Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 cx(daily)
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about switching from my topmount to ram horn??? I'm not sure that i really need a topmount to achieve my goals. My goal is to hit somewhere in the 450hp to 50 hp range or put down a 10 sec run. I am having to switch motor setups due to the fact of blowing my block up 2 weeks ago so i'm not sure what route i'm going.

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
if a topmount will enable you to achieve your power goal plus some, why would you want spend the extra money to downgrade to something that will also enable you to achieve your goal??

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
i say sell it, and get a mini ram, they will get you to 450whp, but with alot quicker spool time. top mounts on a 1.6 is silly imo. alll that extra piping that has to fill with backpressure to spool her up, vs mini ram, big diff.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
im s top mount fan on engines that are made to rev high. B series.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Bah top mount is for race purposes hands down I dropped my full ram for a topmount why because who gives a fuck about spool when you got antilag and if you can get your head to flow decent........ If you plan on having it for the streets go full ram or mini ram

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
yeah if u want 1500rpms of full race power, go with a top mount lol but if ua want 3000rpms or more of power, mini rammmmm/log mannnifold. a top mount on the street with a D would suuuccckkk, but i mean its proven the cast manifolds can get you 400+whp and 10sec. and not have a laggy ass mofo car.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
I promise you I will have plenty more than a 1500rpm powerband kiddo......And who said anything about a street car huge difference. Anyone with a dual purpose car makes huge sacrifices to keep it streetable thats why I decided to say who cares about the street the track is where its at

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
we arent talking about your build here. he said 450whp is what he wants, a topmount is needed period. end of it.lol dont always need to look cool to go fast.

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
Why would it matter if you hit full spool on the street or not? You're not suppose to be haulin that much ass on the street...I mean an occasional pull, but even then with 450-500 I'm sure you'll beat whom ever you are trying to pull on. I'm goin with Top mount.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Why would it matter if you hit full spool on the street or not? You're not suppose to be haulin that much ass on the street...I mean an occasional pull, but even then with 450-500 I'm sure you'll beat whom ever you are trying to pull on. I'm goin with Top mount.

who said anything about racing on the street? out of boost driving around that shit would suck balls.

·
Registered
90 civic si
1,536 Posts
Bah top mount is for race purposes hands down I dropped my full ram for a topmount why because who gives a fuck about spool when you got antilag and if you can get your head to flow decent........ If you plan on having it for the streets go full ram or mini ram
bingo my thought exactly though top mounts look sexy

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
lol, have you had a boosted car smurf? down shift and boom? thats what im trying to say. the top mount wont do that, you downshift and wait for it, wait for it....boom. then gone. lol smaller manifolds = more powerband!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpTw4xNqcRc&feature=fvw

goto 55secs. thats a top mount!

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
yes i have, and im building a new one right now.
its a give and take sir.

The smaller the manifold the closer the powerband is. however it gives up on the top end.
Top mounts high a much higher power band, its out more and bigger gains on the top end.

I guess we dont know who he wants.

A high reving car or not.
high power band,
or mid power band.

All these things add into ram horn or top mount or log manifold. Each part we add to our cars is a give and take issue. now there might be a lot of "give" with a top mount but who doesn't like to keep making boost into 9k rpm? So lets wait and see what is goals are.

Im still pissed that be blew his engine up anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!

fyi: i bought a top mount so - top mount gets my vote ;)

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Lets see I have had all 3 cast log thingy full ram and now topmount. I can speak on 2 cast log thingy to full ram not much diff. With a little more timing Im sure they would have been about the same in the low to midrange. But the topend with the full ram was a bit diff though there was about the same amount of lag with both so...............But I will say that with the topmount It will prolly spool up ~500rpms later but will allow that bitch to breathe so much more.........And no never had a turbo car.....j/k Ronny

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts