Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If you're trying to squeeze that last horsepower or two from your motor, then you might consider something like this.
Get a ram or cold air intake, header, 2-2.5" exhaust first.
Then think about internals. Either, head work, or high compression pistons or both. Too far down this road however, and you'll have to start investing in tuning equipment like a VAFC and dyno time. (You're better off with a WBO2 controller/data logger.)
What do you want from your car? A street warrior, or a comfortable and quick car?
-ic

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK ok ok, heres the list of my mods so far so everyone knows: Weapon R CAI, catback exhaust, DC 4-2-1 header, test pipe, MSD coil and ignition, comp cams stage 1..I think thats all I want to maybe get a stage 2 and get new crower springs anf retainers, and then I was thinking of maybe a jackson blower? How does that sound??

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
if you're going to go Forced Induction, aim for that now. Don't waste your money on a stage 2 cam. These are designed to scavenge intake charge by having the exhaust and intake valves open at the same time. This is just a waste if combined with a blower. (The charge just pushes right out the open exhaust port and you don't build good pressure.)
Many companies make Forced induction specific camshafts though.
If you're not going to do Forced induction, you might go for higher compression. You can start with milling the head maybe .030" and getting a decent port and polish. Add to that a 3 angle valve job with flat faced valves. Then get some nice springs and retainers, then a stage 2 cam will make a much bigger difference.
After that, if you wan't to go all out, you can swap different pistons in your bottom end for more compression. A nice way to go is pick up a used short block and when you rebuild it, just put in bigger pistons (or you can research and find a different model bottom end that will inherently net higher compression.) This lets you take your time and build as you have the money while keeping your car on the road.

-ic

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where can I GO for NICE head that I dont need to send my core in and I can just buy one from them? when I buy my head I am gonna get new valves, springs and retainers as well.... I like that idea..... whats a good stage 2 cam???

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
www.exospeed.com offers headwork and for an additional fee can even supply the head. You could also pick up a head on ebay. If you are going to buy a head, might want to consider picking up a z6 or y8 head and doing a mini-me.

as for the tb spacer, I wouldn't bother.

before you do any of this, consider picking up an ex tranny.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 96 ex with the d16y8........ exospeed does look like a good source for getting my head and all of the necessary stuff....I just done want to send as head in and have my car down...yanno

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
you would have to work that out with exospeed. you may have to pay full price up front. they send you the new head and then you send them your factory head back and you get some of your money back.

but that's up to them. you would have to contact them and discuss. or you could always get an extra head from ebay or here for about 100 bucks and send them that. then you have your race head and your factory head. you could keep the factory head for later or sell it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts