Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have been trying to figure out what each little hole is on my turn so can someone please tell me or show me a diagram. I have looked for half an hour on my phone and this is the best I could find but its not exactly easy to see what everything is

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Not sure what your trying to ask here.

Are you wanting to run a t25 because this one is on a cast mani with a internal waste gate. Has oil and water cooling lines. Is this for a civic. What motor are you running? Info is key to getting the answer you want

T25's are great for DD and moderate hp they can bring on the boost early when you may need it. Boost typically comes on around 2500-3500 rpm's.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
There is an oil feed on top of the CHRA, it will likely be the smallest fitting. This is where you feed the turbo high pressure oil from the oiling system.
Underneath will be a flange with a large opening, this is where the oil drains back to the pan.
On either side will be equal sized threaded openings which are for coolant. One side goes to the hot side of the cooling system, the other goes to the cold side. It doesnt matter which direction, and not much flow is required.

Also, The CHRA should never be clocked more than ~20 degrees from vertical. Doing so will likely cause the drain to back up, and if it is bad enough it will cause oil to seep past the seals.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well yes this is for a civic figured you guys would have seen my other thread "boosting my 96 hx" well anyways full tilt got it right on the dot thanks for answering my question. Trying to figure out the little thing that I don't know before I try throwing everything on

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I know its probably not a civic but thanks guys. I will have to check out your build because it sounds like I could probably find all my answers there

·
Registered
764 Posts
So many people say go oil restrictor and this is very BAD advice with a few exceptions. I will explain:

Most people assume a turbo is fed oil for lubrication and this is only half right. The oil is also used to cool the turbo parts. Heat is the sworn enemy of a turbo. As heat builds up parts expands and contract. The oil is used to help keep the parts in a certain range and if they over heat and expand too much then something has got to give. This creates excess wear with a precison piece like a turbo even .0005" of whear will render a turbo useless.

Also if you tune the boost up what you are essentially doing is increasing the heat inside the turbine housing so more can be converted from thermal energy to mechanical energy. More heat means more expansion. More expansion without properly cooled bearings means more wear.

This is why a water cooled turbo is vastly better. It keeps the oil at a more stable temp and keeps parts from expanding and contracting too much.

Also if parts start to exceed a certain temp the oil will begin to coke or break down. It literally turns into a hard like sand substance that clogges ports up and cuts off circulation to certain parts of the turbo. Very bad. You have to realize the oil clearance on a T3 turbo is .0035" on the outside journal bearing and .0010" inside journal bearing both which are less then the average thickness of printer paper.

Some turbos are exceptions. Ball bearing turbo have small passages and it is easy to push oil out the turbine housing. The oil pump moves the same volume but as that volume flowes through smaller passages it increases its psi. Think of water coming out a water hose then think about adding a nozzle.

The reason why you add a restrictor to an eGay is that they have poorly designed passages and more importantly the oil seals are shit and the gap is larger then most. What you really should do is use stagger gap oil seal so that you are not decreasing flow and you are not getting oil blow by. On the eBay turbos you really need the extra flow to keep the turbo properly cooled.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
It also will depend on how you run you oil line.
( I have a sandwich adapter and 1/4" oil line, so I need one w/ a Garrett still)
All the oil stuff just comes down to the turbo ur running. Some need it some dont. Just just dont want to much of a flow or the pressure will build up n the turbos oil chamber and pudh on the seals. Cheap seals will give. Good seals will hold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts