Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the n00bish question, I looked and saw Dog's thread in the archive, but the link has been taken down off of it and there's not much else I could find lol. I've got the crank pulley set where the white mark is in between the V in the pointer and the #1 piston is up as far as it will go (It should be #1, it's the one closest to the timing belt). Is this going to be tdc? I have to put a head gasket on the civic and I'm paranoid about not getting the timing belt back on right, I fig if it's at tdc it's going to be even harder for me to fuck something up :lol:.

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
ya that would be at tdc just have to have the cam gear up and your set

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Guys :TU:, rep all around, but I do have one question, I have an aftermarket cam gear, so the marks don't line up right. I haven't pulled the belt off yet, just been breaking everything else down, going to finish it up tom after work, I hope :lol:

·
Registered
787 Posts
good luck bro tell us how it went

·
Registered
same as above
1,084 Posts
wow m glad i used my search button i was just gonna ask this

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
thanks Guys :TU:, rep all around, but I do have one question, I have an aftermarket cam gear, so the marks don't line up right. I haven't pulled the belt off yet, just been breaking everything else down, going to finish it up tom after work, I hope :lol:
TDC for the head would be cyl 1 &4 closed, with the cam mostly upright, instead of upside down, i think.

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
if it's an aem cam gear, im pretty sure it still has the mark at 7oclock
TDC for the head would be cyl 1 &4 closed, with the cam mostly upright, instead of upside down, i think.
this is true... but when he takes the timing belt off, he can rotate the cam as needed... he has the head taken off anyways.

if crank is tdc, and the camgear is upside down, then distributor is pointing at cyl4

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it's a jackson racing cam gear, it has 2 lines on it that are going horizontal on the gear, there aren't any marks around 7 o'clock on it. I think that line has to be perpendicular with the Vc.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
i think you mean parrallel.

how about this. before you pull the timing belt off. put the crank mark to TDC then look at the cam and see where it is. take a picture to be sure you remember. then you just slip the belt off and pull the head and put it back together. you dont have to adjust anything. Unless you have to pull the cam to get the head resurfaced.
when putting it back in time, be sure to pull the slack out of the front side of the belt before tightening the tensioner

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think you mean parrallel.

how about this. before you pull the timing belt off. put the crank mark to TDC then look at the cam and see where it is. take a picture to be sure you remember. then you just slip the belt off and pull the head and put it back together. you dont have to adjust anything. Unless you have to pull the cam to get the head resurfaced.
when putting it back in time, be sure to pull the slack out of the front side of the belt before tightening the tensioner
yeah, that's what I meant lol. i'm typing on a pda while i'm in a training class and this crazy thing just starts putting words on here lol. I don't plan on taking the belt all the way off, i'm just going to slide it off the cam gear if I can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts