecting all the wires and plugs to the vitara motor.
followed by installing the vacuum tee in the brake booster line.

next mission was to install the Motorola 2.5 bar map sensor. heres after i soldered the wires.

and shrink wrap the wires

today we got a few inches of snow and sleet. people really dont know how to drive in snow out here.

i know that the engine bay is pretty dirty. but trust me, give me an old toothbrush and some simple green and you'll be able to eat off of it when im done. please bear with the filth for now.

im thinking of giving this car a more sleeper/rat-racer look rather than the sedans quite obvious boosted look.
the only giveaway will be the sound of the ssqv. it will be lowered just like the sedan with the kyb agx struts, and skunk 2 coilovers. expect the rota subzero's to be on it as well.
bumper might end up being flat black.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I drained all the fluids tonight on both cars. Pretty much all the hoses and wires to both motors are disconnected.
Im tempted to pull some axles before Ryan comes with his cherry picker.
I have a busy work week so we'll see.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ryan was cool enough to swing by with his cherry picker.
the help was very much needed. heres some starting with last weekend.

Ryan with his dirty mug shot

when we finally got the linkage and a ew other hoses and wires out of the way, it was time to yank out the z6 from the teal coupe and the vitara motor from the sedan.

with the z6 out of the way it was finally time for the transplant.
dropping the vitara motor inn was surprisingly easier than when we pulled either of the motors out.

and the sedan as she sits right now without any motor. parts are scattered throughout my garage making it an obstacle course.

after this point it was time chill out for the evening. Both Ryan and I were beat by the end of the day.
we pulled 2 motors, and dropped one in. plus we ran to sears at the mall for a socket. i forgot about the holiday rush.
i brought my plumbing van and parked where the mall utility vehicles usually park acting like we had a leaky toilet to fix.

now it was time to wire up the v-tak up.
i started by grabbing one of the ecu plugs from the sedan to rob the pins.

lift open the tabs on the top and bottom.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and use a tiny screw driver to wiggle the pin loose from the other side while you pull the pin loose. it takes a bit of time but eventually will work out.

viola! you have 2 pins that you can use for your ecu plug

heres where i screwd up though. the pinouts that are needed are for a4 and d6. well d6 has a smaller pin than the ones that i pulled. so i had to go etract a smaller pin from the d- plug.

the smaller pins where alot harder to pull out than the larger pins. so i got out my harbor freight pin extractor.

you can see the pin size difference

1 - 20 of 180 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.