Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[my apologies for the lengthy post].

about a month ago, i installed a nitrous kit on my y8.. it had 10.5 srp pistons, stock rods, zex stage-2 cam and a chipped p08 ecu + i/h/e.

the workshop that installed the kit messed up due to an incredibly stupid and careless error when they installed the jet for 120 shot nitrous instead of 50..

anyway, after the piston in the number 1 cylinder melted, the rod bent and the block went to hell, they replaced the stuff just recently. They took an srp piston from another setup they had lying around ..the same 10.5 compression and installed that and my remaining three pistons in another block. besides that they ordered new rings and stock rods.

Two Questions.

1) Even though i know this piston they replaced had been run in another similar d-series setup for about 10,000 km's , wouldnt it mess up some sort of 'balance' when you put in just one piston from one engine and three others from another in a third block ?.. my pistons had about 10,000 km's on them too, and they're they exact same, but wouldnt it make a difference?...

2) i got my car back, they asked me to come back after the 'break in' period of about 300 miles where i shouldnt rev above 3-4k. The thing is, i hear this very weird 'tapping' sound..something like loose tappets but nastier which two of the mechanics at the workshop claimed were the 'rockers'.. They said after the break-in upon vtec activation the rockers would get lubricated and the tapping sound would stop.. even though some of the tappets are loose too but this sound is wayy nastier, like a truck. Is this true? i thought the rockers were lubricated before installing the engine head.. do the rockers make noise until Vtec-Activation right after a rebuild?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i dont think the pistong should be of any problem about the ticking i have no idea but if they dint do any head work they shoulnt tick at all or have to lubricate them just my opinion ...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They didnt do any headwork. at most they grinded the valves, the head was pretty intact after the engine went kaput from running lean.

They claim the rockers are making the diesel like tapping sound, and that upon Vtec activation after the break-in, the sound'll go away. I know the loose tappets are responsable somewhat, but something else is up too

·
Registered
555 Posts
when you say grinded the valves are you meaning that they cleaned them? so there is NOTHING done to the head, its bone stock? are you for shure the tappings IS in the head an that it is the rockers?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the head has a comp 105300 (stage2) cam + comp springs and Stock Retainers. when i got the cam installed a long time back and hadnt adjusted the valve lash accordingly the car sounded like a diesel back then too, but at the moment the tapping is alot worse than before. I know part of it will get reduced once the tappets are done but i'm just making sure its the rockers that're responsable for the rest of it.

Besides that, i had them to a compression check which came out the same 215/ on all cylinders. I do think the tappings coming from the head and not the block itself. I'll check it again to make sure its not piston slap.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
turn on ur car n take off ur oil cap put ur fingers in there like LOL J/K
put ur ear next to the oil cap hea were the tapping is ocming from

·
Registered
171 Posts
check the valve lash, the tapping sound comes from the valves having different size lashes, they probably screwed all that stuff back in and never adjusted the valves so now there all at different heights and making the tapping sound.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
From the posts I couldn't tell if the valve lash had been adjusted recently or not? Start there...

·
Registered
1994 EH9
616 Posts
i had a tapping sound in my head. Come to find one of the valves were slightly lose. That may also be sumthing u wonna check. I had a very nasy sound and got worse when i reved it

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys..

well yes, if the sound doesnt go away after the break-in period i'll make sure their warranty covers it :p..

no the lash hasnt been adjusted. They said they adjust the lash after the running is complete. But i've had loose valves before , they just never sounded THIS loud.. its exactly like a diesel truck..the tapping..

which is why the said the rockers are mostly to blame because they havent been lubricated yet :S..

·
Registered
317 Posts
the rockers should be lubricated whether you hit vtec or not. While in vtec, it supplies a more sufficient flow of oil to the head. Thats all. Your problem is not the rockers. Your problem is you sprayed 120 shot of nitrous on that head on stock retainers and valves. Your also running a much bigger cam than stock. You may have, what is called "a floating valve". That happens when the spring does not pull the valve closed at the required speed causing the pistons to tap the valves. Try adjusting the valve lash and see if it still noise exists. If it does, pull the head and take it to a machine shop. Your problem is definately in the head.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts