Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic Luxline
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there everyone.
First post on here, joined in 2016. I feel like I should introduce myself, but don't want to derail my own tech question :).

I've got a 1996 ek hatch that was running a boosted D16y9 non vtec motor. (south african car)
The motor blew up so I bought a D15z motor, it's got a vtec head on stamped P08-6, it came with the harnass and ECU.
To get to my question, neither the tacho or speedo works since the swap. I think it's got something to do with the dizzy on the motor and the wiring from the car. I hope someone might be able to help me on this.
I'm using the cars original ecu with a piggy back chip controlling vtec, the ecu that came with the motor also gave the same problem plus when driving it would rev up but wouldn't speed up (ie. limp)

I'm really lost on what it could be, it went from a non vtec boosted car with a home made harness to a n/a vtec. So it could be a number of things.
I'm trying to attach images, have a tough time

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    825.1 KB Views: 21

·
Registered
Honda Civic Luxline
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, only 1 pic uploaded.
The ecu in the car: 37820-P2C-Y01 137-149231 DR
Ecu that came with motor: 37820-P2K2-V01 154-106515 D4

The dizzy has a 7 pin plug, I've got a spare Dizzy from my old motor that has a 10 pin plug.

·
Registered
Honda Civic Luxline
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Howzit BeerDrinkin,
Yes I did (not myself, auto elec), I got a wiring loom with the motor and that was put in. the wiring loom that was in was hacked to death, the new loom was OEM. I got the ECU with the motor but that didn't work so I put back my ECU that I had. But even with the ECU that came with the motor this problem existed.
The D16y9 used a 10pin dizzy and this D15z has a 7 pin.
I know there's 8 & 10 pin Dizzy's, haven't seen this 7 pin before.
I'm attaching a pic,

Attachments

·
Registered
Honda Civic Luxline
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh BTW, thanks for the reply Bud.... weiser.

That's right... you saw what I did there :)

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
I would check fuses and grounds for the vss and tach. We don’t have that distributor here in the USA. I don’t know the wire colors for that distributor usually the blue wire is for tach,there could be a brake in the wire.

·
Registered
Honda Civic Luxline
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 2jzdreamin.
Where would the grounds be located for the Tach and VSS?
VSS would explain the speedo not working, i'm using my old s40 gearbox that I had, it worked then.
I tried to google that 7 pin dizzy no luck. I also don't see either of those ecu part numbers on a list I saw here on D-series. I think I need to go get a can of contact spray tomorrow and a multi meter. I'm also getting a faint battery light, even though I put in a new battery today.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
For the vss looking at the plug from where the wires go in with the release tab facing up black= ground and is on the left. Middle is 12 volt switches power and right is signal.vss could have a bad connection or a broken wire in the harness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts