Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this idea going around in my head and I wonder if it's actually possible and worth trying. I've been thinking about finally doing some engine mods (nothing fancy, just probably Stage 1 stuff) and one thing that I want to try to stay away from is louder exhausts. Sure, they might flow better, but I really want to maintain my semi-sleeper illusion.

I've been thinking about possibly getting an exhaust from another Honda model and swapping that for my stock one. Like, basically get the exhaust from the cat-back. Would there be any OEM Honda exhausts out there that would work well paired with, for example, a DC 4-2-1 header? I have a friend with a welder who completed fab school, so cutting and welding flanges isn't such a big deal.

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
In my old setup D15B vtec in a EJ1 I ran a RSX type s resonator and muffler.

I bought the whole cat back from a salvage yard for like $40 so. Went to a muffler shop had them retro-fit it into my car 2" piping all the way. What a difference in power compared to stock and was quiet as f*ck.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoa nice! So basically, if I get an exhaust from a higher performing model, I'll be in good shape. But I assume I shouldn't go with one that has too much flow or I'll lose power right?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Get and si b16 exhaust and mod it to fit.
Or just get and eBay 2.25 exhaust and a good muffler. Twin loops drop the noise or even get a stock si muffler and weld to the end.

I see your in CA a emissions will be ttough. You might wanna just get an si setup.

·
Registered
97 honda HX-07 STI
286 Posts
I had this idea going around in my head and I wonder if it's actually possible and worth trying. I've been thinking about finally doing some engine mods (nothing fancy, just probably Stage 1 stuff) and one thing that I want to try to stay away from is louder exhausts. Sure, they might flow better, but I really want to maintain my semi-sleeper illusion.

I've been thinking about possibly getting an exhaust from another Honda model and swapping that for my stock one. Like, basically get the exhaust from the cat-back. Would there be any OEM Honda exhausts out there that would work well paired with, for example, a DC 4-2-1 header? I have a friend with a welder who completed fab school, so cutting and welding flanges isn't such a big deal.
I was curious about this. One thing I can tell ya and I have heard a of a lot people doing them. But The DOHC ZC motor Header pipe will bolt up and breaths a lot better. And as far as the sleeper idea that is cool going around and saying yea just a stock D series. That is kinda what I am doing. However I did fudge on a aftermarket header. So far what I have done is on a mini me D15B7 bottom end Z6 head( I am going to do the 3 layer mod when I reinstall a new head gasket) Y8 IM and Aftermarket exhaust 2 1/4 exhaust. I am going to install f22 Vtec injectors and high flow fuel Rail and F22Vtec TB. And u can bolt up Y8 valve springs and they are stiffest stock springs u can find. Again key here is stock and if you can find a D15ZC Vtec motor (Note VTEC-E) it has the most aggressive cam profile out of all the SOHC cams. Then when it is all said and done. A good tune. Maybe lightened flywheel and Crank pulley. I think it should net 150 at the wheel...Maybe not sure but that is where I am going. Also you can shave the head I have heard. But if u do the 3 layer mod then it will need to be less.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
An oem exhaust is an oem exhaust, it has little impact on emissions if you have the correct converter. In the end, a pipe is a pipe and many people sell their OEM exhaust with low miles when they upgrade.

If you look on youtube, you'll find a lot of Civics & Integras with non-civic/teg OEM exhausts. I got a 06+ Si exhaust for free, so that's going to be used on one of my cars, and I was about to use an AP1 muffler on another car til I found a mint OEM GSR axle-back. Only the del sol & hatchback civics are hard to retrofit, since there's much less length before the bumper.

One muffler people used in the past for higher-HP Honda street cars was a single-exhaust 2JZ muffler. It would flow as well as an aftermarket muffler but sound like stock. They're hard to find since they haven't been made for years. I'm sure there's a lot of newer options given so many "plain jane" cars now have powerful engines with single exhausts.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sound like I have some options to play with now! I'll probably look for Si exhausts or Integra exhausts. I feel like the ZC exhaust might be hard to find...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts