Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish me luck and safety! Having the learn the "pedal dance" to remove the TRC and VSC is fun...like an old Nintendo code for the car! ROLF!

Airing down the BFGs and will attempt a semi-burnout for the first time in this ride. Yeehaw!

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Consistent 9.0 passes last night. Dropped psi down on the BFG KDWs to 25 after a few heat cycles. Didn't have any issue with traction off the line. Just need to work on the auto-launch...brake/gas pedal off the line to raise rpms.

By brother had video, but needs to find his HD cable.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on! all stock?
Yes sir! 9s flat in 80+ degree weather...humidity at like near 100%. It started raining an hour after I ran like 12 times in a row.

If I get the hang of launching at a higher rpm using the double foot on brake and accel pedals, I'll just make it I'll the 8s I'm sure. Plus, if the weather was cooler it'd help too. But this is SC, and cool temps just don't happen in the summer. LOL!

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
did you try leaving from idle?

preloading the drivetrain takes the strain off it, but it will slow you down. you need to HIT the converter to take advantage of an auto....

think of it like a manual trans RWD car without traction problems but not power limited.. if they rev to 6000 rpm then feather the clutch instead of dumping it at 6000 rpm they will leave slower (again without traction problems)...

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did you try leaving from idle?

preloading the drivetrain takes the strain off it, but it will slow you down. you need to HIT the converter to take advantage of an auto....

think of it like a manual trans RWD car without traction problems but not power limited.. if they rev to 6000 rpm then feather the clutch instead of dumping it at 6000 rpm they will leave slower (again without traction problems)...
Left at idle for the first like 8 passes, then figured wth I'd play around with a foot on the brake and at the same time a foot on the gas reving up to like 3k. Am I on the right track? I know I need to launch higher, but is this process optimal for this auto trans RWD car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
no from my experience foot braking will slow you down.... people do it just to preload the drivetrain. to HIT the converter you have to just SLAM the throttle when the last amber lights, rolling into the throttle will hit it, but not as hard. hitting the converter makes the RPM flash to the stall speed of the converter and you get a boost of torque instantly so to speak.

this might not work well on a drive by wire car when there is some delay in throttle engagement.

i'm actually surprised you can foot brake that car to 3000 rpm.....

what kind of trap speeds are you pulling in it?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Surprisingly the drive-by wire on these IS350s are pretty responsive. I noticed that when I did brake/gas off the line that my times where in the 9.1s, instead of 9.0s. But perhaps it was cuz the motor was quite hot after 10 passes. LOL!

Why surprised it would hold...curious.

Trapped 80/81 mph consistently. 2.2 ft 60 fts, but always staged shallow because I used to roll into it when I was boosted in the Honda. So that was what I was used to. I'll start staging more deep in the future.

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
i'm just surprised the converter is that loose. i have alot more experience with domestics, but generally you'll only see 2000rpm ish foot braking before starting to spin the back tires.

81mph is good enough for an 8.7 et with a 1.9 short time or better.... what do those cars weight? must be pretty heavy, a 260whp mustang will run almost identical (8.9 @ 81) and i know this car (00 gt vert auto) weights in the 4000lb range.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'm just surprised the converter is that loose. i have alot more experience with domestics, but generally you'll only see 2000rpm ish foot braking before starting to spin the back tires.

81mph is good enough for an 8.7 et with a 1.9 short time or better.... what do those cars weight? must be pretty heavy, a 260whp mustang will run almost identical (8.9 @ 81) and i know this car (00 gt vert auto) weights in the 4000lb range.
Maybe I should try the "performance" mode? The Lex can shift between normal, snow, and "performance". Something about reving a little higher than 6500, and more agressive timing? IDK, I'll have to see for myself.

Curb weight is 3450 + my fat ass + plus fuel. I was running under a quarter tank.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
pretty solid numbers man my D17 was running 9.0's right around there on slicks. but ur cars obviously a lot more powerful as i couldnt get better than 14.12 :(

pretty quick car you got tho

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Danz!

Reason the "performance" setting wasn't used was because other Club Lexus members had said that using it actually hindered overall performace...as the car/ecu wasn't use to that setting and hadn't had time to learn the best air/fuel trims and such. But IDK, it's all hear-say. I might try it anyways next time.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man, it's been more than a month since I've been to the track! This stupid SC weather, it either rains in the evening due to thunderstorms...or it's around 100 degrees out. Sucks sucks sucks!

BTW, I was blasting A/C last time at the track...any gains to be had with it totally off?

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Corolla
272 Posts
^ Ya the water run off from the a/c doesnt get on the track hahaha

1 - 20 of 39 Posts