Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats up all. Recently I have been dialing in my fueling on my vitara build @ 21.6 psi. So I decided, What the hell, I need to look at the flow charts, because most say I will be blowing hot air at that psi on that small turbo. However the flow charts say that I can achieve my desired psi AND still maintain 70% efficiency, HOWEVER, Im unsure how to tell what part of the 21.6 psi line im hitting. ie, am I WAY out like I think or not?.... anyways here it is. I kinda think a larger turbo might help.

Red line is peak boost = 21.6 Psi @ 2.45 PR
Light blue is spool time
Green line is surge limit
Dark red line is what my math says should be my MAX capable CFM, and where they cross is off the compessor map
Green X is where ID like to be at @ 21.6

I have all my math written down on scratch paper if anyone needs to see it. I think that covers my question. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
A 19T upgrade would help you a lot.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
my kinda thread! I've been looking into the same kind of things for my 15G.

how did you come up with your surge limit line? that's usually denoted on the compressor map itself, the far left lines... the light green looks more like a spoolup line to me.

anyway, what I've learned:
you can't just slap a 19T wheel and cover on. they won't fit in the housing, even if you rebuild to a "superback" style bearing. it won't clear properly.
solution: ARD 19T conversion wheel with a smaller exducer diameter
Billet Aluminum Compressor Wheel, TD04HL, 19T Conversion

problem:
even if your compressor can flow 360+hp worth of air, the TD04H turbine can't shit that much out, so you're effectively limited to ~330hp.

solution:
ARD 11 blade exhaust wheel
11 Blade TD04 Turbine Wheel

this opens up the hotside enough to flow 400hp, or at least max out the 19T compressor wheel.

I'm seriously thinking the ultimate d-series street turbo would be a 19T compressor/ARD TD04H exhaust setup. that's more than enough to get you 350whp in a TD04H/Greddy footprint, so you get fast spool and compact packaging

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
The TD04H-15G has a bigger turbine than the TD04-19T
The gain will not be really noticeable.

The 19T has a big compressor wheel and compressor housing and a small exhaust housing and small turbine wheel. Not a good choice IMO.

BUT, fit the 19T compressor side to the 15G and it might do something worth the hassle.

Otherwise have a look at VF turbos or go TD05.

TD04 turbos do not like to work for a long time on 22psi +-300hp, this is max.

·
Registered
92 cx
932 Posts
I think the solution is waiting for a 19t to pop up for sale somewhere and get it rebuilt if needed. Otherwise you're going to need to run the 21.6psi and just deal with it because I think that's practically maxed out for you.

Or you could run any turbo of your liking that fits your manifold and DP

·
3,983 Posts
The TD04H-15G has a bigger turbine than the TD04-19T
The gain will not be really noticeable.

The 19T has a big compressor wheel and compressor housing and a small exhaust housing and small turbine wheel. Not a good choice IMO.

BUT, fit the 19T compressor side to the 15G and it might do something worth the hassle.

Otherwise have a look at VF turbos or go TD05.

TD04 turbos do not like to work for a long time on 22psi +-300hp, this is max.
there's no such turbo as the TD04-19T. it's only the TD04HL-19T, which is bigger than the TD04H turbine.

turbine, inducer, exducer , "trim"
TD04H 1.74 2.04 73
TD04HL 1.80 2.05 77

and IHI turbos are garbage

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Got a link to your build thread? Are you still using the greddy cast manifold, elbow, dp?
Yes.

A 19T upgrade would help you a lot.
Noted.

my kinda thread! I've been looking into the same kind of things for my 15G.

how did you come up with your surge limit line? that's usually denoted on the compressor map itself, the far left lines... the light green looks more like a spoolup line to me.

anyway, what I've learned:
you can't just slap a 19T wheel and cover on. they won't fit in the housing, even if you rebuild to a "superback" style bearing. it won't clear properly.
solution: ARD 19T conversion wheel with a smaller exducer diameter
Billet Aluminum Compressor Wheel, TD04HL, 19T Conversion

problem:
even if your compressor can flow 360+hp worth of air, the TD04H turbine can't shit that much out, so you're effectively limited to ~330hp.

solution:
ARD 11 blade exhaust wheel
11 Blade TD04 Turbine Wheel

this opens up the hotside enough to flow 400hp, or at least max out the 19T compressor wheel.

I'm seriously thinking the ultimate d-series street turbo would be a 19T compressor/ARD TD04H exhaust setup. that's more than enough to get you 350whp in a TD04H/Greddy footprint, so you get fast spool and compact packaging
Ya. I really like the spool time of the 15g, and I have looked at the 19T as an option as well. I was more in favor of a GT2860rs. Just doing the same math on that flow chart, it seems more CFM for less psi.

The light green may be the spool up line. Again first time reading and doing the math on a flow chart. I didnt not realize it took so much to retrofit a 19T into the 15G housing. Good info. However I am definitely more enticed by the fast spool time. Makes a DD a lot more fun. Reviewing my datalogs, I hit 22.3psi..... It was cool out. When last time it was warm out.

Oh ya, can anybody tell me how to figure out where my rpm range would fit over/on this flow chart?

·
3,983 Posts
Yes.

Noted.

Ya. I really like the spool time of the 15g, and I have looked at the 19T as an option as well. I was more in favor of a GT2860rs. Just doing the same math on that flow chart, it seems more CFM for less psi.

The light green may be the spool up line. Again first time reading and doing the math on a flow chart. I didnt not realize it took so much to retrofit a 19T into the 15G housing. Good info. However I am definitely more enticed by the fast spool time. Makes a DD a lot more fun. Reviewing my datalogs, I hit 22.3psi..... It was cool out. When last time it was warm out.

Oh ya, can anybody tell me how to figure out where my rpm range would fit over/on this flow chart?
the 19T is just an out and out better/newer wheel. it should actually spool FASTER than the 15G

I use Squirrel Performance to do my calculations instead of manually plotting them out

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
A crazy idea I had before I decided to get a TD05 is do a TE04 turbine and exhaust housing with a 19T compressor housing and wheel.

·
3,983 Posts
A crazy idea I had before I decided to get a TD05 is do a TE04 turbine and exhaust housing with a 19T compressor housing and wheel.
right, that was my plan too before I found that ARD wheel, I think the TE04H wheel has a different profile than a TD series and would require a lot of work to be done on the greddy housing to get it to fit

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The greddy housing seems to be the universal problem.

·
3,983 Posts
the housing itself is actually the biggest TD04 housing out there, it's technically 8.5cm2

the ELBOW, however, is the issue. did you port yours at all to make 283whp?

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
there's no such turbo as the TD04-19T. it's only the TD04HL-19T, which is bigger than the TD04H turbine.

turbine, inducer, exducer , "trim"
TD04H 1.74 2.04 73
TD04HL 1.80 2.05 77

and IHI turbos are garbage
No, it does not work like that with an 19T.
The HL is for the compressor housing, to be able to nest the big comp wheel.
It uses an TD04 core and TD04 exhaust housing and a TD04L turbine wheel.

The small exhaust side on this turbo is holding it back a lot. I have used it before. Great turbo for smaller engines to make power.

PS, no hard feelings!

·
3,983 Posts
I'll agree the saab-type housing is garbage, but the wheel itself is technically bigger.
the greddy 19t has the exact same hotside as the greddy 15G

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
@ Dirtyd, I like stealth316, except for all their calculations are based off their 3.0L V6, which makes for harder interpretation.

the housing itself is actually the biggest TD04 housing out there, it's technically 8.5cm2

the ELBOW, however, is the issue. did you port yours at all to make 283whp?
No. I think the reason is because I can run a lot of timing with the E85. I have seen some write ups about DYI elbow porting but Im unconvinced it will help as I hit 20+ with no modification. Sorry when I say housing I was referring to that shit elbow. But I have heard the cast mani is not the greatest either.

Really starting to like the 19T idea more and more however.

Holy crap, from ARD, 19T compressor wheel $215.00, and the 19T housing is $195.00, a local speed shop has my GT2860rs for 350...... Damn it. I hate when this happens. But the GT2860rs will need a new mani and dp/elbow to work... so what to do.....

@ SOHCitTOem No build thread but I think this will cover it... may be missing some stuff. cant remember everything.

Tune:
Crome Pro
Innovate LC-1 WB

Block:

d16z6
YCP Vitara 75.5mm teflon coated pistons
Custom H beam rods
ARP rod bolts
Clevite 77 main Bearings
ACL Rod bearings
Ported Oil pump
ARP Head studs
Fully balanced rotational assembly
ACT Street light flywheel

Head:

Deburred / No casting lines
Supertech springs
Stock cam comp, 59300 waiting to go in
stock valves
stock retainers
stock keepers
Edlebrock 4754 intake manifold
840cc Injectors
Walboro 255lhp
AEM Tru-Time
Omni 2.5 bar MAP

Turbo setup:

TD04H15g turbo. (its the greddy kit one, I want to max this out before i get a new one) <== which I just did. lol
Greddy cast mani
Internal Wastegate (basically held shut) <== Helper spring
Hallman MBC set at 21.6psi
FMIC
2.5 Exhaust

Suspension:

ES hyperflex bushings
Koni Yellow Shocks
Ground Control extended top hats
Toyo Proxes R1R 215-45-16
Wilwood 12.25" Big brake kit
Flea bay Springs

Gearbox:

ACT 6 puck, pressure plate 378 ft/lbs rated
S20 gear box
New bearings

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
right, that was my plan too before I found that ARD wheel, I think the TE04H wheel has a different profile than a TD series and would require a lot of work to be done on the greddy housing to get it to fit
I wasn't going to use a Greddy housing, I was going to use the TE04 and hybrid it with the 19T compressor housing and wheel.

If you wan't big numbers out of a greddy, why not get rid of the elbow and go with a full down pipe?

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
Go with the GT28RS :D
Simple adaptor on the exhaust manifold. And the down pipe should be cheap :)
And I second Honda DNA on the full down pipe :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts