Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
EG9
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90' Ex Sedan. Ever since I dropped to 2nd gear @ 7K+ my tach has been jumping from 4k to rev limit on the gauge and this is starting to become a headache getting on the freeway. Am I going to need to pull the entire cluster and tighten the screw or is a replacement in order?

I am sure I am not the only one who has ever had this problem but the search function begs to differ.

·
My 91 Crx Hf
97 Civic Coupe
2,164 Posts
I'd say loose connection or messed up VSS wire, mine use to do that but my speedo didn't work cause my VSS wire was messed up (and it only takes 30 minutes or so to pull it all out, and check the connections)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
your speedo, his tach, not related.

Start checking all the connections inside the dist. along with the rotor and ground wires.

SOunds like an ignitor is dying.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Agree on the igniter! I've had the same issue and I think I've narrowed it down to that as well. GL!

·
My 91 Crx Hf
97 Civic Coupe
2,164 Posts
haha wow yea, im retarded I forgot about my ignitor problem I had too, bought a new one from honda for like $117 or something, took apart my dizzy, one of the screws were loose, then sold the new ignitor for $50 because honda wouldn't take it back....

·
Registered
EG9
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been having problems with the screw in the rotor coming out so it seems it is about time to replace the the dizzy ehh?

·
My 91 Crx Hf
97 Civic Coupe
2,164 Posts
Ya, have a jdm d15b non vtec swapped in but I am sure the igniter is one and the same. There is some build up inside the dist. as well.
yea they are all the same, I sold my ignitor to a guy on craigslist with a 96-00 ex and it worked out (i bought it for my a6)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts