Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Civic VX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Review on an Ilovetacotaco cast log intake manifold.

Fitment: 92-95 D15/D16 (May fit more?) Claimed A/C P/S compatible.
Price: $79.95 (Ebay cast mani, its cheap)
Shipping: Fast shipment, terrible packaging (So bad the gasket sent with it was in two pieces, but I didn't buy it for the gasket)
Fitment on vehicle: Haven't fitted it yet, will update.
Quality: I made the assumption before buying that I would be in there cleaning up tons of cast marks and smoothing edges. Not the case. The interior was surprisingly clean. And only the WG bolt holes needed to be deburred. The only other area I cleaned up was all mounting bolt hole surfaces. This was easy work with a file.
Hardware used: The only real hardware used here is mounting studs for the turbo. I did test fit these with a gasket in there. No way you're getting a nut and lock washer on there. Also the hardware was not of any high grade, so it will all be getting replaced. But again, I bought this for the manifold and nothing else.

Pics.
Shipping

How it came out of the box.

Ran over this surface quickly with a file just to get rid of any raised edges. Otherwise looks pretty straight.

Same story here. And you can also see where I hit the head mounting holes with a file.

Deburred the W/G mounting bolt holes. Pay no mind to the blocking plate, I built and installed that myself. It is not included from tacotaco.

Outside. Homemade W/G blocking plate again.

Macro closeup of one of the cleaned areas.

Questions or comments, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
Civic VX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean, its a solid piece. I was only slightly upset about the shipping condition but its cast, you might dent it but you're not gonna break it. Not without heat anyway.

But taco was cool enough to give me back some money towards another purchase in his store. Since neither of us wanted to deal with the hassle of shipping claims and returns...

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Looks good. Nicely done!

·
Registered
Civic VX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did you use to debur the ports?
I didnt actually do anything to the ports. It was a pretty smooth casting. I could go in and polish the ports but everything even down to the collector is pretty well cast.

The bolt holes for the WG were deburred with a die grinder and a ball style carbide bit. If I were to polish the ports/runners I would use the same setup and different carbide bits.

My horsepower goal doesn't really require me to do that, though it would be fun just to try it as a test of skill.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
But taco was cool enough to give me back some money towards another purchase in his store. Since neither of us wanted to deal with the hassle of shipping claims and returns...
Darn, I should have tried that when I purchased mine! Mine came banged up w/holes in the box but everything survived. None of the nuts/studs fell out the gaping holes, which was surprising.

Does anyone know what manifold this is based off? It looks like the chinese used a BLOX b-series manifold "shrunk" the appropriate amount for the lesser bore spacing & changed it to a D16 flange. In any case it looks to be one of the best designs out there for D16's regarding WG placement & turbo flange angles. I'd like to see how well it can fit with A/C since I'll be keeping AC when I swap to this manifold.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Seems expensive. I got what looks to be the same thing for 65 bucks. I love taco has good customer service but i ordered a shift knob from him that didn't fit so he sent another one that was the same thing...so I just have 2 shift knobs sitting around doing nothing now lol. Its actually the right thread pattern for my genesis though.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
That same design seems to be copied from all of the different ebay sellers.... Im sure they all come from the same chinese factory....

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

·
Registered
Civic VX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wonder if you have to used an elbow if you are running a Tial WG like I had to with my manifold.
My current turbo has an internal WG, but if I go external I will likely run an elbow.

Does it fit on the head? Heh.
Good question. Heads at the machine shop still. Guess I could slap it on the D15Z1 and see if it bolts up (assuming they share the same pattern? idk.)

ah i order mines some months back. Didnt seem to have these problems.

And if your wastegate is around 5inchs it will touch the outter part of the hood and your need to trim the webbing for it doesnt rub.
Well I would guess there are parts in their warehouse that have been there and moved around for years, and some that have not. Perhaps you got lucky, or maybe my postman is a real dick.

Seems expensive. I got what looks to be the same thing for 65 bucks. I love taco has good customer service but i ordered a shift knob from him that didn't fit so he sent another one that was the same thing...so I just have 2 shift knobs sitting around doing nothing now lol. Its actually the right thread pattern for my genesis though.
They have been reasonable with me. And Ive ordered at least three different items from them. I chose the manifold for its WG position. I know you can get cheaper ones that have the WG port located on the #1 runner but I dont personally like that design.

That same design seems to be copied from all of the different ebay sellers.... Im sure they all come from the same chinese factory....
Wouldnt surprise me, but mine is genuine JDM, says so on the casting:tt2:

It's a decent piece. I ended up porting it and cleaning up all the threads.
Also they are about 56 bucks shipped New Honda Civic T3 Cast Iron Turbo Exhaust Manifold D D15 D16 CRX T3 T4 D Series | eBay
Never noticed that one. Seems like it may have been a better choice for WG positioning when/if I go external. And it costs less. My google skills need work.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Works As Supposed to.

Packaging is uaully a mess trying to cram these things in.

Turbofitment is OK,

Comp. Housing on Pass side requires block to be ground (For me), and Comp to the Drivers side will poke into where a full length rad or AC would go.

Angle is kinda Annoying,

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I'm super interested in fitment! Any pics or more comments to come?
Ill get you some pix later on today.

I have the same manifold and a test block and turbo.
Last i remember its abot 4 inchs from turbo to ac comp. But that doesnt include a flange.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts