Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New struts: 1987 Honda CRX HF

HOLY SHIT! That was the smile on my face when I hit that first hard turn. My car has had its original struts. my 1987 crx hf has 174k miles and is 100% stock.

Quick thought ... this forum has been boss since 2006 when i bought my rex, and has helped me with everything like BHG and timing belt change.

Just installed new OEM-rated KYB gr2 excel struts all around. Difference is HUGE and noticeable immediately.

Going around turns is a world of difference...the way the car stays flat and stable is insane. way better improvement than I imagined. I actually have to steer less to make it turn the same amount, and i can DESTROY turns now. not to mention even driving on the highway feels new.

Annnd....it only takes 2-3 hours of work. WOW!!
Love this forum and my little old beastly rex 100%

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HOLY SHIT! That was the smile on my face when I hit that first hard turn. My car has had its original struts. my 1987 crx hf has 174k miles and is 100% stock.

Quick thought ... this forum has been boss since 2006 when i bought my rex, and has helped me with everything like BHG and timing belt change.

Just installed new OEM-rated KYB gr2 excel struts all around. Difference is HUGE and noticeable immediately.

Going around turns is a world of difference...the way the car stays flat and stable is insane. way better improvement than I imagined. I actually have to steer less to make it turn the same amount, and i can DESTROY turns now. not to mention even driving on the highway feels new.

Annnd....it only takes 2-3 hours of work. WOW!!
Love this forum and my little old beastly rex 100%

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
That is interesting! It has been years since I had a first gen so I havent kept up with them. I assume the coilover goes in the stock shock location. Do they usually remove the torsion bars or just unwind them a bit?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just finished the job the other day. Fyi, in stock form the front has no springs but does have a torsion bar. The rear has springs but no torsion bar.

What a fantastic vehicle, 1713 lb. curb weight turns on a dime. On a dime. lol.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Years ago I had an 86 si that I got for $150 bucks because it had a bad head rebuild. I put on a B2 head, mpfi dizzy, mpfi intake, a modified idler pulley, an obd0 pr4 running turbo edit, and a saab t3 turbo and intercooler.

Thing accelerated great, FAR better straight line traction than my 88 b16 that had WAY better tires. Me and my buddy used to call it the white elephant though because it handled about like an elephant on a serious bender. I learned how to drive on an 86 ford aerostar that had front end damage and was missing the front swaybar, I have driven multiple cube vans and large trucks, and that 86 si was, and still is, the worst handling vehicle I have ever driven by a wide, WIDE margin.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Why do you think that was? Even with the old struts in my rex, it could take turns quite fast and keep predictable traction. I gained experience on empty backroads, where it tipped so much in turns that it made passengers scared. Also, the bad struts were causing an understeer. But even at break point, the tires would always "sing" evenly, and if i lost a little grip, i could turn the wheel more to compensate. really fun actually!

Now with these new struts, I can take a turn at a higher speed, but even before them, this car was so nimble and maneuverable.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
No clue why it was so terrible, I have owned several second gens, and the worst of them, which was a terrible suspension hackjob that handled way worse then stock, handled 10x better than the stock suspension on the single 1st gen I have owned.

That thing was scary doing freeway turns at the speed limit. Once my buddy took it to a flat dirt lot and was screwing around at maybe 10mph while I was outside the car watching. He turned quickly, a turn that any stock 2nd gen would take without sneezing, and instead of sliding, he almost rolled the car. He got one of the rear tires 12-15" off the ground... At 10 MPH or less... On a super low friction surface. That suspension looked dead stock, but god was it terrifying.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
That is interesting! It has been years since I had a first gen so I havent kept up with them. I assume the coilover goes in the stock shock location. Do they usually remove the torsion bars or just unwind them a bit?
Don't know, but came across them when a friend recommended I check their page for "The Bucket".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts