Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of not tapping the oil pan, but instead drilling a hole just large enough to jam the fitting in and just JB welding the fitting in?

W

·
0 Posts
konigcivic said:
thats how i have done it before..

i just use a 1" drill bit and then use a 3/4"npt to 3/4" barbed fitting.. it threads right in to the 1" hole..
I would cover the drill bit with grease and drill slow to help keep metal shavings out of your oil pan. That is of course if your drilling the pan installed on the motor.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
i took my oil pan off then cleaned it then drilled it cleaned it, then put it back on
i used a hole bunch of brass fittings to do mine thow... it took forever

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good info... hmmm... maybe I should have looked at the paper my stealthmode kit came with. I don't remember seeing any instructions though...

OK, this weekend, oil pan will be coming off and drilled :)

I'm going to have to rig it so the oil goes straight through from the block to the pan though since I'm not ready to install the turbo. Just wanted to have everything ready. The hard part is deciding where I want to drill because I don't have my downpipe made... but I think if I put it all the way to the right side (if you're looking at the front of the car), my fabbed up downpipe will clear it.

·
Shoot me!
2000 hatchback
6,890 Posts
I have the same flange on my greddy kit for the return line drill 3 holes and used some hondabond just for good measure its been 7 months and i've had no problems.The only problem i have with oil leaking on my turbo is the vtec solenoid gasket keeps shitting out on me every 3 weeks with new gasket.

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
makku said:
good info... hmmm... maybe I should have looked at the paper my stealthmode kit came with. I don't remember seeing any instructions though...

I'm going to have to rig it so the oil goes straight through from the block to the pan though since I'm not ready to install the turbo. Just wanted to have everything ready. The hard part is deciding where I want to drill because I don't have my downpipe made... but I think if I put it all the way to the right side (if you're looking at the front of the car), my fabbed up downpipe will clear it.
you want to find out where the turbo is going to be a line it up with the drain flange/hole

the drain line is gravity feed so the less restriction the better

.. but personally, i wouldnt tap the oil pan unless you're ready to install

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
makku said:

you dont have to rig anything.. they sell rubber caps at napa that go over 5/8" or 3/4" nipples so you can just cap it with a clamp.. and yes take the oil pan off.. i got some shavings in my pan when i did mine and for the life of me i could not get them all out.. my solution was take the oil pan to a manual car wash and spray the shit out of the inside with the high pressure gun.. works like a champ, something for you to keep in mind if your in the same situation..

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
WeldStyle said:
I would cover the drill bit with grease and drill slow to help keep metal shavings out of your oil pan. That is of course if your drilling the pan installed on the motor.
i dont know where you got the idea to quote me like i didnt take the oil pan off.. isnt that common practice to take the pan off?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
ryan89crx said:
yes, i would NEVER try and drill the pan without taking it off. it doesnt take shit for shavings to ruin a motor
exactly.. thats why i didnt even mention it in my first post cause i always do it and think of it as part of tapping the pan..

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Just a FYI Makku. If you are using the stealthmode oil line kit an O2 bung is the same thread pitch and size as the fitting you are supposed to JB weld into the pan. So if you want you can actually weld the bung onto the pan and just screw in the barb fitting. Way stronger then JB weld doing it this way.

E

·
0 Posts
whoever said to drill the pan while installed on the engine..:stfu: that is the worst advice to give.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts