Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Civic VX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Review on an Ilovetacotaco Adjustable Cam Gear.

Fitment: 92-95 D15/D16
DISCLAIMER: The listing did not dictate whether or not this cam gear was for a Z6 or Y8 motor. Z6 and Y8 require different gears as they have a 4.7deg difference in timing. It is my current assumption that this is in fact a Z6 gear but I will update when I know without a doubt that its correct. CONFIRMED: This part is in fact a D16Z6 cam gear. I just did a few side by side comparisons and they match up perfectly.
Price: $29.99
Shipping: Fast shipment, good packaging. No complaint here.
Fitment on vehicle: Haven't fitted it yet, will update.
Quality: eBay part... Soft metals and cheap hardware.
Hardware used: Some allen bolts well under the length they should have been. They needed to be at least 5mm longer to make use of all the threads machined into it. Obviously there were no instructions with this part, so I assumed 9ftlb's of torque would do just fine on the upgraded bolts. This is when I found that the aluminum used was soft. It did become slightly marred by the torque I subjected it to. But again, its a $30 eBay part. Its to be expected.

If I had one other complaint it would be that the cam gear did not have timing marks. Though this is pretty easy to figure out without them. I just put sharpie marks on the proper teeth and called it good. From the looks of things the "0*" mark is spot on with a stock gear. Though I'm sure it isn't perfect.

I also spun the cam gear to make sure it didn't have any wobble or hop to it. Just making sure it wouldn't throw a t-belt or go up and down causing a pulsing like timing effect(make sense?). Anyway that looked good. So I set it aside until I am ready to build.

Also, if you are buying this for your D15/16 make sure you order a woodruff key (shear key) for a B-series motor (ex. 2000 Civic Si). The new cam gear doesn't come with one and the stock cam gear has the key built into it. I got one from a local dealership for $2.09, but I think they go for $5.00.

Part number I used to order from my Honda dealership. PN:90741-657-000 Description: KEY (25.4X13)

Pics
(I didn't take any with the stock hardware, it can be seen here though: D15 D16 Adjustable Cam Gear 92 93 94 95 Civic Hatchback | eBay)

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
I have the VMS one they advertised it as 92-00 D15-D16 but Z and Y have 4.7 degrees difference in timing, but it didn't work for me as they sent me the one for y8 and i have a z6. I have AEM Tru-time now but I hope it works out for you

·
Registered
Civic VX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the VMS one they advertised it as 92-00 D15-D16 but Z and Y have 4.7 degrees difference in timing, but it didn't work for me as they sent me the one for y8 and i have a z6. I have AEM Tru-time now but I hope it works out for you
Good to know.

His listing just said D15/16 and made no comment on Z6 or Y8. But since I matched it up to my old gear Id say its a Z6 gear.

Good disclaimer though, Ill add that to the review.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts