Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no tach in my auto dx, which I feel I need one for some reason (autox maybe). I know I can swap guage cluster for the other civics that have the tach built in, however my understanding is that they are off a .5 rpm? Also I would have to get one from an automatic right? So no Si guage cluster?

Or should I just go seperate unit? Ill eventually get a few more guages, but I dont want any flashy guage pod shit, so a guage cluster with a tach deletes one, and I can still hide the rest reasonably.

Any suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
it depends... so you're probably going to go for an lx auto gauge cluster... and then if you want more rpms in the tach... swap the tach from an ex cluster. or you can do a DIY - there's one where i forgot his name, put's an aftermarket tach into his cluster and it looks really clean.

·
Registered
119 Posts
a separate 2'' tach that you can mount on your steering column can be bought for $25(including shipping) off of ebay

i bought a 4'' bride tach complete with mounting bracket and built in shift light for $38 with shipping.

i wanted a si cluster at first, but they go for $55 and up on ebay(for a 5th gen civic)

do some looking, type in gauge cluster or tach in ebay search and see what you like/can afford

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey ghost civic

Hey, when i saw your car the other day and i must say the lights synchronized with the sound system is awesome! Your not bad either.:wink:
--turbogirl

·
Registered
1988 Civic DX
500 Posts
with the cluster tach i find it to give the interior a clean look ratehr then the external... but if u mount the tach somewhere nice, and its not like a 5" tach then go for the external... they r easy to wire up, 4 wires and they come with complete instructions so its an easy mod... good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know ebay has some clusters with the tach for a reasonable amount.

I guess my big question is are there any significant advantages to having an external vs. internal tachometer?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts