Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHAT??!!!................WHAT???!!!!!!

SPEAK UP!!!........I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!!!

Yeah, this is a nice deep loud exhaust that looks like a damn rocket launcher sticking out from under your car.
So I guess some will love it and some will hate it.
I have it on my daily driver with a DC 4-2-1 header and a 2.5" resonated test pipe. It will definitly keep your ears ringing after a long drive, but I've gotten used to it.
100% stainless steel.
Absolutely no problems and going on my 2nd year with it.
It's a little pricey, but if you want the real deal, this is it.
There are so many immitators of this exhaust, but once you own the Tanabe SMR, you see why there are so many followers.
Only problem is, they will never be on the same level as the original.

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
does it follow the stock exhaust path, or does it straighten the piping??? just curious???

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
gimmemore4door said:
I know I have a pic somewhere that has the stock and SMR layed out on the ground next to eachother.
I'll try to find it so I can put the pics up.
please do :TU: :TU:

·
Neighborhood Asshole is Back!
02 BMW; 00 Civic EX
1,892 Posts
I have the old tanabe racing medallion... good exhaust but a lil loud... if you listen to music at any sorta decent volume though it is nothin

·
Registered
780 Posts
loud = good... as long as it doesnt block out all the engine noise... and as long as it doenst sound like a sonic assault weapon/cofee can... but thats just my personal preference- i like exhausts that look closer to stock... but maybe thats just cause im a sleeper freak... once i save up the money ill be gettin an Apex'i World Sport2 system for my car... - more power... subtle, and not too loud...
but hey- loudness rules!... as long as you can still hear your BOV... lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm definitly going for something much more subtle next time.
The exhaust has brought me a lot of unwanted attention from police and punk kids.
Anyone have any recommendations?
I may end up doing a custom made one with a completely straight pipe, with a resonator welded mid-way, but I'm not sure what muffler I would use.
Prefferably something stock looking, with a straight through design...

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
or just run open down pipe....
who needs exhaust..lol
right now I have the greddy b and s pipe (lots lighter) with Tanabe racing medallion on the back...
its a lot quieter!!! and I have more mid and top end..

·
Registered
780 Posts
gimmemore4door said:
Well I'm definitly going for something much more subtle next time.
The exhaust has brought me a lot of unwanted attention from police and punk kids.
Anyone have any recommendations?
I may end up doing a custom made one with a completely straight pipe, with a resonator welded mid-way, but I'm not sure what muffler I would use.
Prefferably something stock looking, with a straight through design...
punk kids- such as myself... - as for my own exhaust... if i cant afford the Apex'i WS2- im gonna get one of those cheap as hell ricer ones- just as long as the piping is less restrictive than stock- and im gonna cut off the cofee can, and weld it to my stock muffler- but since the muffler is restrictive as all hell- im gonna cut it open and get rid of about half of the junk in there... weld it back together- and then weld the pipe on... not quite sure what it would sound like...- but one things for sure- it wouldnt attract much attention- people would just think you've got a hole in your muffler...

·
Registered
780 Posts
gimmemore4door said:
I like a nice loud exhaust for NA, but I'm going the FI route so I want something much more mellow so I can enjoy the sounds of the turbo :bubbrubb:
im makin my car a sleeper... ive got eagle rods, srp pistons, greddy turbo kit with a MBC, ecu chipped by makku, 10 psi... no front mount... ill have to get one soon though... lol- STOCK EXHAUST SYSTEM... and an auto tranny...
stock exhaust wont help me all to much... but uhh... im savin money for when the tranny goes lol, cause hey- 10psi built d16z6... uhhh, the auto isnt gonna last all too long...

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
someone correct me if i am mistaken but I believe the baffling inside is serviceable by drilling out the rivets on the sides of the muffler, removing the tip end and replace the old baffling with new stuff available from Tanabe. then just re-rovet the tip back on and you're good to go :TU:

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
gimmemore4door said:
this is true with the Tanabe mufflers.

I don't know about any others...
i dont kno of any other companies that you can do that other than tanabe.

i love my espelir but i wish you could change the baffling out in my jgt500 when it starts to go. id rather do that than buy a new exhaust.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts