Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
a city truck
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does taking your a/c out really give you like 3hp? just wondering cause with the turbo mani i got i don't think that i'll be able to have a/c and i was just wondering if/since i'm taking my a/c out will it really add 3 ponies.

thanks guys

alan

·
Registered
Donkey
742 Posts
ya postwhore....umm i mean sqad, is right ;) you wont get much power, but you will get more free rev-ability. Less stress on the pulley = less weight to spin.

J

·
0 Posts
the major gains are the engines revs easier, and you lose about 50-55 lbs of the front of the car, specifically the left front, where the driver sits, so this will help you with your cross weights somewhat

-Juan

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i took off the a/c on my 96y7. its not going to be a big deal but you will notice it..id say a couple hp will be free to go to your wheels instead of goin to turn the compressor..

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
how do you get the freon out?? (r12)

S

·
0 Posts
the easy way (sorta illegal) or the legal way (recovery machine). u can eather just losen the shrader valve on the big line in your a/c, or take it to a shop and they can recover it for you (for a fee as well). however it is illegal to release any refrigerant into the atmosphere bc it supposedly eats holes in the ozone layer and shit. in most cars they are now r134-a, however there are still some r-12 systems. more then likely about 99% of the members on here have 134a. im not going to get into their differences so ha! but honestly take it out to ur favorite quiet spot where no one else is, and losen the valve core on the bigger line (usually is soaked with water and very cool to the touch when running the ac) and just let it slowly leak out. i dont suggest pulling it completely out, u risk burning yourself if you arent careful and dont know what to expect. remove the lines, remove compressor, remove condenser, and honestly the evaporator is too big of a pain in the ass unless uve done it a few times and so i wouldnt worry about it. hope this helps u

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
dammit, where can i get it done for free, i just paid meineke's gay ass $36.67 to remove my freon r12

·
Registered
a city truck
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thesqad127 said:
when do you think you'll be boosted? and when are you back in the US ?
well actually, i'll be trading in the 97 hb and getting a 94 coupe, they guy is going to give me some money on the trade (enough to finish the turbo parts plus some other stuff). so hopefullty by the end of this month or the beginning of next month, and my tour is up here in june 06

1 - 9 of 9 Posts