Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goal is 185-200whp. I'd be using a T25 on a Vx 1.5L block- 7.00 natually deep dished pistons,86-89 LS teg rods, a front mount intercooler of an Audi, Crane Hi-6 & ls 91 coil, Apexi Vacf, B&M commandflo, and oil-cooler from an old Toyota AE86 GTS. No real engine management yet (gonna use a P28 chipped hopefully). i want to keep the boost low for a nice daily driver- 6-8psi. Whats recommended besides just a B&M for increasing the fuel pressure on a LOW boost set-up? Should i sleeve the block. Almost forgot, gonna use a Z6 head&cam w/just a basic valve job - maybe light polish. Last but not least.... how many degrees should i retard the dizzy timing or whatever timing that turbo has fiddled with? Any serious advice appreciated ! :idea:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,228 Posts
need to re-DREAM your combo.

$1000 just to get the LS rods to work.

that is just the start of your problems.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You can't run ANY boost on what you listed. Cranking the fuel pressure up is going to cause some bad problems and that's very unsafe to boost on. You can't run boost with no management. Well, you can, but not for long until your pistons turn into butthole soup.

If you're going to run the AFC, get a set of 450cc DSM injectors. You can run around 10psi on that.

What do you mean by a "chipped ECU"? I hope you don't mean one of those ebay chips. :?

Read up in the "Engine Management" section.
http://d-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=5872

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
transzex said:
need to re-DREAM your combo.

$1000 just to get the LS rods to work.

that is just the start of your problems.

:?: how do you figure it will cost that much? I know a few people that have done it for under 150.00

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,228 Posts
gonna cost $800 to have the crank welded up and cut

REREAD his post......

2 clues.

1) D15
2) D16A/LS rods

Dig out the bearing specs, submit a answer.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
In other words...what Bone is saying is the journals on the block are too small to accept a D16 crank. OR the rod journals are too LARGE to fit on the VX crank.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
R u kidding? $800 to use LS rods from a Dseries 86-89 teg A1? That sounds way out of what i have been readin on these boards. Then again im new to turbonium™. has any1 on this board actually boosted a VX? or even a JDM D15B vtec? Thats what i got in my hatch right now,but i want to build up a seperate motor to install in the fall. Hmmm Perhaps a Z6 block with A1 rods and Z1 pistons would be a better combo?

What is out there as far as 'management' and can you estimate a price range on those? :roll: . Better for em to learn in advance then a wasted ghetto turbo project :shock:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,228 Posts
D16 rod journal = 45mm
D15 rod journal = 42mm

Cost to weld up rod journal, then cut to proper size is $200-300 PER JOURNAL!!!!!

You have FOUR to do.

Z1 pistons, WHY?????

Also why the A1 rods? They are the same as the Z6 rods.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats why im PLANNING buttmunch, i didn't say i've done it yet :x . Damn i thought this board had less flamers than H-T but i guess i was dead wrong. I'm still learning about turbo, that should be obvious from how i phrased my question. If you know how to answer it in simple terms, please do so. Otherwise, you are not helping for squat :roll: . To clarify any confusion on my question: I want to use VX pistons because they are already DEEP DISHED :!: and supposedly great for turbo. Also those pistons would save me money. I don't know if they'd work great for sure in a 1.5L block or with a specific crank. What i recall from readin some rags & posts on various boards is that they are good for that purpose(vx pistons & LS rods from A1 block). :idea: If it ends up that i can only get a vx block- it sounds to expensive to adapt a VX crankshaft to or whatnot to accept A1 RODs with the Z1 pistons. I won't use a Z1 head regardless because it has small valves and wouldn't take much abuse. Not to mention the restrictive egr crap and wimpy camshaft. For crank-pulley i'd use any w/o ps or ac on it. Less weight on rotating mass :wink: . R U still with me on this? R U on the same page? :arrow: There ya go, now that you've put down your gallon of Hatoraide™ - we can proceed to the Promised Land :werd: I go to the wrecking yards here weekly so i can yank about any Dseries parts for cheap (eg & up is harder to come by but occasionally i come up on a FRESH KILL :) ). What other stock D series rods other than A1 LS rods can handle up to 225ish or 200hp and fit with my VX pistons? Or is it more adivsable to use another model D piston that will fit the LS rod, and still lower my compression. Keep in mind this is a streetable turbo project and i'd like to know WHY peeps say one thing over another so that i can make my own decision based on reliable feedback, not heresay. The head i will most likely use is from a Z6,stock cam and head internals. Might have the head extruded or just polished if i run low on funds after getting engine management. Nobody has yet given any suitable evidence why one engine management is better than the other yet. Timers,b-controlers and wastegates are cheap from my last engine supplier & thats where i will most likely be getting my T25... from off a S13 or S14's SR20DET :oops: . Im working with what i got fellas. Peace.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about you go with a Y7 bottom end. They can take 250WHP on a daily basis, and they are cheaper than shit if you look around? And for the second time... don't lower your compression

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
isnt lower compression more desirable for turbo? hence the VX pistons

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
If not enough compression like 6:1, your car will have about 50hp when no boost, and when time to turbo spool, they will give you another 50hp, lower compression make spool slower and very ugly when not on boost, forged aftermarket piston aren't all the time with dish but flat top with another material, design . they are more than only dished.. they have minimal compression ratio too. Like someone said before, get y7 with some fuel magement, try it about 7-8lbs of boost and enjoy :)

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Yep run the y7 block with a y8 head and mani thats what I am going to be running with a 14b off of a CX mani!! I cant wait psshhhh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts