Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this should be in general tech but since its a 7th gen i figure i will get the best help in here...

my dd is a 2001 civic 4dr ex, and i just picked up a set of minty 2005 sedan tail lights for a bit of a newer look to the rear end.

i got the truck ones in just fine but the ones in the rear quarter wont budge. i got the 3 bolts from the inside and by looking at the new ones i noticed a screw that goes in from the bottom, i got that out......and they still wont come out. it looks like it has 2 prongs on the bottom that slide into a bracket of some sort, do i really need to pull the rear bumper to do this?

thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
2001 Honda Civic Ex
52 Posts
no, bumper does not need to come off. suction and sticking from the weather seal will create a tight fit. take a hammer and softly tap it from the back on the bolt heads to break the seal. and i do believe that only 3 hex nuts hold this thing on from the back...

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got them loose, I tried tapping them out...to no avail.....there is a screw that comes up from the bottom that is a pain to get to but on either side of the screw there is inch lone tab things that go strait down into the same area that the tail light was screwd into.

The problem is if those go strait down I cannot pull the lights strait out because they catch, I cannot lift the tabs out of there holes because of the threaded rods coming out the back of the lights.....it really seems that the bumper has to come off or there is a trick to it that I coulnt figure out

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Figured out the trick....

Remove the bumper :)

Really easy..well I didn't completly remove it, two screws in each rear fender well and two 10mm bolts right inside of the trunk seal area down by the bottom of the tail lights coverd by black rubber plugs.....took a total of 2min tops...

Whole install time maybe 20-30min

·
Registered
2001 Honda Civic Ex
52 Posts
ahhhh...well, im glad you figured it out. I was partially incorrect on my statement as i missed that you posted your car as a 4 door which gives you different taillights, as mine is a 2 door. But the lights look great. good job

·
Registered
72 Posts
those tail lights look a lot better. i also like the depo tails or whatever they sell on ebay where the bottom of the outside lenses are clear as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts